Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat

Is There Another Language Apart From Spanish Used in Argentina?

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Old January 25, 2019, 03:16 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Inglés
Sancho Panther is on a distinguished road
Is There Another Language Apart From Spanish Used in Argentina?

My (Spanish) wife and I watched a tv interview with a relative of that poor, deceased footballer Emiliano Sala the other night, neither of us could understand a single word he said, nor even what language it was - is there a language other than Spanish used in Argentina?

Such a dreadful tragedy - he seemed to be such a modest, charming chap with a great future ahead. I'd hate to think there was anything sinister in his death as the papers here are suggesting.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 25, 2019, 03:45 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Just like in Spain, there are another 100 languages or so spoken in Argentina, but the interview was surely in Spanish.

Don't worry. When they started to screen a lot of films and TV programs from Spain in 1983 I couldn't understand spoken Spain's Spanish (Italian was a bit easier to me, even without having studied it). Later I grew accustomed to new sounds and lots of new words like canijo, cubata, tiquismiquis, cateto, bombona, guindilla, friqui, etc. Even now I stopped watching La Casa de Papel in episode number 3 just because the language was taxing to me, even being it slightly neutralized. But I enjoyed watching Merlí in Catalan with English subtitles.
Old January 25, 2019, 04:29 AM
Emerald

My wife (born in Extremadura) lived for thirty years in Barcelona and cannot understand a word of Catalan. Our daughter spent a 'gap year' (which lasted for fourteen!) in Benidorm, Alicante, her partner had many friends from Columbia, I understood them perfectly; their Spanish was more 'sing-song' but perfectly comprehensible.

The first time I heard Catalan I thought it was Portuguese!

The worst Spanish I ever heard was in a documentary on UK tv featuring a minor nobleman in Córdoba (Sp.) who had transformed his stately home into a small museum. He was well-educated and quite rich but his diction was quite appalling.

I called my wife from the kitchen and asked "Has this poor bugger got a deformity in his mouth or something?". "No" she said "That's how they talk in Córdoba! Don't worry I can't understand him either!".

Last edited by Rusty; January 25, 2019 at 06:57 AM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts
Old January 25, 2019, 05:48 PM
Diamond

ROBINDESBOIS is on a distinguished road
Today I watched an argentine film called "desaparecida" sometimes I had to read the subtitles to identify what they were saying , it was the words we usually use but they spoke very fast and it sounded different.
I din´t know there were different languages in Argentina, rather than Spanish, with its characteristics.

Last edited by ROBINDESBOIS; January 25, 2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old January 26, 2019, 04:16 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho Panther View Post
My wife (born in Extremadura) lived for thirty years in Barcelona and cannot understand a word of Catalan.
Curious. I can more-or-less follow it without taking any lessons. Maybe it's because I know more French than her?

Quote:
The first time I heard Catalan I thought it was Portuguese!
I often get the impression that Castilian has diverged the most from the common ancestor of the Romance Iberian languages. I live in a Catalan-speaking area of Spain and visit Portugal for a few days most years, and I can confirm that Portuguese sounds closer to Catalan than it does to Castilian.
Old January 26, 2019, 06:24 AM
Emerald

Many years ago I watched (and really enjoyed) an Argentine film "Bonbon el Perro" and understood most of it. I wish they'd put it on again!

I especially loved the tender, romantic scene where the dogo escapes to the builders' merchants yard and meets a scruffy old perra caliente, so romantic (not)!

Last edited by Sancho Panther; January 26, 2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old January 28, 2019, 02:12 AM
Diamond

ROBINDESBOIS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho Panther View Post
Many years ago I watched (and really enjoyed) an Argentine film "Bonbon el Perro" and understood most of it. I wish they'd put it on again!

I especially loved the tender, romantic scene where the dogo escapes to the builders' merchants yard and meets a scruffy old perra caliente, so romantic (not)!
well, it is the same language for sure, maybe I didn ´t express myself well, I said I didn´t know they spoke as many different languages as in Spain: Like Basque, Castilian or Spanish, Catalan and Galician.
Regional variations don´t count.
Old January 28, 2019, 02:17 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBINDESBOIS View Post
well, it is the same language for sure, maybe I didn ´t express myself well, I said I didn´t know they spoke as many different languages as in Spain: Like Basque, Castilian or Spanish, Catalan and Galician.
Regional variations don´t count.
There's a big Native American population in Argentina that has a big influence on the country, and native languages (Quechua and Guaraní among others) are spoken maybe not so much in Buenos Aires but more likely in areas north and west.
Old January 30, 2019, 05:25 AM
Emerald

I could never understand my father-in-law (muy extremeño) and my wife used to laugh at me, saying my Spanish wasn't as good as I thought it was! One year we stayed at his home in Barcelona for a few days before catching the train to stay down on the beach in Tarragona.

We took a taxi to the ralway station and my F.I.L. sat by the taxista, and jabbered away to him all the way. As we neared the station the taxista said "¿Perdón señor, es usted extremeño?", y le contestó, "Sí, ¿porqué?". "¡Pues es que no entiendo ni siquiera una palabra que Ud dice!".

Estaba un poco cabreado, ¡pero yo estaba reindo a carcajadas!

Last edited by Sancho Panther; January 30, 2019 at 05:28 AM.
Old February 03, 2019, 01:42 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
There's a big Native American population in Argentina that has a big influence on the country, and native languages (Quechua and Guaraní among others) are spoken maybe not so much in Buenos Aires but more likely in areas north and west.
Argentina is also home to the largest Welsh-speaking population outside of Wales.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: