Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

Girl Murder on Irak

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old June 23, 2008, 12:40 PM
Filósofo y Poeta

Alfonso will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Me parece que ella usa pero porque está de acuerdo, pero
con tal de que exista el deseo de cambiar.

Gracias por lo que dice de me suena y me parece. No estoy completamente seguro de cómo se usa me suena cuando significa me parece.
Great explanation, Poli. You are imagining Elaina's intentions. Maybe written words, sometimes, are not enough to convey completely and exactly what we mean. But (I disagree), if I take Elaina's words without any affective approach neither to them nor to her, I would think that there is some kind of opposition to something before said. It could be your words or not. To make this meaning disappear, I think it would be enough to substitute pero with además. This is, to me, the way to sum and not to subtract.

It's not common to use me suena in the place of me parece, so it's only a chose you made that, in that case, worked.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 23, 2008, 01:14 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
Great explanation, Poli. You are imagining Elaina's intentions. Maybe written words, sometimes, are not enough to convey completely and exactly what we mean. But (I disagree), if I take Elaina's words without any affective approach neither to them nor to her, I would think that there is some kind of opposition to something before said. It could be your words or not. To make this meaning disappear, I think it would be enough to substitute pero with además. This is, to me, the way to sum and not to subtract.

It's not common to use me suena in the place of me parece, so it's only a chose you made that, in that case, worked.
-----

Gracias Alfonso ahora entiendo lo que dices. En inglés no tenemos una palabra igual a además. Usamos pero. Ahora veo que pero es una palabra de contención en español. Pero puede confudir y enojar cuando la verdadera intención es benigna. You will find that native English speakers who are fluent may use pero when they mean además.I will try to remember to use además to avoid confusion in the future.

Last edited by poli; June 23, 2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old June 23, 2008, 01:41 PM
Filósofo y Poeta

OK, Poli, but think I'm being really punctilious, and trying also to make a reflection about this kind of little words. I know what Elaina meant (I suppose: she's not opposing your words to hers, but her thought to reality; she means, everything should change, but there is not the desire to change it). I only wanted to point out that her post can be easily taken up took wrongly. But it also depends on the attitude of the interlocutor (a well intentioned one: you; a bad intentioned one: I).

Anyway, a common saying in Spanish is los peros de algo, meaning the things that oppose to something:

-Nos vamos de vacaciones.
-¿Qué peros me vas a poner esta vez?

Nothing to correct in your post

Last edited by Alfonso; June 23, 2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Correction thanks to Poli
Old June 23, 2008, 02:02 PM
Diamond

Elaina will become famous soon enough
Gracias Alfonso y Poli.........es cierto todo lo que dijeron. Tendré en mente las explicaciones y seré más cuidadosa cuando tenga el impulso de usar la palabre "pero". Buscaré otra palabra que sea más apropiada.

En este caso..........

NO HAY PERO QUE VALGA

Elaina
Old June 23, 2008, 02:27 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Hello, friends.

I was without the City, for two days and really, I didn't want take a computer, I've readed your all comments about of the thread of the muslim girl, but I believe that all you have deviated quite of the thread, 'cause somehow, the important is that, I don't believe that we could to change the world, but if we could to try of be a little awarer, in the happen on the world, although it continue happening, when I saw the video, I felt hate, courage, for the video, and all we can't to help them, of form direct, of person to person, but if we teach it to our children, or people nearby to us, the respect to the people, for what in some future, all it could be better.

Have a good day

I hope you all are well.

I await your corrections.
Old June 23, 2008, 02:29 PM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
OK, Poli, but think I'm being really punctilious, and trying also to make a point about these kind of little words. I know what Elaina meant (I suppose: she's not opposing your words, but in reality; she means, everything should change, but there is no desire to do so). I only wanted to point out that her post can easily be taken up wrongly. But it also depends on the attitude of the interlocutor (a well intentioned one: you; a bad intentioned one: I).

Anyway, a common saying in Spanish is los peros de algo, meaning the things that oppose to something:

-Nos vamos de vacaciones.
-¿Qué peros me vas a poner esta vez?

Nothing to correct in your post
------------------
Otra vez muy informativo. Gracias.
Old June 23, 2008, 02:41 PM
Filósofo y Poeta

Of course not, Crotalito. We didn't deviated from the subject of the thread. We centred on it.

Since this is a language forum, we mostly are not interested in philosophies derived from a video. Think that some of us don't want to watch a woman being stoned. And others are wondering what such a video is doing here, if not to arouse a conversation about language.

Nevertheless, thank you very much for trying to be so informative about what's happening around the world and, especially, about what we should do to change our neighbourhood.

Last edited by Alfonso; June 24, 2008 at 01:25 AM. Reason: corrections thanks to Jane
Old June 23, 2008, 03:16 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Of course, Alfonso.

Is not, a great video, and I know that is nasty that, but simply, that types of videos are circling on the websites, is my point of view.

Regards.
Old June 23, 2008, 03:20 PM
Emerald

Jane will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Of course not, Crotalito. We didn't deviated from the subject of the thread. We centred (on it).

Since this is a language forum, we mostly are not interested in philosophies derived from a video. Think that some of us don't want to watch a woman being stoned. And others are wondering what's doing here such a video,(what such a video is doing here) if not to arouse a conversation about language.

Nevertheless, thank you very much for trying to be so informative about what's happening around the world and, especially, about what we should do to change our neighbourhood.

Last edited by Jane; June 23, 2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old June 23, 2008, 03:46 PM
Emerald

Jane will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Hello, friends.

I was without out of/ outside the City, for two days and really, I didn't want to take a computer, I've readed your al your comments about of the thread of the muslim girl, but I believe that all you all have deviated quite of from the thread, 'cause somehow, the important thing is that, I don't believe that we could to change the world, but if we could to try of to be a little more awarer, in the happen on of what is happening in the world, although it will/might continue happening. When I saw the video, I felt hate, courage, for the video, and all we can't do to help them, of form direct, (in a direct form/way) of person to person (I´m not sure what you mean by this...), but if we teach it to our children, or people nearby to us, the respect to/for the people, for what in some future, all it could be better.(somehow/maybe, in the future, it could be better.)

Have a good day

I hope you all are well.

I await your corrections.
I hope I didn´t change your post...

Last edited by Jane; June 23, 2008 at 03:52 PM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: