Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Why do people speak in their country a language that is not theirs?

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old October 26, 2010, 10:34 AM
Opal

lingwista is on a distinguished road
Why do people speak in their country a language that is not theirs?

(From Wikipedia): "The Belarusian language (Беларуская мова, BGN/PCGN: byelaruskaya mova, Scientific: belaruskaja mova, łac.: biełaruskaja mova) is the language of the Belarusian people. It is the official language of Belarus, along with Russian, and is spoken abroad, chiefly in Russia, Ukraine, and Poland. Prior to Belarus gaining its independence from the Soviet Union in 1992, the language was known in English as Byelorussian or Belorussian, transliterating the Russian name, Белорусский язык, or alternatively as White Russian or White Ruthenian. Following independence, it was also called Belarusan.
Belarusian is one of the East Slavic languages, and shares many grammatical and lexical features with other members of the group. Its predecessor stage is known as Old Belarusian (14th to 17th centuries), in turn descended from Old East Slavic (10th to 13th centuries).
According to the 1999 Belarus Census, the Belarusian language is declared as a “language spoken at home” by about 3,686,000 Belarusian citizens (36.7% of the population) as of 1999. About 6,984,000 (85.6%) of Belarusians declared it their “mother tongue”. Other sources put the “population of the language” as 6,715,000 in Belarus and 9,081,102 in all countries. According to a study done by the Belarusian government in 2009, 72% of Belarusians speak Russian at home, while Belarusian is used by only 11.9% of Belarusians. 29.4% of Belarusians can write, speak and read Belarusian, while only 52.5% can read and speak it. According to the research, one out of ten Belarusians does not understand Belarusian."

When I went to Minsk for the first time, in – think so – 2002 and tried to speak my strange and vernacular Belarussian coming directly from villages close to the Polish border, I met an aggressive attitude among (almost all) my interlocutors. They did not want to use Belarussian and explained me it was better to communicate in Russian. It was more serious to speak Russian in the Belarussian capital as people, at a certain level, were ashamed of their vernacular origins.
I have been, from that moment, interested in observing the behaviour of people in such countries, because I would like to understand reasons why they reject their identity. Why does a nation reject its distinguishing mark, its language and shift to a stronger neighbour?

Last edited by Rusty; October 26, 2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: removed links

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old October 26, 2010, 11:47 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingwista View Post
...Why does a nation reject its distinguishing mark, its language...
It seems to me that the first question to ask is whether the assumption you're making here is valid. I'm not convinced that it is: it seems to me that the true distinguishing mark of a nation is its political independence.

As to speaking a "foreign" language as a mark of sophistication, that goes back millennia. Educated Romans favoured Greek over Latin.
Old October 26, 2010, 12:15 PM
Opal

lingwista is on a distinguished road
Claro, perdona mi Castellano un poquito estrano, pues la independencia politica de Bielorusia se hace, por lo que se yo, tambien con la lucha linguistica contro el Ruso. El idioma quiere tambien decir una tradicion y como reconoscer una tal sin un idioma natal?
Pues hay que decirlo claramente que la independencia politica de Bielorusia es una ficcion y no se quanto tiempo aun durara.
Old October 26, 2010, 01:19 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
I think the reason many people in Minsk prefer Russian is that Russian is
a more powerful language. By this I mean Russian is spoke form Novosibersk to the border with Poland not to mention New York and Los Angeles. Speaking Russian makes you a citizen of the world.
My barber is from Uzbekistan but speaks Russian amongst his collegues.His boss is Ukranian. They speak Russian together.

Last edited by poli; October 26, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old October 27, 2010, 01:48 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
A fluent speaker will have no problems, but if the person you talk to has only general knowledge, he will prefer to change...
For example Irish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language) has not many fluent speakers, I think if you go to Ireland and try to speak Irish, people will ask you to switch to english (unless you met casually with a fluent irish speaker...)

best regards
Old October 27, 2010, 02:06 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
In some bilingual or multilingual communities, there can be a language considered socially dominant. Surely in your community, Russian has a social status that Belarusian doesn't have, although the last one is a mother tongue. Usually, language is associated to a culture and maybe people from there prefer be associated to a Russian culture than a Belarusian one, and the consequence is that instead of having the richness of a bicultural society, Belarusian are prone to monoculturalism.

Do you know which language is used in school or in official places? If Russian is used, that's the reason why Russian is the dominant language and it has the social status. The way of changing this depends on the linguistic policies that the Government is ready to do. The first change must be in the school, and a bilingual teaching in both languages would be the best way to give the social status both languages need.
Old October 27, 2010, 02:12 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
language is associated to a culture
...associated with ...
Old October 27, 2010, 02:48 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
...associated with ...
Thank you, sir.
Old October 27, 2010, 04:40 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
An additional aspect is the fact that the language has a rich literature and creations.

In the example of Catalonian, you have really good authors who kept the language alive when the Franco dictatorship repressed and forbade the use of Catalonian... People who went to Mexico (exiled) like Josep Carner... I don't know if Belarussian was 'attacked' or not, but the important factor is if the language is being used as a means of "communication" rather than a means of "signification". I.e., if one talks Catalonian in Barcelona could mean that he is "nationalist" (I don't think so, nowadays, but it is an example) wanting the independence of Catalunya from Spain.

The other aspect, besides the School as Irmamar mentions, is the TV, Radio and other "mass media" communications. If these are not in Belorusian... the language will be less 'promoted'.

By the way, Linwista, welcome to the forums! (Your Spanish seems decent enough and/or getting there!) I hope you enjoy yourself around here!
Old October 27, 2010, 01:31 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
In my case I speak English because that language resulted for me a hobby and I like so much the language, thereby I can use in my professional career.

For that reason, I practice my English everyday.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: