Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Deber, necesitar, tener + que, conditional tense

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old February 04, 2015, 03:48 PM
Ruby

Native Language: American English
Roxerz is on a distinguished road
Deber, necesitar, tener + que, conditional tense

I've been curious as to the differences in these words. From my understanding, deber is a suggestion meaning "should or must" and necesitar is a "necessity/necesarry" and ´tener + que´is "have to". I dont really know how to use these 3 correctly in the type of sentences they belong to. Here in Mexico, I hear everyone use tener+que a lot more than anything. I asked a friend why sometimes I see debes and other times deberías when suggesting something and was told that debes is more of a must and deberías is more of a suggestion. To me, these words all have a similar meaning and almost can be used interchangeably but I would like to actually know when and where I should use one or the other.

Also, if I use conditional with necesitar or tener+que, necesitarías o tendrías que... how does the meaning change?

"The conditional is used to express probability, possibility, wonder or conjecture, and is usually translated as would, could, must have or probably."

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: