Old February 13, 2009, 03:33 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
DeanQuest is on a distinguished road
Talking Ya me voy!

Would someone please tell me if Ya me voy! translates to "I'm leaving now!"?

Also: Ya se fue!.....He(or she) has left!

Ahora venga!.....I'll be right back!

These phrases appear in a textbook our Spanish class is using. I am knew at learning Spanish, but I can usually make some sense out of the translation. The translations above don't make sense to me. I would just like to check the author's translation with the experts in this forum.

Muchas gracias,

DeanQuest

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 13, 2009, 03:52 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
irse = to leave
me voy = I'm leaving
te vas = you're leaving
se va = he/she/it is leaving, you are leaving
nos vamos = we're leaving
os vais = you're leaving
se van = they are leaving

ya me voy = I'm leaving now (already)

ya se fue = he/she/it left already

ahora vengo = I'll be right back (I'll be back (in a moment))
ahora venga = come right now
Old February 13, 2009, 07:57 PM
Opal

Gracias, Rusty.

Thanks for the conjugation. It did help in understnading the first two phrases. If asked to translate "I am leaving now!", I would have come up with "Dejando ahora!".

The last phrase, "Ahora venga!", still puzzles me. But I suppose there will be a great many spanish phrases that will puzzle.

Again, thanks for your help.

DeanQuest
Old February 13, 2009, 08:29 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English (USA)
tacuba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanQuest View Post
Thanks for the conjugation. It did help in understnading the first two phrases. If asked to translate "I am leaving now!", I would have come up with "Dejando ahora!".

The last phrase, "Ahora venga!", still puzzles me. But I suppose there will be a great many spanish phrases that will puzzle.

DeanQuest
Hi DeanQuest:

"Ahora venga" is using the formal command (or imperative) form of the the verb "venir". The familiar form would be "ven ahora".
Old February 14, 2009, 05:12 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Inglés
Sancho Panther is on a distinguished road
Quote:

DeanQuest

Re your first example employing the verb dejar in the context of going from a place, that is not the construction that would generally be employed there. As in English there are many uses of the verb 'to leave' -e.g. leave it alone; leave New York, leave it behind etc.; equally Spanish has many equivalents too. But to leave a place is usually translated as 'marchar' or just 'ir'; whereas «he dejado la cámera en el hotel», «déjelo así», «déjame en paz», are more usual appplications for 'dejar'.

Whilst what you said sort of wasn't wholly wrong but - «me marcho» or «me voy» would be preferable!

I only mean to help - so please don't be offended - and if I've not explained properly please ask for more clarification!

Last edited by Sancho Panther; February 14, 2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old February 14, 2009, 06:19 AM
Opal

Thanks, Tacuba.

I think I have some understanding of the verb, "venir", meaning "to come". What I don't understand is how "vengo" can also mean "come back". Is there something basic I am missing or is "Ahora vengo!" an idiom that needs to be memorized for its accepted meaning instead of being translated literally.

I may be making a big deal out of nothing here. I'm a technical type who is always trying to make logical sense of things, particularly new things. Perhaps I should just relax and accept translations as they are taught for now. Any advice?

Muchismas gracias!

DeanQuest
Old February 14, 2009, 06:58 AM
Opal

Muy amable, Sancho.

You offer a very thorough explanation. I think I now have a much better understanding of the distinctions between the verb's "dejar", "marchar" and "ir".

Regarding your concern of being offensive, I sensed no hint of it in your post. Just a sincere effort to offer assistance to the less-knowing. Thank you again for your kind efforts.

Tenga buen dia!

DeanQuest
Old February 14, 2009, 08:03 AM
Pearl

Native Language: English (USA)
tacuba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks, Tacuba.

I think I have some understanding of the verb, "venir", meaning "to come". What I don't understand is how "vengo" can also mean "come back". Is there something basic I am missing or is "Ahora vengo!" an idiom that needs to be memorized for its accepted meaning instead of being translated literally.

I may be making a big deal out of nothing here. I'm a technical type who is always trying to make logical sense of things, particularly new things. Perhaps I should just relax and accept translations as they are taught for now. Any advice?

Muchismas gracias!

DeanQuest
Usually "come back" would be handled by "volver" or "regresar". "Estamos de regreso" (we've returned), "vuelvo en seguida" (I'll be right back), "regresarémos en una semana" (we'll be back in a week).

BTW, if you ever visit Mexico, go sit in the plaza in whatever town you're in for an hour and listen to the mothers with their small children. "Ven acá, ven acá" (come here, get over here). "Córrele, córrele" (hurry up, c'mon, let's go).

Last edited by tacuba; February 14, 2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old February 14, 2009, 08:51 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Read up on venir and ir, with respect to the speaker and the direction of movement. Then you'll understand why ahora vengo means I'll be right back. There are a couple of threads that address this here in the forums. If you can't find them, ask, and I'll post them here. Search for 'venir ir' or 'traer llevar'.
Old February 15, 2009, 02:12 PM
Opal

Thanks, Rusty. I will take your advice.

Thanks again to all,

DeanQuest

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: