Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Sorolla: from Spain to USA, back in Spain and soon in USA again.

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Old April 19, 2009, 08:30 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Sorolla: from Spain to USA, back in Spain and soon in USA again.

Yesterday we went to Barcelona because we wanted to see an exhibition that the Spanish painter, Sorolla, made for the New York Hispanic Society of America. This institution has lent the pictures temporarily and they've been exhibited in a few Spanish cities. The fact is that we enjoyed a lot, since Sorolla gets, skilfully, not only the movement but also, especially, the sunlight reflect.

The worst is that, because of the underground/tube air draught, I'm with a strong neckache and I can do nothing.

Those who live in New York or near, don't stop going to see these paintings. Well, don't go now because they're not there still(though there are a lot of another Spanish artists paintings worth seeing).

Y ahora lo traduzco para que practiquéis un poco:

Ayer fuimos a Barcelona porque queríamos ver una exposición que el pintor español Sorolla pintó para la Hispanic Society of America de Nueva York. Esta institución ha prestado los cuadros temporalmente y se han expuesto en algunas ciudades españolas. La verdad es que disfrutamos mucho, ya que Sorolla capta con gran habilidad no sólo el movimiento sino, especialmente, el reflejo de la luz del sol.

Lo peor de todo fue que, por culpa de las corrientes de aire del metro, estoy con un fuerte dolor de cuello y no puedo hacer nada.

Los que viváis en Nueva York o cerca, no dejéis de ir a ver estos cuadros. Bueno, ahora no vayáis, porque no están allí todavía (aunque hay otros muchas pinturas de autores españoles dignas de verse).

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 19, 2009, 12:38 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Yesterday we went to Barcelona because we wanted to see an exhibition that the Spanish painter Sorolla painted for the New York Hispanic Society of America. This institution has temporarily lent the pictures out and they've been exhibited in a few Spanish cities. We really enjoyed it a lot, since Sorolla very skillfully captures not only the motion/action but the reflection of the sunlight.

Unfortunately, because of the drafts in the subway, I have a strong neckache and I can't do anything.

Those who live in or near New York, don't stop going to see these paintings. Well, don't go now because they're not back yet (though there are a lot of other Spanish artists' paintings worth seeing).
The changes above mostly add fluidity and American English spellings/words have been substituted.
Old April 19, 2009, 12:50 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The changes above mostly add fluidity and American English spellings/words have been substituted.
Thanks, but I don't understand what you said. I study British English.
Old April 19, 2009, 01:35 PM
Diamond

And please, another question: is it not the same "I can do nothing" and "I can't do anything"? Thanks.
Old April 19, 2009, 03:20 PM
Davidísimo

Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
And please, another question: is it not the same "I can do nothing" and "I can't do anything"? Thanks.
Son iguales en significado, pero "I can do nothing" es mucho menos común que "I can't do anything".
Old April 20, 2009, 12:55 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
Son iguales en significado, pero "I can do nothing" es mucho menos común que "I can't do anything".
Is it the same both in British English and American English or just in American English? Thanks.
Old April 20, 2009, 06:04 AM
Señor Speedy

I believe they'd be the same on both sides of the Atlantic.

Otherwise identical in meaning, the reason I suggested the other phrase was for fluidity. It sounded more natural to use "I can't do anything."

In some instances, there is a difference between the phrases. If you were presented a choice of tasks to perform, for example, you could say "I can do nothing" and mean that you will not perform any of the tasks laid before you. If you respond "I can't do anything" to the same invitation, that would mean you are unable to perform any of the tasks.
Old April 20, 2009, 06:54 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
Like David and Rusty said, they mean very much the same. Sometimes, just to vary speech, we say things diffferently. Por ejemplo: no hay nada que puedo hacer/ no puedo hacer nada.

Sé que existe este museo ubicado en alto Manhattan, pero vergüenzamente nunca lo visité. Leí que hay una pintura famosa de Goya y uno de Velazquez tambien. No sabía que tenían obra (s) de Sorrolla. El museo está en un sitio un poquito remoto. Creo que paca gente lo conoce.
Old April 20, 2009, 09:41 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Like David and Rusty said, they mean very much the same. Sometimes, just to vary speech, we say things diffferently. Por ejemplo: no hay nada que puedo hacer/ no puedo hacer nada.

Sé que existe este museo ubicado en lo alto de Manhattan, pero vergonzosamente nunca lo visité. Leí que hay una pintura famosa de Goya y una de Velázquez también. No sabía que tenían obras de Sorrolla. El museo está en un sitio un poquito remoto. Creo que poca gente lo conoce.
No sé, creo que tienen más de una sola obra de Goya y Velázquez.

Rusty, would you mind to translate to me "a choice of tasks to perform". I translate it into: "una elección de tareas que desempeñar", and it doesn't make much sense for me. Thanks.
Old April 20, 2009, 10:04 AM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
Rusty, would you mind translating "a choice of tasks to perform" for me? I translate it as: "una elección de tareas que desempeñar", and it doesn't make much sense for me. Thanks.
Una elección/selección de cosas/tareas que hacer.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: