Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

¡Rápido!

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old May 27, 2011, 07:29 PM
Emerald

Native Language: Bicol/Tagalog; English = second language
vita32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Azul View Post
I dared..

But I cheated... Spanish is my native language..

Good! But did you say it out loud?

All corrections are appreciated.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 27, 2011, 07:48 PM
Emerald

Luna Azul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vita32 View Post
Good! But did you say it out loud?
Yes, I did.

Old May 27, 2011, 09:02 PM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Chris is on a distinguished road
My book says to say David. Roll the D into a Rrrrr like Drrrrr. Kind of helps get my tongue in the right place. Some words are more difficult than others depending on which vowel comes after the rr.

@iamatomic
Old June 02, 2011, 06:09 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
coffeecup is on a distinguished road
drrravid? or davidrrrr? there are two "d"s there.

Haha I still can't get it quite right, as I know Torres could tell you (you should hear her gorgeous laugh when I try say barranquilla . Epic fail on my behalf!)

Like, I can roll my rrrrs but it's like I can't roll them fast enough when I put them in a word. To make it sound proper (or as close as I can get) I pretty much have to say the word in slow motion so I can fit all the sounds in.

One thing that's really helped me get my head around the sound was finding songs that have them. For example, Loca by Shakira has the line "Y por ti borró (borró)" and she makes it sound AMAZING!! I get so jealous! I wish I could say borró like she does.
Old June 02, 2011, 06:44 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
drrravid? or davidrrrr? there are two "d"s there.
like in the first one

Also try to say "friend" like an Irish would pronounce. Sí? See? C?

Old June 05, 2011, 06:12 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
coffeecup is on a distinguished road
haha yes, I si, see c! gracias!
Old June 06, 2011, 11:31 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
One thing that's really helped me get my head around the sound was finding songs that have them. For example, Loca by Shakira has the line "Y por ti borró (borró)" and she makes it sound AMAZING!! I get so jealous! I wish I could say borró like she does.
Well, she's a native Spanish speaker... I bet she doesn't do it better than I do..

There are two different sounds for the "r" in Spanish. One is soft and the other one is strong.

"R" between two vowels: "pared" is soft, and it sounds a lot like a soft "d" in English. Try to pronounce the following words as if instead of an "r" there was a "d" in them:

"pera", "aro", "ira", furia".

That soft "r" sounds also a little bit like the "tt" in "little" or the "r" in "throw".

The strong "r" - At the beginning and the end of a word: "rápido", "rama". All the verb infinitives: "comer", "ir" "venir".

"r" before a consonant: "arte", "arma"..

Between two vowels it's written "rr": "perro", "carro"...

The sound is not always the same in all countries. In some places in Chile and Argentina they tend to pronounce the strong "r" with a sibilant sound. Also, people who are really native from Bogotá, Colombia and its surroundings, have a very distinctive way of pronouncing the "rr".

As oposed to that, in Puerto Rico and other places in the Caribbean they tend to pronounce it like an "L", especially, when the "r" is located before a consonant: "Puelto"

Last edited by Luna Azul; June 06, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old June 06, 2011, 12:52 PM
Ruby

Torres is on a distinguished road
I am from Bogotá but we don't have a particular distinctive accent....well...hehe you can actually understand what we say unlike with people from other parts of the country! I don't want to have a go with anyone on this but, I have heard several times that spanish from my city is liked all around the world, it's relatively easy to both pronounce and understand (slang doesn't count) and it sounds pretty.
Old June 06, 2011, 04:00 PM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torres View Post
I am from Bogotá but we don't have a particular distinctive accent....well...hehe you can actually understand what we say unlike with people from other parts of the country! I don't want to have a go with anyone on this but, I have heard several times that spanish from my city is liked all around the world, it's relatively easy to both pronounce and understand (slang doesn't count) and it sounds pretty.
I never said it was ugly. It's in fact, a very correct Spanish, one of the best. If you're a true "bogotano" I'm sure you don't pronounce "Y" and "Ll" the same. And that's not the only difference with the rest of the country.

The accent they call "santafereño" has a distinctive sound. Bogotá, being a big cosmopolitan city, is inhabited by people from all over the country and even other countries, so that particular accent I'm talking about has been restricted to a few families who consider themselves descendants of the pioneers, the founders of the country.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: