Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

I have finished Rosetta Stone discs 1-3.. are 4-5 worth it?

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old November 09, 2009, 07:12 PM
Ruby

ItsThaMonsta is on a distinguished road
I have finished Rosetta Stone discs 1-3.. are 4-5 worth it?

Honestly I have to say that Im really frustrated. I have went through the first 3 discs of Rosetta Stone Latin Spanish. It took me about 175 hours which I did over the last 3 months at kind of a frantic pace. I can honestly say that I remember just about everything from the 3 discs. It seems like I know so much. A lot of things I want to say I can translate into spanish. But I come on here and see so much that I have never seen, I turn to the spanish channel and i still cant really understand anything, it all makes me want to go on a rampage. I realize that I am still just a super beginner. I want to get on the fast track to learning spanish. Anyone have experience with discs 4 and 5? Do they get into more advanced levels? Any tips on "hearing" it better when spoken outside of Rosetta Stone?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 09, 2009, 07:40 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
I've no experience with any of the language learning software out there, so forgive the intrusion.
In my opinion, the best way to learn Spanish is total immersion. Since that isn't possible for many folks, do the next best thing. Befriend native speakers of the language and convince them you want to be corrected whenever you make a mistake. (You can't make mistakes if you don't try to speak with them in their mother tongue. ) Most people who speak English can't explain grammar, so don't expect your Spanish-speaking friends to explain Spanish grammar. Write down and ask your grammar questions here.
Purchase a wonderful dictionary, or three (one should be monolingual).
Read books written in Spanish. Watch movies in Spanish (no subtitles). Write down words/phrases you didn't understand and do some research. If your dictionaries aren't turning anything up, get answers here.
Doing these things will exercise your senses at the pace you set, and I think you'll spend less money.
Old November 10, 2009, 05:21 AM
Ruby

Native Language: English
Jubilee is on a distinguished road
Also, try to get an intercambio with someone on Skype. They can be mutually beneficial (and can also seem like torture...but worth it)...
Old November 10, 2009, 05:34 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Watch movies in Spanish (no subtitles).
I would disagree slightly here. If you can find DVDs with Spanish subtitles which exactly match what's spoken, watch with subtitles once or twice and then without.
Old November 10, 2009, 06:05 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
I would disagree slightly here. If you can find DVDs with Spanish subtitles which exactly match what's spoken, watch with subtitles once or twice and then without.
I agree with pjt. The problem is finding DVDs in Spanish worth watching once, let alone several times.
Old November 10, 2009, 06:55 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
It seems to me that you are very dedicated to learning, and that you have mastered three dvd's. I assume that's a lot. Just understand that any modern language is a very big thing, and it takes time to grasp the thing. I would say, that if you have the patience and endurance to go through 3 dvd's, that you should continue with Rosetta Stone and supplement it with having a look at a Spanish-language newspaper. Many are available on-line. While reading it, tab a dictionary like Tomísimo's, and write down the words you don't know and review them from time to time.
It's natural for a determined learner to feel frustration.
Old November 10, 2009, 07:15 AM
Ruby

ItsThaMonsta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
It seems to me that you are very dedicated to learning, and that you have mastered three dvd's. I assume that's a lot. Just understand that any modern language is a very big thing, and it takes time to grasp the thing. I would say, that if you have the patience and endurance to go through 3 dvd's, that you should continue with Rosetta Stone and supplement it with having a look at a Spanish-language newspaper. Many are available on-line. While reading it, tab a dictionary like Tomísimo's, and write down the words you don't know and review them from time to time.
It's natural for a determined learner to feel frustration.
Gracias. Acabo de terminar escuchando a algunos de los discos musicos de Rosetta Stone. Yo entiendo todo que aprendi pero es muchos que no le entiendo. Tambien, Pans Labyrinth es uno de mi favoritos peliculas y lo mirare.

Last edited by ItsThaMonsta; November 10, 2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old November 10, 2009, 08:07 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
That's true "EL LABIRINTO DEL fAUNO" is fantastic. It's like the "WIZARD OF OZ" but with a sad ending. Your knowledge of the English translation may help you understand the Spanish better now that you have gotten some Spanish under your belt.
Old November 10, 2009, 08:11 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
I agree with pjt. The problem is finding DVDs in Spanish worth watching once, let alone several times.
Si recuerdo bien, Mar Adentro tiene subtítulos perfectos. Un aviso: el tema parecerá bastante fuerte a algunos.
Old November 10, 2009, 11:59 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
Si recuerdo bien, Mar Adentro tiene subtítulos perfectos. Un aviso: el tema parecerá bastante fuerte a algunos.
*gulp* thanks. I'm not sure I could face it.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: