Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Allergy advice

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old June 20, 2011, 04:26 AM
Opal

oogzy is on a distinguished road
Allergy advice

Hello
I am in need of some help regarding taking some allergy information along with me on a family holiday.
My daughter is has a potentially fatal allergy to peanuts - and specifically peanuts.
Three years ago we travelled to Tenerife, and I had some text translated into Spanish for this same reason. Before we departed, out of curiosity i translated what was on the page back into English and found the word which meant peanuts was in fact translated as 'dried fruit'. This i now understand was kind of correct, as the word is multi-meaning, although it did cause some confusion at the time.
Due to this i took along a revised version substituted with another word that translated to 'nuts'. This really confused the issue as the receptionist at the hotel then informed me that i was stating that our daughter was allergic to 'nuts and bolts' which was even more confusing
We are now planning to travel to Cuba later this year, and i have the same dilemma as before.
Is there a chance someone could write a short paragraph which i could print and show staff/waiters etc to state that it is a peanut only allergy and not every nut and dried fruit in existence.
I would appreciate it if it is possible.
Many thanks in advance.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 20, 2011, 06:56 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oogzy View Post
Hello
I am in need of some help regarding taking some allergy information along with me on a family holiday.
My daughter is has a potentially fatal allergy to peanuts - and specifically peanuts.
Three years ago we travelled to Tenerife, and I had some text translated into Spanish for this same reason. Before we departed, out of curiosity i translated what was on the page back into English and found the word which meant peanuts was in fact translated as 'dried fruit'. This i now understand was kind of correct, as the word is multi-meaning, although it did cause some confusion at the time.
Due to this i took along a revised version substituted with another word that translated to 'nuts'. This really confused the issue as the receptionist at the hotel then informed me that i was stating that our daughter was allergic to 'nuts and bolts' which was even more confusing
We are now planning to travel to Cuba later this year, and i have the same dilemma as before.
Is there a chance someone could write a short paragraph which i could print and show staff/waiters etc to state that it is a peanut only allergy and not every nut and dried fruit in existence.
I would appreciate it if it is possible.
Many thanks in advance.
If it is of any help: peanuts = maní

So just use the same paragraph and change the word to "maní"
Old June 20, 2011, 07:09 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
In Spain, the word for peanut is usually cacahuate. Maní is more Latin American, and especially in Cuba.

Ruego que no nos sirva nada que contiene maní porque
mi hija sufre una alérgia contra los manís que es potencialmente fatál.
Gracias.
Old June 20, 2011, 07:34 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
In Spain, it is cacahuete. In Mexico and many Central American countries, it is cacahuate. It is also called maní in Central America and in South America.

Nuestra hija | La chiquita | La señorita
padece de una alergia mortal al cacahuate | maní | cacahuete
y debe evitarlo en todas sus formas: granos, aceite, harina, crema o mantequilla de maní y todos los dulces, galletas, o platos que se preparan con aceite vegetal o grasas vegetales no precisadas

Our daughter is severely allergic to peanuts and should avoid them in all their forms: peanuts, oil, flour, peanut butter and all confections, cookies, or foods prepared with unspecified vegetable oil

(Remember that frutos secos (nuts) can be roasted in peanut oil, and that peanuts can also be found in a nut mix (conjunto de frutos secos). Lots of food can be prepared where peanuts are also processed.)

Last edited by Rusty; June 20, 2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old June 20, 2011, 12:06 PM
Emerald

Luna Azul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
In Spain, the word for peanut is usually cacahuate. Maní is more Latin American, and especially in Cuba.

Ruego que no nos sirva nada que contiene contenga maní porque
mi hija sufre una alergia contra los manís maníes que es potencialmente fatal.
Gracias.
@oogzy -- I believe "Maní, maníes" is understood in all of Latin America. It refers to just "peanuts", none of the other nuts.

"cacahuates" and "cacahuetes" are not understood everywhere, so you need to be careful.

Rusty's sentence is very thorough and to the point, I would write each of the words for "peanut" in Spanish just in case.

If you want a simpler sentence, you could say "Mi hija no puede comer nada que contenga maní o sus derivados porque puede morir". (maybe a little strong but to the point).

I wish you the best of luck..

Old June 20, 2011, 02:52 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Take an epipen por si las moscas.
Old June 20, 2011, 08:12 PM
Emerald

Luna Azul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Take an epipen por si las moscas.
Great advise. I don't want to sound rude but I don't think they have those in Cuba. Maybe I'm mistaken but I wouldn't take the risk.

Old June 20, 2011, 08:20 PM
Opal

Native Language: English/Filipino
Johndiv23 is on a distinguished road
Peanut in our language is mani too.
Old June 22, 2011, 02:07 AM
Opal

oogzy is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone

Thank you all for your kind help.
I will print off and laminate all translations you have given

As far as the Epipen goes - we always take one along wherever we are travelling to. It always needs to be explained at airports etc what with security as it is today, but relatively not a problem.

I appreciate your help.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: