Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques


Teaching ideas

 

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old April 23, 2008, 01:12 AM
Iris's Avatar
Iris Iris is offline
Emerald
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Where the stork dropped me years ago, wish it had done it further north
Posts: 687
Native Language: nominally:Spanish, emotionally:Engl
Iris is on a distinguished road
Thanks everybody.
__________________
Take care,
María José
Reply With Quote
   
Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
  #12  
Old April 23, 2008, 07:10 AM
Tomisimo's Avatar
Tomisimo Tomisimo is offline
Davidísimo
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 5,565
Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
Thank you very much, Rusty, for your superb corrections. The only one I can't understand is this one: a euro, instead of an euro. I guess it's an exception from the general rule, but I can't know if it is because of the beginning diphthong or because the word euro itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris View Post
It's because of the diphthong, you also say a university, a European city...
I don't know if it's because it's a dipthong or if it's simply because of the pronunciation. For example university doesn't start with a dipthong. But in any case,
  • a university
  • a European
  • a Euro
All start with the "y" sound like "you're", and that's not considered a vowel, at least not for this rule.

Edit: The rule about a and an is based strictly on the pronunciation of the following word (if it's a vowel sound or not), rather than the first letter.

For example I personally pronounce history and historical both with an initial /j/ sound. So I would say 'a history ...' and 'a historical ...' But some people pronounce historical without the j and the word starts with /I/. They say 'an historical ...'.
__________________
If you find something wrong with my Spanish, please correct it!

Last edited by Tomisimo; April 23, 2008 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Added more
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old April 23, 2008, 08:57 AM
Iris's Avatar
Iris Iris is offline
Emerald
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Where the stork dropped me years ago, wish it had done it further north
Posts: 687
Native Language: nominally:Spanish, emotionally:Engl
Iris is on a distinguished road
David,
University doesn't start with a diphthong in spelling but in pronunciation. The first part of the diphthong, as you say,is not a vowel but a semi-vowel.
__________________
Take care,
María José
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old April 23, 2008, 09:56 AM
Tomisimo's Avatar
Tomisimo Tomisimo is offline
Davidísimo
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 5,565
Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris View Post
David,
University doesn't start with a diphthong in spelling but in pronunciation. The first part of the diphthong, as you say,is not a vowel but a semi-vowel.
Good point, Iris
__________________
If you find something wrong with my Spanish, please correct it!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old June 17, 2008, 03:34 AM
twalker twalker is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11
twalker is on a distinguished road
Teaching English isn't as difficult as you thought, you can teach whatever you see and think in daily life, for students, interesting and motivation are very important.

I also recommend students surf on the net for web pages of English contens.

Last edited by Rusty; January 18, 2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: removed advertising
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old June 17, 2008, 03:43 AM
Alfonso Alfonso is offline
Filósofo y Poeta
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,239
Alfonso will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by twalker View Post
Teaching English isn't as difficult as you thought, you can teach whatever you see and think in daily life, for students, interesting and motivation are very important.
Yeah, and what's important for teachers?
__________________
I welcome all corrections to my English.
Salu2 desde Madrid,
Alfonso
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old June 17, 2008, 06:18 AM
poli's Avatar
poli poli is offline
rule 1: gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In and around New York
Posts: 7,442
Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
Yeah, and what's important for teachers?
Alfonso, I'm not sure about your meaning here. Did you mean, What's the
importance of teachers? If so, here's my answer:

Un profesor que tiene la motivación de comunicar es verdaderamente importante, porque reacionan al progreso del estudiante y tienen alma que un programa internet falta.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old June 17, 2008, 06:25 AM
Alfonso Alfonso is offline
Filósofo y Poeta
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,239
Alfonso will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Alfonso, I'm not sure about your meaning here. Did you mean, What's the importance of teachers? If so, here's my answer:

Un profesor que tiene la motivación de comunicar es verdaderamente importante, porque reaccionan al progreso del estudiante y tienen el alma que un programa de internet no tiene.
También, puedes decir: ... que a un programa de internet le falta.

Great!, but I cannot understand why my phrase is ambiguous or incorrect.
__________________
I welcome all corrections to my English.
Salu2 desde Madrid,
Alfonso
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old June 17, 2008, 06:59 AM
poli's Avatar
poli poli is offline
rule 1: gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In and around New York
Posts: 7,442
Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
Yeah, and what's important for teachers?
Did you mean: 1)Sí, y que es importante para lo maestros. (because that is how this translates directly to English
o
2) Si, y que importancia tienen los maestros ahora que la tecnologia ayuda tanto. (Yes, and what's the use of teachers now that technology is so helpful)

I think you meant 2, because it's a good resonse to the previous post.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old June 17, 2008, 07:40 AM
Alfonso Alfonso is offline
Filósofo y Poeta
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,239
Alfonso will become famous soon enough
But in the quote I selected from twalker there is nothing about new technologies. Only about teaching, teachers, students and important things for this last ones.

Twalker had already said that motivation is important for the student:

... for students, interesting and motivation are very important.

So, since I realised motivation is important for a student, I asked what's important for a teacher. I'm even copying the propositional regime from Twalker phrase (to be important for somebody).

Anyway, my doubt is why I failed in communication, as I cannot see any grammar mistake nor an ambiguous meaning.
__________________
I welcome all corrections to my English.
Salu2 desde Madrid,
Alfonso
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark this thread at:

Tags
didactica, enseñanza, esl, learning, teaching

 

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Site Rules

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ideas for English translation Marsopa Vocabulary 2 February 01, 2008 01:33 PM
Asset- any ideas? Jaqui Vocabulary 4 December 03, 2007 03:15 PM
Apparently teaching a foreign language can get you killed Tomisimo General Chat 3 November 28, 2007 10:07 PM
Ideas on "old school" anthony Vocabulary 1 May 16, 2006 11:02 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 AM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

X