Old July 26, 2009, 01:02 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
"Unos" (always in plural) is used with the same meaning of "algunos", just in some ocasions.

"Unos" (siempre en plural) tiene el mismo significado que "algunos", sólo en algunas ocasiones (here I can't use "unas")

Unos niños corren = algunos niños corren.

But if I know there are ten children, I should use "algunos":

Hay diez niños, algunos (de ellos) están jugando.

But if I compare two groups I could use "unos":

Hay diez niños, unos están jugando, otros están viendo la tele.
or Hay diez niños, algunos están jugando, otros están viendo la tele (o los demás están viendo la tele)

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 26, 2009, 03:32 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Dutch
EmpanadaRica is on a distinguished road
Ok thank you! :-)
Let me try to find the English equivalent to make sure I understood this distinction correctly. If something is not right, kindly correct me

1. The words ' unos' and ' algunos' can be used interchangeably if you have no more specific information about the quantity and/or are saying something in general about it.('Some')

2. Otherwise, of you wish to be more specific and single out a part of this group, you must use 'algunos/algunas' ('Some of the...') to say more about this subgroup, or use 'unos/unas' twice to give more specific information on both subgroups (' Some..., some....').

iiMuchas gracias por explicarlo!!
Old July 27, 2009, 01:21 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpanadaRica View Post
Ok thank you! :-)
Let me try to find the English equivalent to make sure I understood this distinction correctly. If something is not right, kindly correct me

1. The words ' unos' and ' algunos' can be used interchangeably if you have no more specific information about the quantity and/or are saying something in general about it.('Some')

2. Otherwise, of you wish to be more specific and single out a part of this group, you must use 'algunos/algunas' ('Some of the...') to say more about this subgroup, or use 'unos/unas' twice to give more specific information on both subgroups (' Some..., some....').

iiMuchas gracias por explicarlo!!
1. yes
2. Yes, but you can't say "unos/as" twice, but you say "some... and the others...":
Unos cantan, otros bailan
Algunos comen, otros duermen.

Remember, you can use unos/algunos interchangeably. Just remember to use "algunos" if you don't add what the others are doing (being, etc.)

Tengo cien libros, algunos son buenos (if I said "unos son buenos" I should end the sentence: "los otros son malos").
Tengo cinco hermanos, algunos son rubios (unos son rubios, los otros pelirrojos)

Anyway, I'm sure this is not an exam question

Tags
algunos, algún, double negative, ninguno, ningunos, ningún, unos

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: