Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Technical things

Does anyone else use Google Chrome to write posts to Tomisimo?

Technical "how-to" issues concerning using this site and language learning in general.

Old March 13, 2010, 06:17 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Does anyone else use Google Chrome to write posts to Tomisimo?

I have given up on Firefox. It keeps crashing on me, especially when I use Gmail, which is the website I use 90% of the time. So I have started using Google Chrome exclusively.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to make Google Chrome reflect the stylistic changes I make in messages that I type here on Tomisimo. For example, when I highlight part of a word to change the color to red, when I am looking at it in the edit/create post field, I see the word with all of the forum-code color=red and /red stuff in the middle of the word. For short posts, this isn't a huge issue, but for longer posts where I use lots of bold, italics, color, smileys, etc., it gets very confusing because I can hardly read entire words without code interrupting everything.

The other issue is that if I copy and paste something that someone corrected using "quote", it doesn't pick up their stylistic changes (bolds, colors, etc.).

Does anyone else use Chrome? Does anyone know if there is a way to change this? I am getting rather frustrated....

Thanks!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 13, 2010, 06:41 AM
Opal

Native Language: Inglés
annabwashere is on a distinguished road
Let's test that out right now.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

Works for me.

I suspect it's your computer rather than the browsers.
Old March 13, 2010, 06:47 AM
Diamond

Apparently I haven't explained myself very well.

(1) Are you using Chrome?
(2) I can obviously make the posts show the editing AFTER I click "post" - I've done it above.
(3) This problem ONLY happens WHILE I'm typing in the "message" field.

So, my question is: If you are using Chrome, are you able to see the stylistic things (like bold, italics, color, etc.) while you are editing your post? Or do you only see the "code". If so, what settings within Chrome do you use that make this happen for you?

It's not my computer. I can see the edits just fine with Firefox. But I really hate having to use two different browsers just to post to Tomisimo. Everything else works fine in Chrome.
Old March 13, 2010, 06:50 AM
Opal

Native Language: Inglés
annabwashere is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
(1) Are you using Chrome?
(2) I can obviously make the posts show the editing AFTER I click "post" - I've done it above.
(3) This problem ONLY happens WHILE I'm typing in the "message" field.
1. Yes.
2-3. That's how it's supposed to work. This forum software uses BBcode, and not a full WYSIWYG editor.

Last edited by Rusty; March 13, 2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: merged posts and removed the content of the second
Old March 13, 2010, 06:54 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Lou Ann, what you described almost sounds like your input text box has the editor mode switched. Try clicking the icon at the far right, above the input text box (the one with the small 'A' over the larger 'A' with an underscore). This button allows you to see the markup (the tags like [i][/i]) in the text.

If this fixes the problem, my next guess would be that Google Chrome doesn't support all of the 'Message Editor Interface' options. Go to 'Control Panel' -> 'Edit Settings & Options' and switch your editor interface to something else.

Last edited by Rusty; March 13, 2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old March 13, 2010, 07:28 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabwashere View Post
1. Yes.
2-3. That's how it's supposed to work. This forum software uses BBcode, and not a full WYSIWYG editor.
I don't agree. When I use Firefox, the WYSIWYG features work just fine. This has only happened to me in Chrome (I haven't tried IE, but it also has problems with Opera).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Lou Ann, what you described almost sounds like your input text box has the editor mode switched. Try clicking the icon at the far right, above the input text box (the one with the small 'A' over the larger 'A' with an underscore). This button allows you to see the markup (the tags like [i][/i]) in the text.

If this fixes the problem, my next guess would be that Google Chrome doesn't support all of the 'Message Editor Interface' options. Go to 'Control Panel' -> 'Edit Settings & Options' and switch your editor interface to something else.
Rusty - do you mean the far left? I don't see anything like that on the right, but there are two blue "A"'s with a red "X" through them on the left. I don't see anything with an underscore. When I click that, it doesn't do anything at all, unless I've already used code, in which case it removes it. It doesn't make edits any differently after I've pressed that button.

You're talking about options in Chrome, right, not in Windows? When I go to "Customize and Control Google Chrome" there is a menu choice called "options". (There is no "control panel".) In "options", I don't see anything about an editor interface.

I know this all sounds trivial. And it really is with shorter posts. But when I'm trying to edit a whole paragraph for a zillion tiny mistakes that I make (my Spanish is so bad) and that I want to ask questions about, it becomes nearly impossible to read and edit what I've written.
Old March 13, 2010, 07:39 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
The text input box I mentioned is in Tomísimo. When you're replying to a post, you're using the text input box (either Quick Reply or Advanced). To the far right, just above where you're typing, is the icon I mentioned (it's also in the same 'plane' as the 'Accents' drop-down menu and the buttons for Bold, Italics, and Underscore). The 'Settings & Options' I mentioned are also found in Tomísimo, following the path I gave.

Not all browsers support the same options. So you may need to change which editor interface you're using when in the forums.
Old March 13, 2010, 07:55 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The text input box I mentioned is in Tomísimo. When you're replying to a post, you're using the text input box (either Quick Reply or Advanced). To the far right, just above where you're typing, is the icon I mentioned (it's also in the same 'plane' as the 'Accents' drop-down menu and the buttons for Bold, Italics, and Underscore). The 'Settings & Options' I mentioned are also found in Tomísimo, following the path I gave.

Not all browsers support the same options. So you may need to change which editor interface you're using when in the forums.
How very interesting this is. Rusty - I cannot see the icon you're referring to. Next to the accents drop down menu are the up and down arrows to increase or decrease the field size. That's the last thing on the right in that row. I'll attach a screen shot.

I swear, I am not a computer moron. I am the person that friends and colleagues go to for technical help. What am I missing here?? (sigh....)

By the way - I have tried the different editor settings in Tomisimo, and I get the same thing....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forTomisimo.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	324  

Last edited by laepelba; March 13, 2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old March 13, 2010, 08:20 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Lou Ann, go to the control panel, below the sign that says ASK A QUESTION, once in it, click on the last icon SETTINGS, once in it go to the bottom where you will find the miscellaneous stuff, change your editor to BASIC or ant other to check your problem.
Old March 13, 2010, 08:25 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
By the way - I have tried the different editor settings in Tomisimo, and I get the same thing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Lou Ann, go to the control panel, below the sign that says ASK A QUESTION, once in it, click on the last icon SETTINGS, once in it go to the bottom where you will find the miscellaneous stuff, change your editor to BASIC or ant other to check your problem.
I did that - tried all three settings. None changes the circumstances. "Basic" removes every option for formatting all together....

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: