Old May 04, 2011, 09:23 AM
Opal

erin21happy is on a distinguished road

Hai everyone, I am Foo Erin from Malaysia. Currently studying in Singapore. And i love to learn language. And the very first one i want to learn is Spanish. As a new person, may i know where should i start?? should i start from grammer or vocabulary?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 04, 2011, 09:29 AM
Emerald

Caballero is on a distinguished road
Both simultaneously. You should start with a general course in Spanish. What is your first language btw?
Old May 04, 2011, 10:07 AM
Opal

erin21happy is on a distinguished road
my first language is english =)
Old May 04, 2011, 10:10 AM
Emerald

Start with this:
http://www.google.com.my/search?q=Sp...al&aq=t&rls=es
Old May 05, 2011, 09:18 AM
Opal

Native Language: Inglés
Guerrero is on a distinguished road
¡Hola!, I have been looking for a Spanish group for about a week now, so Im glad I found this, it appears quite active. I have been learning Irish Gaelic (Gaelainn) since 96 and decided I would give Spanish a go, as there are way more oportunities to become fluent. I have a book that I got the library "Easy Spanish Step-by-Step" and it seems to be pretty good, with lack of audio however. It claims to teach 'Standard Spanish'. I am actualy curious as to which dialect I should learn as I live in New Mexico(N.E.), but have Family in Cali (the 2 places that I will frequent the most). I have heard that the idiom between dialects can be disasterous when trying to comunicate, so , any help will be greatly appreciated.

¡Gracias!
Old May 05, 2011, 09:31 AM
Emerald

No, you shouldn't worry too much about the different dialects. There's all mutually intelligible. They're all essentially the same in higher registers. If communication becomes a problem, just try to avoid slang and regionalisms. You can learn more about the unique vocabulary and archaicisms of NM Spanish on Wikipedia .
Old May 05, 2011, 12:46 PM
Emerald

Luna Azul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
No, you shouldn't worry too much about the different dialects. There's all mutually intelligible. They're all essentially the same in higher registers. If communication becomes a problem, just try to avoid slang and regionalisms. You can learn more about the unique vocabulary and archaicisms of NM Spanish on Wikipedia .

Welcome to the forums Erin and Guerrero. All you have to do is ask questions and somebody will reply to them..

Old May 07, 2011, 07:43 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Hello I bid you welcome to these forums, I hope your stay in the forums, it will be enjoyable.

If you need to help with your learning, I will willing to help you.

Sincerely yours.
Old May 07, 2011, 09:04 AM
Opal

Native Language: Inglés
Guerrero is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the welcome. I hope that I can progress rather quickly in Spanish so that I may use it here.
Old May 07, 2011, 09:13 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I hope that I can progress rather quickly in Spanish so that I may use it here.
Yes, you will progress much more rapidly in Spanish than in Irish Gaelic, not only because of more resources and access to native speakers, but also because there are literally tens of thousands of words that are the same or nearly the same in Spanish and English. Some words are borrowed into Spanish from English, and some words are borrowed from Norman French into English. England was ruled by the Normans for about 200 years, who spoke a variety of French, so English has aquired many thousands of French words. French and Spanish both derive from Latin, so there are many, many similar words. We also borrowed words directly from Latin (as well as Greek), and Spanish has done the same.
Example: information vs información.
You will find that almost all words that end in -tion in English (they come from Norman French -tion words, or directly from Latin Acc -tionem words) end in -ción in Spanish.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: