Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat

When does one become "happy" with his knowledge in regards to language learning?

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Old May 09, 2015, 09:59 AM
Emerald

Liquinn3 is on a distinguished road
When does one become "happy" with his knowledge in regards to language learning?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 09, 2015, 04:22 PM
Emerald

Native Language: English
Glen is on a distinguished road
At least for me, when I can hold a conversation on a more than superficial level with a native-born speaker
Old May 31, 2015, 08:10 AM
Opal

ChrisM is on a distinguished road
I'd agree with Glen, but - progress is progress. Language learning is far from easy, and no-one should underestimate their achievements so far, nor undervalue it. It's one of the few things these days that defies the quick fix, magic bullet philosophy.
Old May 31, 2015, 06:28 PM
Emerald

Glen is on a distinguished road
ChrisM is right. Each step forward calls for a happy celebration.
Old June 01, 2015, 10:00 AM
Emerald

Is it me or does being a language learning (learning Spanish) feel less impressive when around native speakers? Why is this?
Old June 02, 2015, 10:29 AM
Opal

Nicolás is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn3 View Post
Is it me or does being a language learning (learning Spanish) feel less impressive when around native speakers? Why is this?
You should not feel that being a learner around a native speaker is less impressive. Instead you should think that you are actually learning another language, which in itself is quite impressive. Think about all those people who never learn any other language than their native language, you are way ahead of them already.
Old June 02, 2015, 11:29 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolás View Post
You should not feel that being a learner around a native speaker is less impressive. Instead you should think that you are actually learning another language, which in itself is quite impressive. Think about all those people who never learn any other language than their native language, you are way ahead of them already.
Ah, around 99% of English speakers I know more languages whereas some Spanish natives could know Spanish and English (however, there's a Catalan/Spanish native) in Barcelona I know who only speaks Catalan and Spanish.
Old June 30, 2015, 05:56 PM
Opal

Ramona Sawred is on a distinguished road
It's a tough question. I'm really happy with my progress some days. Then feel like I've not learned much at all other days.
Old July 06, 2015, 06:10 AM
Emerald

A Spanish speaker said I should be happy with my Spanish and I speak well but it's just not the same as being native... I guess it will never will be.
Old January 18, 2017, 07:46 AM
Opal

ChrisM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn3 View Post
A Spanish speaker said I should be happy with my Spanish and I speak well but it's just not the same as being native... I guess it will never will be.
I work with a Spaniard who has lived in England for over 20 years. He still has a thick Spanish accent and occasionally, he struggles with finding the word(s) in English. When I said to him about learning a Castellano accent rather than Latin American, he said why bother? They'll know you're foreign either way.

This is in no way discouraging rather, a reflection of the challenge and an acknowledgement of how impressive it is we all speak a second language to whatever degree of proficiency. It's fantastic!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: