Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Spain's Human Towers

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old November 25, 2010, 03:18 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
Crotalito, I believe it depends on each person. I have been 21 years in Southern California... when I go back to Barcelona and speak Catalonian with people at the street or at a shop or store, nobody can recognize any "American accent at all". Same with Spanish. (There is a lady at the Spanish Consulate, LA, who despite living here for ages, she has such a thick Madrid accent, that it seems like she arrived yesterday on an Iberia flight...)

On the other hand, a friend was commenting to me how one politician went to the US to meet with the president and came back a week later talking Spanish with an American accent...

So... It is not good to generalize. But it is good to be aware.
Cheers.

Yes I guess you right, because no ones have the same capacity to speak in the same form, I mean, if you are telling me that you are living in South California for more than five years ago and you haven't any change in your accent or speaking way, then in essence it can be different for other person, it's curios, never I have been before in other country, at least I haven't the change to move me of this place until now, therefore I can't say anything about, only I commented about my uncle, how he speaks some strange his Spanish sometimes, because either I see him, but I have spoke for telephone with him, a couple times and I have noted his speaks way in three times, he tend to speaks very funny, because he casually forgets the words in Spanish and he end to telling me the word in English and when he tries to remind the word, he gets a different tones seems to an American native from United States.

I don't know if the time has much importance in this story, but at least I can be sure he has a different tone when we are speaking between themselves.

Sincerely yours.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 25, 2010, 09:15 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
I understand what you say. More than "time" the key factor is "awareness" and "practice". Today I was talking to a Mexican friend, after listening to a short program in Catalonian, and he told me "Oye, me estás hablando con acento catalán"... I was not aware of it until he pointed it out... and I said, "Hah, I was just listening to a Catalonian program..."

The important thing is to be aware and then you can control it... (somehow!)

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: