Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary

"De" preposition translation in domain names

Ask about definitions or translations for Spanish or English words.

Old September 08, 2016, 05:51 AM
Opal

JohnDe is on a distinguished road
Question "De" preposition translation in domain names

Hi,

I aim to learn Spanish by making a website for the Spanish speaking world by translating (with the help of a translator) my website. I have been wondering about the domain name and the translation of the de preposition.

I hope you don't mind some hypothetical examples as I don't want to take a chance that someone might purchase the domain name I am considering.

For example, if I wanted a website about sewing machines should I have

máquinadecoser.com

Would máquinacoser.com be better (because it is shorter) or stupid (because of poor translation).

Another example would be a website about sports clothes. Should I use

ropadedeporte.com

Or would ropaporte.com be better or just dumb?

I have been googling for hours on google.es trying to find some examples without much success. I have discovered that in the URL (part of the address after the actual domain name) that Amazon.es doesn't use the preposition, I.e. URLs like this

Amazon.es/máquina-coser

And wikipedia does, I.e.

Es.wikipedia.com/máquina-de-coser

But what is the best policy for the actual domain name?

Many thanks,

John

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 08, 2016, 06:41 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
maquinasdecoser
ropadeportiva / indumentariadeportiva

It all depends on how Google assign value to the elements of the name in its Page rank.

For instance, maquinasdecoser is easier to remember if you expect word of mouth to be a main source of web traffic for your site. It's also more atractive as a name if you are using Adwords or similar service. But if you count on people finding you in direct searches you may query maquinascoser to learn if it does better no matter it makes less sense from a linguistic standpoint.
Old September 08, 2016, 06:59 AM
Opal

JohnDe is on a distinguished road
Thanks very much. I have made my mind up. Using the preopositin seems to be the way to go. Google say we should write for humans so hopefully their algorithms recognise what you have just explained. Based on what you have just said, the most likely search term a spanish speaker would use would include de.

I will purchase the domain name and post it here. If you have a moment perhaps you could confirm that your advice still stands in my specific context.

Thanks, I will post again in a minute.

Hi aleCcowaN,

Thanks again for your advice and time.

I have just purchased a few domain names. I know it is bad form to link to your websites in forums like this so I will leave the extension off so they do not appear as links. There is no website there yet anyway but just to be safe.

My website will be about "game programming" and I have just purchased the following domain names:

programacióndevideojuegos.???

and

programacióndejuegos.???

From what I can see from a bit of googling and looking at products on Amazon, it is unclear if the shorter programacióndejuegos.??? is definitive enough but I guess the shorter the better.

Would you consider the longer version as better and more precise/clearer or is the shorter one precise/clear enough and therefore better?

Any other thoughts, then I can get cracking and start learning. Once I have a website it doesn't matter if I make mistakes because I can always make changes but the domain name I will be stuck with.
Thanks,

John

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; September 08, 2016 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: