Old May 16, 2013, 10:33 AM
Emerald

Liquinn3 is on a distinguished road
Thinking on giving up Spanish

Well, as of tomorrow I'll never see a friend of mine (who has helped me with Spanish at college) since my computing course has finished after tomorrow. Hmmmm... she motivates me as well as I motivate myself, but yeah; should I give up Spanish? I won't really get the chance to speak it from tomorrow onwards to anyone...

Also I'm never going to be as good as Alfonso Merlos; should I just give it up?

I just feel like I'm pretty much nothing compared to a native and I never will be.

Also how will I know if my writing is correct say, next month?

What should I do?

Last edited by Liquinn3; May 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:40 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn3 View Post
should I give up Spanish? I won't really get the chance to speak it from tomorrow onwards to anyone... ..

I just feel like I'm pretty much nothing compared to a native and I never will be.
Never ever say that. I spent 50 years of my life convinced I would never need to speak Spanish. Then things changed and I moved to Spain. I could not possibly have predicted that. How I regret that lost time.

I will never be anything like as good as native, but I'm very much better than most foreigners here. It's making the effort that counts.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:42 AM
Emerald

Liquinn3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Never ever say that. I spent 50 years of my life convinced I would never need to speak Spanish. Then things changed and I moved to Spain. I could not possibly have predicted that. How I regret that lost time.

I will never be anything like as good as native, but I'm very much better than most foreigners here. It's making the effort that counts.
Well, I'm not sure what to do... what if I meet a Spanish speaking girl in the future? Hmmmm.

I guess I've accepted I won't ever be as good as Alfonso Merlos.

Hmmmm... comparing myself isn't going to get me no where =/

Last edited by Liquinn3; May 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:08 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
I don't know what's up with you, but I have offered to speak over Skype with you...it is just a matter of agreeing when etc...

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; May 16, 2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Removed personal information
Old May 16, 2013, 12:55 PM
Pearl

Native Language: German, Serbian & Albanian
Premium is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I totally agree with you. Perhaps you'll never know if you'd need it or not.
I have neither someone to talk to nor I want to move to a Spanish-speaking country in the near future, but I just love that language and this keeps me motivated.
Old May 31, 2013, 07:14 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
ricardo1968 is on a distinguished road
I am trying to learn spanish as an individual goal, it has been a goal for a long time, I've just now gotten around to it. For some reason language fascinates me. As I study Spanish I've learned that in general we take for granted how complex verbal communication really is.

I learn more about English by learning Spanish as well. In the past, I understood bad grammar simply by hearing it. I would say in my head "that doesn't sound right". But now I can read something and describe in technical grammar terms what the problem is. Just last night I explained to my daughter that asking "how come the sky is blue.....?" is not proper grammar and that it is more correct to start with "why is the sky blue.....?"
Old May 31, 2013, 09:18 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
How come is short for how does it come to be that. Because it has become so integral to English, I'm not sure if it's considered incorrect in precriptive grammar. It is certainly not very formal.
You are right. Studying Spanish will make you aware of what an intricate machine language is, and it is something that many of us take for granted.

Last edited by poli; May 31, 2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old May 31, 2013, 06:46 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
There are only 500 million people speaking Spanish at this moment... the US is one of the places where it's growing faster...

I "never" studied English in a "formal" manner... yet, I am beginning to know that I don't know... much... of this amazing language...

"El saber no ocupa lugar" ("knowledge occupies no space" = you can never know [learn] too much...)

Beginning to know that one doesn't know it is not a lesson in humbleness but one in wisdom.

Empezar a saber que uno no sabe no es una lección de humildad, sino de sabiduría.

To learn or not to learn... that is the question!
Old June 01, 2013, 12:59 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
Beginning to know that one doesn't know it is not a lesson in humbleness but one in wisdom.
humility (or is there a difference?)
Old June 01, 2013, 08:29 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
humility (or is there a difference?)
Good question. Can you explain?
Closed Thread

Link to this thread
URL: