Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat

Which English Accent Is Easiest for You to Understand?

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Old January 10, 2013, 07:43 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
Amara is on a distinguished road
Which English Accent Is Easiest for You to Understand?

To non-native English speakers:

Which English accent is easiest to understand

Australian accent
American accent
Canadian accent
British accent
Scottish accent
Irish accent
Kiwi (New Zealand) accent
Indian accent
Other accent (please specify)

Last edited by Amara; January 11, 2013 at 05:42 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:32 PM
Emerald

Glen is on a distinguished road
Great question, Amara. Spanish-speaking friends of mine say the British is easier, because in it the consonants are emphasized more than in the American.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:04 PM
Pearl

Native Language: Swiss German
zuma022 is on a distinguished road
For me I'd say:

Canadian
American
NZ/Australian
British
Irish
Scottish

But probably depends what you are around the most. I was exposed to a lot of American TV when learning. The Canadian is very similar just pronounced more carefully and without the southern or east coast accents. British really depends, the Queen's English is fine, but some northern or more working class accents are much more difficult for me.
Old January 10, 2013, 11:44 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
I think it depends totally on what you get more use to hear... Last time I flew with British Airways I was shocked at my inability to understand what the flight attendant was saying... until I got used to it...
Old January 11, 2013, 12:54 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma022 View Post
For me I'd say:

Canadian
American
NZ/Australian
British
Irish
Scottish

But probably depends what you are around the most. I was exposed to a lot of American TV when learning. The Canadian is very similar just pronounced more carefully and without the southern or east coast accents. British really depends, the Queen's English is fine, but some northern or more working class accents are much more difficult for me.
It's true that the general Canadian accent is quite similar to the general US accent. However, Canada also has some regional varieties of English that are as extreme as some of the accents from the southeastern US or the coastal areas of the northeastern US: the two that are most pronounced are the the French-influenced English in bilingual towns in Quebec, especially in the Eastern Townships, and the stereotypical accent of Newfoundland.

The regional accents in the US are also more varied that it might seem from US films and television. While it's true that US regional accents are often classified into 3 groups (northeastern, southeastern, and everywhere else), each of these groups consists of dozens of smaller regional accents that tend to share a relatively small number of features but still have significant differences in both pronunciation and vocabulary. Urban areas such as Boston, New York, and Philadelphia are notable for having distinct accents between individual neighborhoods, although some of those differences have become less strong over the past 50 years.
Old January 11, 2013, 01:20 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Arabic
Asma is on a distinguished road
American
British
Old January 11, 2013, 08:52 AM
Diamond

Elaina will become famous soon enough
British
American

No matter how hard I try, I cannot understand the Australian accent....
Old January 11, 2013, 10:15 AM
Opal

Amara is on a distinguished road
Sorry, the title should be "easiest" not "easier."
Old January 11, 2013, 10:49 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Swiss German
zuma022 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrholt View Post
It's true that the general Canadian accent is quite similar to the general US accent. However, Canada also has some regional varieties of English that are as extreme as some of the accents from the southeastern US or the coastal areas of the northeastern US: the two that are most pronounced are the the French-influenced English in bilingual towns in Quebec, especially in the Eastern Townships, and the stereotypical accent of Newfoundland.

The regional accents in the US are also more varied that it might seem from US films and television. While it's true that US regional accents are often classified into 3 groups (northeastern, southeastern, and everywhere else), each of these groups consists of dozens of smaller regional accents that tend to share a relatively small number of features but still have significant differences in both pronunciation and vocabulary. Urban areas such as Boston, New York, and Philadelphia are notable for having distinct accents between individual neighborhoods, although some of those differences have become less strong over the past 50 years.

I completely agree that Canada has regional accents and slang as well, however I find even the strongest Newfoundland accent much easier to understand than say an African American person from New Orleans. And I think also with the Canadian you are much less likely to be exposed to a strong regional accent as compared to the US. The large majority of Canadians seem to have very similar accents whereas in the US, you can tell their origin much easier, at least to my ears
While I certainly agree there are strong regional variants and a Boston and a Long Island accent for example are very different, I couldn't pick one over the other for easier understanding. I find most of the east coast and southern variants equally as hard.
Old January 11, 2013, 01:02 PM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Awaken is on a distinguished road
Some of the thick Irish/Scottish stuff is near impossible for me to understand as a native English speaker. I have no issues with most of the normal British English. Thick Australian can be pretty tough as well, but it isn't as bad as some of the Irish/Scottish.

So even though you didn't ask me since I am a native speaker:

American - minus Boston and Cajun (Louisana area)
Canadian
British
Australian
Irish/Scottish
Jamaican - some parts are so hard to understand like certain Cajun dialects.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: