#11  
Old June 26, 2009, 04:05 PM
irmamar's Avatar
irmamar irmamar is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,071
Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
Se podría usarlo con cualquiera nombre (person/place/thing)

The house's window
Bob's winning lottery ticket
The Earth's oceans

Espero que te ayude
Yes, it helps me and I understand it, but it surprises me a lot.
Reply With Quote
   
Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
  #12  
Old June 26, 2009, 04:27 PM
bobjenkins's Avatar
bobjenkins bobjenkins is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: España próximamente??
Posts: 2,923
Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Yes, it helps me and I understand it, but it surprises me a lot.
¿Cómo te dices en español, "the house's window"?

¿La ventana de la casa?

Creo que "posesión + de + dueño/poseedor" = "owner/possessor + 's + possession

No olvides que cuando el nombre del poseedor tiene un "s" a la fin en inglés solamente se añade, " ' "

Chris' shoes
Chris's shoes

Sí me equivocaba lo siento
__________________
"There´s always money in the banana stand michael!"
--george bluthe sir
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old June 26, 2009, 04:48 PM
CrOtALiTo's Avatar
CrOtALiTo CrOtALiTo is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mérida, Yucatán
Posts: 11,679
Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
The truck's focus is to be the best.
__________________
We are building the most important dare for my life and my family feature now we are installing new services in telecoms.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old June 27, 2009, 02:30 AM
irmamar's Avatar
irmamar irmamar is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,071
Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
¿Cómo te dices en español, "the house's window"?

¿La ventana de la casa?

Creo que "posesión + de + dueño/poseedor" = "owner/possessor + 's + possession

No olvides que cuando el nombre del poseedor tiene un "s" a la fin en inglés solamente se añade, " ' "

Chris' shoes
Chris's shoes

Sí me equivocaba lo siento
Yes, we say "la ventana de la casa".

I knew about "s' " when the word ended with "s". But I thought you couldn't say "house's window", but the window of the house.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old June 27, 2009, 11:09 AM
Rusty's Avatar
Rusty Rusty is offline
Señor Speedy
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 10,507
Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
No olvides que cuando el nombre del poseedor tiene un "s" al fin en inglés solamente se añade, " ' "

Chris' shoes
Chris's shoes
Actually, both constructs are correct. I learned, and prefer, the first style you mentioned above, but have since discovered that both styles are acceptable.

The only rule that exists is, don't mix the two styles in the same document. It's OK to use one style in one document and the other style in another document, so long as someone with a strict sense of style (and a red marker ) doesn't see both documents!


On a related note, some people like to throw the apostrophe (which is used to show possession) on the end of a family name:
I'd like you to meet the Robinson's.
I'd like you to meet the Robinsons. (Family Name: Robinson)
They're trying to keep up with the Joneses. (Family Name: Jones)

Last edited by Rusty; June 27, 2009 at 11:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old June 28, 2009, 08:07 AM
chileno's Avatar
chileno chileno is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 7,863
Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Actually, both constructs are correct. I learned, and prefer, the first style you mentioned above, but have since discovered that both styles are acceptable.

The only rule that exists is, don't mix the two styles in the same document. It's OK to use one style in one document and the other style in another document, so long as someone with a strict sense of style (and a red marker ) doesn't see both documents!


On a related note, some people like to throw the apostrophe (which is used to show possession) on the end of a family name:
I'd like you to meet the Robinson's.
I'd like you to meet the Robinsons. (Family Name: Robinson)
They're trying to keep up with the Joneses. (Family Name: Jones)
In the latter case shows the plural and not the possessive. However, would it be ok to use any of the possesive forms?

The Jones's home.
or
The Jones' home
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old June 28, 2009, 12:15 PM
Rusty's Avatar
Rusty Rusty is offline
Señor Speedy
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 10,507
Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
The Jones's home.
or
The Jones' home
This question is a bit hard to answer because two different style guides conflict. The Associated Press Stylebook says proper names that end in an 's' need only an apostrophe to show possession. The Chicago Manual of Style, on the other hand, states just the opposite. Exceptions are made for names like Jesus and Moses.

In the case in question, where a family (not an individual) owns a home, the proper name must first be rendered in the plural and then the apostrophe is added. Whether another 's' is added after the apostrophe depends on which style manual you're using.

I also wanted to point out how these names are pronounced. Again, there is a conflict between the style guides.

Jones (singular - pronounced /dʒoʊnz/)
Joneses (plural - pronounced /dʒoʊnzɪz/)
Jones' (singular genitive - pronounced /dʒoʊnz/)
Jones's (singular genitive - pronounced /dʒoʊnzɪz/)
Joneses' or Joneses's (plural genitive - pronounced /dʒoʊnzɪz/)

As an aside, the 'es' plural ending is required for proper names that end in 'ch', 's', 'x' and 'z' sounds.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old June 28, 2009, 01:57 PM
irmamar's Avatar
irmamar irmamar is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,071
Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
A.C.A.C.A.C.A.C.A.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
This question is a bit hard to answer because two different style guides conflict. The Associated Press Stylebook says proper names that end in an 's' need only an apostrophe to show possession. The Chicago Manual of Style, on the other hand, states just the opposite. Exceptions are made for names like Jesus and Moses.

In the case in question, where a family (not an individual) owns a home, the proper name must first be rendered in the plural and then the apostrophe is added. Whether another 's' is added after the apostrophe depends on which style manual you're using.

I also wanted to point out how these names are pronounced. Again, there is a conflict between the style guides.

Jones (singular - pronounced /dʒoʊnz/)
Joneses (plural - pronounced /dʒoʊnzɪz/)
Jones' (singular genitive - pronounced /dʒoʊnz/)
Jones's (singular genitive - pronounced /dʒoʊnzɪz/)
Joneses' or Joneses's (plural genitive - pronounced /dʒoʊnzɪz/)

As an aside, the 'es' plural ending is required for proper names that end in 'ch', 's', 'x' and 'z' sounds.
Good explanation, Rusty. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old June 28, 2009, 03:39 PM
Rusty's Avatar
Rusty Rusty is offline
Señor Speedy
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 10,507
Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
A.C.A.C.A.C.A.C.A.C.

Good explanation, Rusty. Thanks
You're welcome.
Please explain the stuff you wrote at the top.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old June 29, 2009, 01:56 AM
irmamar's Avatar
irmamar irmamar is offline
Diamond
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,071
Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
You're welcome.
Please explain the stuff you wrote at the top.
Oh, I didn't see it! What's that? I didn't wrote it

Maybe my computer is crazy sometimes, sorry
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark this thread at:

Tags
emphasis, enfoque, focus

 

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Site Rules


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 AM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

X