Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat

Question for native spanish speakers.

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Old September 05, 2008, 01:56 PM
Opal

Native Language: American English
supa-coopa is on a distinguished road
Question for native spanish speakers.

When you hear someone speaking spanish as a second language do you think the accent sounds nice? I've heard that the french feel like americans "murder" their language when they speak it. Do you feel the same way? In america I know many people, including myself, who think that English spoken by someone from another country is beautiful. Many of us enjoy hearing our native tounge spoken with an accent of someone foreign. How do you guys feel about an american accent? How about a french, german, or british one? I'm just curious.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 05, 2008, 02:26 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Supa, In my own view point all the languages are beautiful in itself way to speak, well I have heard people that uses the English as second language when their first language is Spanish and it's in really very nice, because they speak the language with accent very similar to your language, but anyhow it's never will not sound like to your language because, you know, your language you the adapt to your own sound and type, I think that never a person could speak like to any language that he use as second language, for example you are studding Spanish and I'm studding English but, there's a thing never we two will not hear same in both languages but, in something I agree with you, the languages are very nice and beautiful I don't know, Why do I like so much your language.? Before I didn't like much your language, but now yes I like it.
Old September 05, 2008, 02:37 PM
Opal

supa-coopa is on a distinguished road
But does it sound pretty or does it sound ugly to you when a native english speaker is speaking spanish?
Old September 05, 2008, 03:31 PM
Diamond

Yes it's rather sound strange. but if the person speak well the Spanish it should sound well.
Old September 05, 2008, 04:00 PM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
This question has come up before in the forums. I'll recap.

Just like we enjoy hearing a Spanish accent when someone is speaking English, they love to hear your accent, so long as you can make yourself understood.

Accents are always fun, so long as a conversation can be suitably maintained. If a person is unintelligible in a foreign tongue, the intrigue is quickly lost.
Old September 05, 2008, 05:21 PM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
This question has come up before in the forums. I'll recap.

Just like we enjoy hearing a Spanish accent when someone is speaking English, they love to hear your accent, so long as you can make yourself understood.

Accents are always fun, so long as a conversation can be suitably maintained. If a person is unintelligible in a foreign tongue, the intrigue is quickly lost.
I agree with Rusty and I also remember talking about this before (probably in a previous life ).
When I hear an American, English... person speaking Spanish with an accent I find it most endearing and sweet. Funnily enough, I'm quite obsessive about my own accent when speaking English,and I've made such a big effort over the years that people hardly ever guess I'm Spanish (I'm being modest here ).
So, all in all, good Spanish with a slight accent will turn you into a 'femme fatale' ... (Thank God I checked your profile Supa-coopa, I had written babe magnet instead of femme fatale )

Last edited by María José; September 05, 2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old September 06, 2008, 12:01 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
Some womans find hearing another language, or english with an accent (spanish, italian, french...) perhaps sweet.
Whe I heard a foreifn speaking (spanish or his native language), I'm always curious and I try to find where this person cames from or where he has learned his spanish. But some seconds later I try to concentrate on what he's talking and forgot all the accent things. I don't find it sweet or bad.

saludos
Old September 06, 2008, 05:17 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosia View Post
Some womans find hearing another language, or english with an accent (spanish, italian, french...) perhaps sweet.
Whe I heard a foreifn speaking (spanish or his native language), I'm always curious and I try to find where this person cames from or where he has learned his spanish. But some seconds later I try to concentrate on what he's talking and forgot all the accent things. I don't find it sweet or bad.

saludos
Women, Sosia. And remember to write nationalities and languages with a capital letter: English, Hindi, Chinese... (Sorry, I sound like a teacher).
I think both men and women (some of them) find a foreign accent attractive, but I guess you cannot generalize.
I think foreign accents are sweet, but then again I find most accents, people... sweet (something to do with my cursilería).
But like you, I usually feel curious when I talk to somebody new and I don't know where they come from. And I usually ask them if it is appropriate, because I love learning about other countries.Not because I'm a Nosey Parker...
Menudo rollo te he soltado. Es
exam related stress.

Last edited by María José; September 06, 2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old September 06, 2008, 09:07 AM
Diamond

I agree with my dear friend Maria Jose.

I'd like speak with you Maria Jose, for me it will be honor
Old September 06, 2008, 10:03 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
I agree with my dear friend Maria Jose.

I'd like speak with you Maria Jose, for me it will be honor I know I'm great, but not that great.
I'm here whenever you want to chat. But I'll have more time in October, when the exams are over.

Tags
pronunciation, regional accent

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: