Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary

Ordering... poder or poner? algo más?

Ask about definitions or translations for Spanish or English words.

Old April 10, 2013, 06:54 PM
Opal

kennytuggle is on a distinguished road
Ordering... poder or poner? algo más?

Hola. Soy nuevo aqui. I am a beginner still. But making progress. Thank you in advance for the assistance.

I have a question about ordering food. I’m hearing different things. And perhaps these are regional differences. But can someone pinpoint the most common way to put in an order with a waiter?

Initially I thought (with cheese as an example): “¿Puedo tener una ración de queso, por favor?”

These podcasts I’m listening to suggest: “¿Nos pone una ración de queso, por favor?”

My Spanish speaking friend hasn’t heard of the latter example. But he’s Mexican and the podcast producers are Spanish.

Is one of these options more common than the other? Am I missing the boat completely here?

Also, if I am posting this in the wrong forum, please let me know. I couldn't figure out where to post this.¿

Thank you!

-Brad

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 10, 2013, 08:55 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennytuggle View Post
Hola. Soy nuevo aqui. I am a beginner still. But making progress. Thank you in advance for the assistance.

I have a question about ordering food. I’m hearing different things. And perhaps these are regional differences. But can someone pinpoint the most common way to put in an order with a waiter?

Initially I thought (with cheese as an example): “¿Puedo tener una ración de queso, por favor?”

These podcasts I’m listening to suggest: “¿Nos pone una ración de queso, por favor?”

My Spanish speaking friend hasn’t heard of the latter example. But he’s Mexican and the podcast producers are Spanish.

Is one of these options more common than the other? Am I missing the boat completely here?

Also, if I am posting this in the wrong forum, please let me know. I couldn't figure out where to post this.¿

Thank you!

-Brad
Nos pone una ración de queso por favor --sounds a little strange to me but in a restaurant I suppose you can say : nos pone un poquito queso rallado sobre mis espaguetis por favor
Old April 10, 2013, 08:55 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennytuggle View Post
Hola. Soy nuevo aquí. I am a beginner still, but making progress. Thank you in advance for the assistance.

... And perhaps these are regional differences.

The latter, though regional, is the better of the two because it is politely phrased.
Avoid using the imperative (direct command).
Avoid using 'poder' when asking a favor.

More common in this hemisphere:
¿Nos trae ...? = "Could you bring us ...?"
¿Me trae ...? = "Could you bring me ...?"

I can't think of a time when I've heard 'una ración de queso'. According to what I read, 'ración' is equivalent to a serving of something. I'd say something like, "¿Nos trae un poco de queso, por favor?"
Old April 11, 2013, 06:11 AM
Opal

Thank you very much.

I appreciate the help. I imagine I'd be conversing with more Spanish speakers on this side of the world. So that's good to know.

Thanks again!
Old April 11, 2013, 07:28 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
"Poner" in Spain is the equivalent to "servir", and we don't use it like that in Mexico. (It's understood in context, though.)

And "¿puedo tener una ración de queso?" would make the waiter say "yes, you can", but he will not assume he has to bring it to you.

"Ración" is associated with a diet or a situation in which you can only get a fixed amount of food, so avoid such word in a Mexican restaurant.
Also, specifically in Mexico, if you ask for an extra portion of food in a restaurant, "orden" is the usual word: it's a portion of food for which you will pay.

- ¿Nos/me puede traer una orden de queso, por favor?
- ¿Nos/me da una orden de queso, por favor?

However, in many restaurants, you don't have to pay for an extra amount of something to accompany your main dish, so you can ask:
- ¿Me podría dar más queso, por favor?
- ¿Tendrá un poco de queso?
- ¿Me puede traer (más) queso por favor?

I agree with Rusty that you should play it safe and avoid the imperative. However if you use the right intonation and your imperative is always preceeded by a very polite "por favor", you can use it.
- Por favor tráigame un poco de queso.

(And if you want to sound really Mexican: "regáleme tantito queso por favor" in a very sweet tone of voice)
Old April 11, 2013, 12:44 PM
Opal

Native Language: Español
juliapozuelo is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up I agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The latter, though regional, is the better of the two because it is politely phrased.
Avoid using the imperative (direct command).
Avoid using 'poder' when asking a favor.

More common in this hemisphere:
¿Nos trae ...? = "Could you bring us ...?"
¿Me trae ...? = "Could you bring me ...?"

I can't think of a time when I've heard 'una ración de queso'. According to what I read, 'ración' is equivalent to a serving of something. I'd say something like, "¿Nos trae un poco de queso, por favor?"
La expresión, nos puede traer una ración de queso? typical in Spain is perfect. More examples: nos puede traer una ración de lomo? de chorizo? una ración de calamares?
Hope it helps
Cheers!
Old April 15, 2013, 05:32 PM
Opal

Thank you very much! This is helpful.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: