Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

The use of the personal "a"

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old April 22, 2011, 05:35 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Question The use of the personal "a"

I'm reading an article that uses the following sample sentence and attached note:
Busco un secretario que sepa francés.
(no personal a: it's not a definite person)

Huh? I thought that any reference to a person or to a personal pet required a personal "a" except for with certain verbs like "tener". ??

So is my understanding wrong? Or is the author of the article wrong? Or is there an exception somewhere that I missed...?

Thank you!

Last edited by laepelba; April 22, 2011 at 05:39 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 22, 2011, 08:17 PM
Emerald

Luna Azul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
I'm reading an article that uses the following sample sentence and attached note:
Huh? I thought that any reference to a person or to a personal pet required a personal "a" except for with certain verbs like "tener". ??

So is my understanding wrong? Or is the author of the article wrong? Or is there an exception somewhere that I missed...?

Thank you!
It is true that the personal "a" is used when referring to a person. But that's not always the case. It's only used when the direct object is someone you already know, someone in particular, or a pet, for that matter. It's not used if the direct object is an indefinite person.

In your examples the subject is looking for a person but that person is not someone he knows but "anybody" who can work as a secretary.

We say "Necesito un médico" but we don't say "necesito a un médico" because I'm talking about any doctor, not a specific one.

Old April 22, 2011, 08:44 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post

Thank you!
The author is right. Examples that use "buscar" as the main verb are often used to demonstrate how both the choice of indicative/subjunctive and the choice of using/not using personal a affect the sense of reality/certainty of existence or unreality/uncertainty of existence of a direct object.

Compare your sentence (a) with a slightly different sentence (b):

a. Busco un secretario que sepa francés.
b. Busco a un secretario que sabe francés.

Sentence (b) means, "I'm looking for a secretary that speaks French (I know who he is, I know that he is a secretary, and I know that he speaks French)".

Sentence (a) means "I'm looking for a secretary that speaks French (any person, male or female, that speaks French and that either already is a secretary or who is available to be a secretary, and I don't know whether such a person exists".

I'm a little uncertain about what happens if you try to simplify these sentences: perhaps a native speaker will advise us about:

c. Busco un secretario.
d. Busco a un secretario.

I think that (c) means "I'm looking for a secretary (anyone, male or female, who happens to be a secretary or who I can hire to work as a secretary; I don't know whether such a person exists)".

And (d) means "I'm looking for a secretary (I know who he is, and I know that he is a secretary)".

Using personal a in b and d asserts the existence, identifiability, and definiteness of the direct object, while not using personal a in a and c asserts the uncertainty of existence, lack of identiability, and indefiniteness of the direct object.
Old April 22, 2011, 08:47 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Okay - this is coming together for me quite nicely. Thank you!!
Old April 22, 2011, 09:02 PM
Emerald

Luna Azul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrholt View Post

I'm a little uncertain about what happens if you try to simplify these sentences: perhaps a native speaker will advise us about:

c. Busco un secretario.
d. Busco a un secretario.

I think that (c) means "I'm looking for a secretary (anyone, male or female, who happens to be a secretary or who I can hire to work as a secretary; I don't know whether such a person exists)".

And (d) means "I'm looking for a secretary (I know who he is, and I know that he is a secretary)".
You got it right, wrholt . No need to add anything.

Tags
a personal, personal a

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: