Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Hardest thing for you learning a new language?

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old May 05, 2009, 10:30 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
I speak, read and write english, or so i think.

Just that, and my trusty Spanish.

It took me about a year to be completely functional in English, and about 2 more years to, more or less, have "almost" completely translated what I knew in Spanish to English.

Yup, and that's exactly what you have to do, concerning "mocking" other people in order to get the intonation of the language. You still have an accent, but the intonation is correct, and that's makes a huge difference.

Yes. I can understand you when one language is not your tongue native is very hard to learn it, well in my case I have around of one year and four months leaning the language, but the difference with you is that I can't speak the language with other people, because I haven't practice even, then I need to improve my English with someone who speaks English, I can write the English as you have could to see, but it's not sufficient to me, then well, I don't know How time more I will take me to learn the language as spoken as written.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 05, 2009, 11:26 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Yes. I can understand you when one language is not your tongue native is very hard to learn it, well in my case I have around of one year and four months leaning the language, but the difference with you is that I can't speak the language with other people, because I haven't practice even, then I need to improve my English with someone who speaks English, I can write the English as you have could to see, but it's not sufficient to me, then well, I don't know How time more I will take me to learn the language as spoken as written.
Sure you can. Remember, Internet is your friend...

Specially if you have a mic and speakers.
Old May 05, 2009, 12:05 PM
Diamond

I know that my dear Chileno, but you know, I haven't anyone with who to speak and practice the English to way spoken. Therefore, I have tried to enter to website where should I can speak with somebody at English but I have had good luck with that search, then if I can't practice my English with someone, I believe that my English will takes time to learn everything about the language.

In my case is harder because, as you could to learn very fast is because you live on U.S.A, you are there and it's easier to lean the language because you are in contact with the American people, you can hear them everyday, you can exchange words and conversations at English, then I believe is easier of that form.

Here in my country likely the people who speak the English only are in the D.F. Or in the borders and, as I said before time before, I'm live in the south where the people does not speak English.

Last edited by CrOtALiTo; May 05, 2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old May 05, 2009, 02:11 PM
Ruby

Native Language: U.S. English
AutumnBreeze is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Realize that your mental block is produced because of what is highlighted in red, above.

Once you solve that problem (by not caring about it), then you won't have to be in the place you describe below. Because you do it well in English, so there should not be a problem doing it in Spanish either.

Just pay attention to your errors, so that you can self correct later and you'll get it in no time!

Well of course you're right .I think I'm getting more into the not caring side, trying to look at this from a different perspective. It's amazing how much fear and self-doubt so many of us wrap ourselves in as adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
Very true. My own personal experience about feeling ridiculous was when I was learning French. My teacher hated me because I couldn't pronounce anything right... the day I felt angry and started "mocking" my teacher, it was the first time she said "très bien".

Paying attention to errors and correcting them by making exercises and practicing as much as one can needs a bit of discipline, but it does work.
Yes discipline . I'm getting the hang of that, or trying to . I'm a Libra and we are notorious for having a lack of discipline .

I've been thinking about trying to do a language exchange with one of the Spanish speaking mothers around here but if she's as busy as I am, well, we'd never get anything done! lol
Old May 05, 2009, 03:48 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
I haven't met anyone that speaks Spanish...it's hard for me to practice saying my Spanish but I can practice reading it because when I go shopping with my mom sometimes I see Spanish sentences and I know the meaning of some
Old May 05, 2009, 05:00 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
I know that my dear Chileno, but you know, I haven't anyone with who to speak and practice the English to way spoken. Therefore, I have tried to enter to website where should I can speak with somebody at English but I have had good luck with that search, then if I can't practice my English with someone, I believe that my English will takes time to learn everything about the language.

In my case is harder because, as you could to learn very fast is because you live on U.S.A, you are there and it's easier to lean the language because you are in contact with the American people, you can hear them everyday, you can exchange words and conversations at English, then I believe is easier of that form.

Here in my country likely the people who speak the English only are in the D.F. Or in the borders and, as I said before time before, I'm live in the south where the people does not speak English.
Go to univision.com and I am sure you will get to chat with many people there in English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnBreeze View Post
Well of course you're right .I think I'm getting more into the not caring side, trying to look at this from a different perspective.
That's good. Just do not care and you'll learn by leaps and bonds.

Quote:
It's amazing how much fear and self-doubt so many of us wrap ourselves in as adults.
We are an incredible breed.

Quote:
I've been thinking about trying to do a language exchange with one of the Spanish speaking mothers around here but if she's as busy as I am, well, we'd never get anything done! lol
You can always chat with people over the internet that are looking forward to learn English etc. And please read and write an Spanish novel, espcially one you have already read in English and you really liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchen View Post
I haven't met anyone that speaks Spanish...it's hard for me to practice saying my Spanish but I can practice reading it because when I go shopping with my mom sometimes I see Spanish sentences and I know the meaning of some
Again, go yo univision.com

Or even with people from this forum that have the time to chat.

I have been looking at the statistics and there is an incredible amount of guests reading the forums. If you make a post addressed to them, I bet there will be more than one willing to help you, with conversational Spanish.
Old May 06, 2009, 06:56 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Go to univision.com and I am sure you will get to chat with many people there in English.

That's good. Just do not care and you'll learn by leaps and bonds.

We are an incredible breed.

You can always chat with people over the internet that are looking forward to learn English etc. And please read and write an Spanish novel, espcially one you have already read in English and you really liked.

Again, go yo univision.com

Or even with people from this forum that have the time to chat.

I have been looking at the statistics and there is an incredible amount of guests reading the forums. If you make a post addressed to them, I bet there will be more than one willing to help you, with conversational Spanish.
I will try to do it. But if you have some website where I can do it, then you tell me. Or at least you give me the address of the web.
Old May 06, 2009, 11:47 PM
Opal

Native Language: Inglés
Oteo is on a distinguished road
I quote: "The hardest part about learning another language is knowing one already." From studies I've done and researched, I found out that languages taught at an early age stay in one part of the brain and the child can learn to speak multiple languages with native profficiency and easily as well. Once past the "critical stage" a child learns a new language by applying the concepts to concepts he or she alreadys knows in his or her native tongue. Point being, teach language early. It's much easier then.
As for trying to learn a new language later in life, it's much easier to do when the necessity is present around you. I desperately want to be fluent in spanish and I feel that I am really close, but I can't be fluent if I'm not around people who speak spanish. It's frustrating, but you have to be around the language to get it. ... Im my opinion.
Old May 07, 2009, 03:42 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I think that this is the reason because we are here. We don't have people who speak the language we're learning around, so we've looked for them in the web. In this way, we're able to write and read in the language we're studying and others make corrections to our mistakes. By the other side, we're the help to those who are learning our own language.
Old May 07, 2009, 08:28 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oteo View Post
I quote: "The hardest part about learning another language is knowing one already." From studies I've done and researched, I found out that languages taught at an early age stay in one part of the brain and the child can learn to speak multiple languages with native profficiency and easily as well. Once past the "critical stage" a child learns a new language by applying the concepts to concepts he or she alreadys knows in his or her native tongue. Point being, teach language early. It's much easier then.
As for trying to learn a new language later in life, it's much easier to do when the necessity is present around you. I desperately want to be fluent in spanish and I feel that I am really close, but I can't be fluent if I'm not around people who speak spanish. It's frustrating, but you have to be around the language to get it. ... Im my opinion.

What does languages is hardest to learn?

Have you some idea which is the language to I ask you?

For me the language hardest to learn is the Russian.

I don't know if you think the same than me about it.

Tags
hardest thing

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: