Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Adverbial clause + subjunctive mood Presentation

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old April 11, 2012, 07:46 PM
Opal

thekid99 is on a distinguished road
Adverbial clause + subjunctive mood Presentation

Hi, I have a spanish presentation monday. We are learning the subjunctive clauses. We have to make sentences using the subjunctive phrases like:
para que con tal de que
de modo que sin que
de manera que a menos que
We have to use these phrases to write about college.
Are these grammatically correct? I'm really weak in spanish and would like some help.
1)Quiero ir a una universidad lejos de casa para que conozca experimentar nuevos lugares. (I want to go to college away from home so that I can experience new places.)
2.Quiero ir a una universidad lejos de casa de modo que pueda conocer a gente nueva. (I want to go to college away from home so that I can meet new people.)
3.No quiero ir a una universisad en la costa oeste a menos que reciba becca.(I dont want to go to college in the west coast unless i receive scholarships)
4.Quiero dormir en un dormitorio de manera que yo pueda aprender a ser mas independiente.(I want to sleep in a dormitory so that I can learn how to be more independent.)
5.Yo quiero ir a buena universidad con tal que pueda pagar la matricula.(I want to go to a good college provided that i can pay for the tuition.)

I will greatly appreciate for the feedbacks and how i can make the sentences better and more clear. Thank you very much

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 11, 2012, 09:20 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid99 View Post
Hi, I have a Spanish presentation Monday. We are learning about subjunctive clauses. We have to make sentences using the subjunctive phrases, like:
para que
con tal de que
de modo que
sin que
de manera que
a menos que

... I'm really weak in Spanish and would like some help.

1. Quiero ir a una universidad lejos de casa para que conozca experimentar nuevos lugares. (I want to go to college away from home so that I can experience new places.) (If there's no change in subject, and there's a corresponding preposition for the conjunction, you should use the preposition instead, followed by an infinitive. Since 'para que' has a corresponding preposition ('para') and there's no change in subject, you should use 'para poder experimentar'. There's no need to use 'conocer', since your translated sentence doesn't.)

2. Quiero ir a una universidad lejos de casa de modo que pueda conocer a gente nueva. (I want to go to college away from home so that I can meet new people.) (There's no corresponding preposition for 'de modo que', so, even though there's no change in subject, the conjunction is used.)

3. No quiero ir a una universidad en la Costa Oeste de Estados Unidos a menos que reciba beca. (I don't want to go to college on the West Coast of the United States unless I receive a scholarships.) (No corresponding preposition for 'a menos que'.)

4. Quiero dormir en una residencia/un dormitorio de manera que (yo) pueda aprender a ser más independiente. (I want to sleep in a dormitory so that I can learn how to be more independent.)

5.(Yo) quiero ir a una buena universidad con tal que pueda pagar la matrícula. (I want to go to a good college provided that I can pay for the tuition.)

I will greatly appreciate for the feedbacks about how I can make the sentences better and more clear. Thank you very much.
I've marked mistakes in red and have given some explanations in purple. You have no sentence that uses 'sin que'.

There's an 'Accents' drop-down menu above the text box that you can use to insert all the special characters needed to type in Spanish.
Old April 11, 2012, 10:11 PM
Opal

thekid99 is on a distinguished road
Thank you so much for helping.
Old April 11, 2012, 11:27 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
You're welcome.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: