Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Need help with some technical spanish translation~

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old September 10, 2010, 08:46 AM
Opal

shadytt is on a distinguished road
Need help with some technical spanish translation~

hello, my first post here~

Could anyone tell me which of the following tranlation is more accurate? or rather, are they accurate at all?

ENGLISH:

FEED PUMP, ON/OFF
This switch operates the cold feedstock pump P 101. The pump sends cold feedstock through the heat exchanger E 101.
STEAM HEADER PRESSURE, 0 to 1,200 Psig
This instrument controls the steam pressure in the steam header by regulating the flow of fuel gas to the burner. The output of PC‑203 is multiplied by a bias factor set at the fuel bias controller HC‑206.

TRANSLATION #1:
Bomba de forraje, encendido / apagado
Este interruptor opera el P de bomba de materia prima de resfriado101. la bomba envía materia prima fría a través del E de intercambiador de calor101.

La presión de encabezamiento de vapor, 0 a 1,200 Psig
Este instrumento controla la presión de vapor en la encabezamiento de vapor regulando la circulación del gas de combustible al programador. El producto de 203 de PC es multiplicado por un prejuicio que el factor puso en el HC de controlador de prejuicio de combustible206.

TRANSLATION #2:
ALIMENTE BOMBA, CON./DESC.
Este interruptor funciona el frío los feedstock bombean P 101. La bomba envía el frío feedstock por el intercambiador de calor E 101.

PRESIÓN DE JEFE DE VAPOR, 0 a 1 200 Psig
Este instrumento controla la presión de vapor en el jefe de vapor regulando el flujo de gas de combustible al quemador. La salida de ordenador personal 203 es multiplicada por un juego de factor de tendencia en el regulador de tendencia de combustible HC 206.

thanks a lot~

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 10, 2010, 09:45 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Just an opinion

Translation #2 looks like a bad translation software did it.

Translation #1 seems from a better software or a human translator with little or no experience in the specific subject or field.

Certainly, "bias" is not "prejuicio" in that text and I'm not sure it is "tendencia" either.
Old September 10, 2010, 09:53 AM
Opal

shadytt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
Just an opinion

Translation #2 looks like a bad translation software did it.

Translation #1 seems from a better software or a human translator with little or no experience in the specific subject or field.

Certainly, "bias" is not "prejuicio" in that text and I'm not sure it is "tendencia" either.
thx a lot~
Old September 10, 2010, 09:56 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Spanish
spacemaker is on a distinguished road
Yo lo entiendo así:

ALIMENTACIÓN DE BOMBA, encendido / apagado

Este interruptor opera la bomba P 101 de materia prima fría. La bomba manda la materia prima fría a través del intercambiador de calor E 101.

Presión de cabezal de vapor, de 0 a 1,200 Psig

Este instrumento controla la presión de vapor en el cabezal de vapor por regulación del flujo de combustible a el quemador. La salida/El rendimiento del PC-203 es multiplicada por un aparato de factor de tendencia en el controlador de tendencia de combustible HC-206.
Old September 10, 2010, 09:58 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Neither translation is good enough to be understood. #2 is better in that it didn't split up the reference numbers, but the text is unintelligible. #1 is better with some of the text, but it is flawed in places and it messes with the reference numbers.

You need a better translation, like what spacemaker just posted.

Last edited by Rusty; September 10, 2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old September 10, 2010, 05:21 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
I agree with the above qualified opinions. I'd venture to say that "bias factor" should be something like "factor de margen error" or even "factor de margen de error intrínseco". If I understand the original correctly, we are talking about a "rate of flow" (thus something statistically mensurable...) "Feedstock" I believe it refers to "alimentador"...

Not trying to translate this, but I'd say 3 things,

1.) The original ENGLISH must be UNDERSTOOD fully, with no words misdefined and/or misunderstood. (This can be done by you and/or the translator. If you are the translator, you'd better UNDERSTAND the English, as otherwise accuracy is not possible.)

2.) Get the TECHNICAL TERMINOLOGY properly researched, so for example, FEED PUMP gets translated as "BOMBA DE ALIMENTACIÓN" [I believe]
feed pump ( ′fēd ′pəmp ) ( mechanical engineering ) A pump used to supply water to a steam boiler.

3.) Once steps 1 and 2 are done, then get it translated, check that it flows correctly in Spanish and nothing was missed. You can read your Spanish to your translator who follows the English, 'side-checking it', or viceversa. (Fix any points, details as you go.)

If your Technical knowledge of the Spanish and/or your vocabulary in Spanish is good on the subject, step 1 is crucial. UNDERSTAND fully the original. Once that is done, the translation is a piece of cake.

(Otherwise, my opinion on translations 1 and 2 is that are utterly useless, as these translated "words" WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING, no CONCEPTS were conveyed. "Translating" is not "translating 'words'" but understand concepts that then can be conveyed in whatever language.) (and a couple of Euros!)

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: