Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

Can you help me with Spanish direct and indirect object pronouns?

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old May 12, 2012, 03:16 PM
Opal

spanishmom is on a distinguished road
Can you help me with Spanish direct and indirect object pronouns?

My son is really confused with direct and indirect object pronouns and I am pretty rusty on my Spanish. Can someone answer these questions so as I can jog my memory?

Choose the appropriate set of direct and indirect object pronouns if you replace the direct and indirect objects with pronouns:

1. Los hombres te prestan (lend) diez dolares a ti.

a. se lo
b. te lo
c. se las
d. te los

2. Mama les leyo un cuento a sus ninos antes de acostarlos?

a. les lo
b. se los
c. se lo
d. les los

3. La profesora ensena la leccion a sus estudiantes.

a. se la
b. se lo
c. se los
d. se las

4. Mi madre me dio un collar para mi cumpleanos.

a. se lo
b. me lo
c. te la
d. se les

5. La chica pago el dependiente por sus compras

a. la/los
b. se los
c. se las
d. se la

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 12, 2012, 06:22 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
We generally prefer to correct people's attempts at their own work rather than just doing it.

A. Quoting something I wrote recently in another post, and adding a little more data.

If there are two or three object pronouns accompanying the verb, the relative order of the pronouns is fixed:

1. 'se' (third person reflexive/pronominal object, or substitute for third-person indirect object = le or les when a third-person direct object is necessary)

2. 'te' or 'os' (second person direct, indirect, or reflexive/promominal object)

3. 'me' or 'nos' (first person direct, indirect, or reflexive/pronominal object)

4. 'le', 'les', 'lo', 'la', 'los' or 'las' (third-person indirect object [only le or les], and third-person direct object [only lo, la, los or las])

Any one pronoun may appear only once in each pronoun group. For each position, at most 1 pronoun from the choices for that position may appear.

B. Here are some hints to guide you. If this isn't enough for you or your son, let us know. Also, I have corrected punctuation and accents/tildes. The formatting tools above the edit window for posts and replies has a drop-down list labeled "Accents" that you can use to type the special characters in your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanishmom View Post
My son is really confused with direct and indirect object pronouns and I am pretty rusty on my Spanish. Can someone answer these questions so as I can jog my memory?
Quote:

Choose the appropriate set of direct and indirect object pronouns if you replace the direct and indirect objects with pronouns:

1. Los hombres te prestan (lend) diez dolares a ti. (One of the pronouns is already present, and it needs to be part of your answer. What part of the sentence is likely to be the other object that could be replaced with a pronoun?)

a. se lo
b. te lo
c. se las
d. te los

2. ¿Mama les leyó un cuento a sus niños antes de acostarlos? (Again, one of the pronouns is already present. Which type of pronoun is it? What part of the sentence is likely to be the other object that couldbe replaced with a pronoun? Are the two pronouns from different order-groups or not?)

a. les lo
b. se los
c. se lo
d. les los

3. La profesora enseña la lección a sus estudiantes. (More challenging: which two parts of the sentence are likely to be the direct and indirect objects? Which is which? What are the person/number/gender attributes of each object?)

a. se la
b. se lo
c. se los
d. se las

4. Mi madre me dio un collar para mi cumpleaños. (As in #1 and #2, one pronoun is already present. What part of the sentence is likely to be the other object?)

a. se lo
b. me lo
c. te la
d. se les

5. La chica pagó el dependiente por sus compras. (What two parts are likely to be the direct and indirect objects? Person/number/gender attributes?)

a. la/los
b. se los
c. se las
d. se la
Old May 12, 2012, 07:29 PM
Opal

Thanks for the help. I think I got it now

Are these answers correct?

1. b
2. d
3. c
4. b
5. b
Old May 13, 2012, 12:27 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks for the help. I think I got it now

Are these answers correct?

1. b
te = indirect object (you) is correct;
but lo (it, masculine singular
) = direct object (diez dolares, masculine plural) is wrong.

2. d
les = indirect object (them = sus niños) is correct, but when combined with a 3rd-person direct object pronoun, 'les' is wrong;
and los (them, 3rd-person masculine plural) = direct object (un cuento, masculine singular) is wrong.
'Les' and 'los'are both from group 4 (3rd-person object pronouns), you can have only one pronoun from group 4. If you have 2 pronouns from group 4, you MUST replace the indirect object pronoun 'le/les' with 'se' from group 1.

3. c
se = indirect object (them = sus estudiantes) when combined with a 3rd-person direct object pronoun is correct;
but los (them, 3rd-person masculine plural) = direct object (la lección = feminine singular) is wrong.

4. b
me = indirect object is correct;
and lo (3rd-person masculine singular) = direct object (el collar, masculine singular) is correct.

5. b
se = indirect object (him = el dependiente) when combined with a 3rd-person direct object pronoun is correct;
but los (3rd-person masculine plural) = direct object (las compras, feminine plural) is wrong.

Also, something feels odd to me about problem #5; the only way to choose one of the 4 options is to consider 'el dependiente' as the indirect object and '(por) las compras' to be the direct object, but the prepositional phrase 'por las compras' doesn't feel right as a direct object.

Perhaps some of the other forum members will comment.

You seem to be getting at least part of the details for each third-person pronoun correct, but not all of them.

You also may be having some trouble correctly identifying what the direct object is and what the 'indirect' object is. This is not surprising at all: the grammar of 'indirect' objects in Spanish and the grammar of indirect objects in English has significant differences that cause trouble for most of us native speakers of English when we learn Spanish as a second/foreign language.

Do you want to try again to choose the correct answers for 1-3 and 5?
Old May 13, 2012, 10:26 AM
Opal

1. d
2. a
3. b
5. d
Old May 13, 2012, 05:00 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
1. d
2. a
3. b
5. d
1. Yes, 'los' (referring to 'los dólares') is the correct direct object pronoun, and the indirect object 'te' was already provided. So, d) te los, is th right answer.

2. You're almost there! The Spanish don't like the cacophony of two pronouns in a row that start with the letter 'l', so they change the indirect object pronoun (the first object pronoun) to 'se'.

3. The direct object isn't masculine, so 'lo' is incorrect. The indirect object 'se' is correct, because the right direct object begins with the letter 'l'.

5. The direct object is plural. You're very close!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: