Old December 27, 2012, 11:30 AM
Opal

Native Language: English/Welsh
Robby is on a distinguished road
Buenas Noches, Good Evening!

Hello there, my name is Robert/Robby.

I do not speak or read spanish at all but I'd like to learn, I actually used Google Translate for the title. I'm going to make a post soon regarding whether I should learn Spanish or Italian as I have different motives for both languages.

I speak English, I have lip read from birth and I know British Sign Language. I do know pig latin from when I was a kid we used to mess around and curse with it. I don't think it even counts as a language if I'm honest. I know batch scripting, bash scripting, HTML markup and the C programming language if that counts

I'm a Linux/BSD user, Debian and FreeBSD to be precise. I've been a *nix user for several years without touching Windows. I'm a motorhead, a phrase we use here in Britain for motorcycle riders and enthusiasts.

I can't think of much else to say to be honest, I smoke?
Good evening, I hope I enjoy my stay here

Last edited by Robby; December 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 27, 2012, 02:31 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
¡Bienvenido a los foros, Robby! Welcome to the forums, Robby!

You ask whether you should learn Spanish or Italian. My answer (with tongue quite firmly in cheek): yes, of course you should learn Spanish or Italian. Perhaps you should learn Spanish and Italian. Whichever one you learn first will most likely make learning the other one somewhat easier for you.

Oh, wait, maybe you wanted to know which one you should learn first. That depends on which one has the strongest case for starting first depending on your reasons for learning each one. It may come down to which one appeals to you more srtrongly.

My personal bias is towards Spanish, mostly due to the difference in numbers of native speakers of each language worldwide. But then, I'm from North America, and Spanish is somewhat more useful here than Italian is. However, it's also true that the fact that Spanish is my strongest second language is due entirely to circumstance rather than to choice: my secondary school offered first-year Spanish starting in odd-numbered years and first-year French in even-numbered years, and I was first eligible for a second language class in an odd-numbered year.
Old December 27, 2012, 04:52 PM
Opal

Native Language: English/Welsh
Robby is on a distinguished road
Aha thank you I've decided to go with Spanish and I think I'm also going to progress to a Spanish learning course at my local college. I've been in further education for almost three years already. I think i'll get in just fine

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: