Old June 12, 2010, 01:39 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Well, I never read Ulysses. I read some parts of it in the Valverde (José María) translation, when I was 18 or so, and given I liked Valverde very much, and my English knowledge at that time was limited to "Yes" "No" "Zenquiu" [Thank you] and "Plis" [Please], I was grateful for having it into Spanish... Other than that, I believe Finnagans Wake is even harder??

Well, we can talk about opinions about books and everyone will have his/hers. The moment there is just ONE word that is not understood in one page, the whole page "BLANKS" OUT OF MEMORY, so one has "read" one page, yet, that page is completely BLANK. That happens in any kind of reading. Of course, if the author peppers his pages with abstruse, esoteric and hard to understand terms, the "book" becomes absolutely unfathomable, incomprehensible, and "stays there" on the shelve, the desk or whatever... The 'solution' if one is 'intent' to 'get through' a book, is to find out when you last were 'doing well' with your reading, and find out, just before you 'got into trouble' any misunderstood word or symbol, clarify it... and 'see the light'. That may sound as a 'simple recipe', but it works.

To me, being fluent in Spanish, having read some good quantity of books... Don Quijote is quite a task. I read it during a whole Christmas holiday (3 weeks in Spain) almost on a full-time basis... I finished the 1st part, and then I read the second part little by little every day, until I completed it on a full-time basis, on the next holiday, Easter... and on these 10 days, also on a full time basis, almost 8 hours of reading a day I completed the 2nd part. I must recognize there were sections in the first part that seemed a bit slow, or boring... (most likely I have misunderstandings galore in those sections) That's maybe why I want to re-read it, to clarify anything I missed!
But the thing about it that is actually great, are the many, many adventures that are exciting, and the humor that is salted through this, "the tomiest tome one can get a hold of..." there are places in the book where you just laugh your a** off!

I would not recommend it as the FIRST lecture for someone trying to learn Spanish... I would go with something more "modern" like Capitán Alatriste... or even 98 generation writers... or something easier... but if you one has the time, it is always enjoyable... if you understand it...

If any questions, on anything in "el ingenioso hidalgo", I will be more than willing to check it out and answer you... but now I am going to lunch... and like it says in Don Quixote: "Después de comer, ni un sobre siquiera leer..."

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 23, 2010, 03:53 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Castillan spanish
explorator is on a distinguished road
I have a French fiend who told me that reading "El Quijote" was compulsory in the Spanish Studies at the French University. I found it logical but quite difficult for students of Spanish as foreign language. It contains many words used in the seventeenth century way (eg. the term por tanto, in" El Quijote", has to be translated as today's French word pourtant =sin embargo, just the opposite of our current translation). In addition to this it contains a vocabulary or thousand of words, many of them very ancient and difficult to find in a bilingual dictionary, I recommend you the Diccionario de la Real Academia Española de la Lengua (DRAE). It is available on line and there is a free application of it for Ipod and Ipad. Anyway I encourage you to read it. It is a nice challenge!
Old June 26, 2010, 04:11 AM
Diamond

Yes, I agree with Explorator. It is a nice challenge, but it is also a lot of fun... And yes, you will have to clear many words not used anymore... but then again, all these words refer to things that are not used or in existence anymore, in many cases... One challenge which is even more arduous (and maybe not so much fun) is to read "Poema de Mio Cid" (in Old Spanish version, Collin Smith edition, with footnotes) But that's for really advanced students... I.e., nothing that you are going to use talking with the flower girl at the corner of the street... (Yet, beautiful Epic poetry, when you understand its meaning...) De los sos oxos tan fuerte mientre lorando tornava la cabe/ca i estava los catando...
Old June 26, 2010, 12:19 PM
Emerald

Native Language: english
hermit is on a distinguished road
I was fortunate to have read/studied El Quijote with an excellent professor of Spanish Literature from Barcelona - We spent an entire
semester reading and discussing entirely in Spanish - I loved it.

When reading Ulysses in an Irish Renaissance Literature course (Yeats/Joyce), the english prof encouraged us to "lean on" the
Stuart Gilbert companion study guide, and it was a great help...
wonderfully complex work...pretty tall order to read completely
on one's own.

As for Finnegan's Wake, the only question on the final exam was:
"How did you like it?". Having leafed through it, I found it to be an absorbing linguistic study of poetic humor in prose. I still pick it up
now and again just for fun...
Old June 27, 2010, 02:52 AM
Diamond

I am glad to read you enjoyed it. Like everything, if you can understand it and follow it... it is a lot of fun... I will tackle Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake when I grow up, after reading the original Alice in Wonderland... given that my English is still in its infancy... but like the Spanish saw goes, "Todo se andará".
Greetings! (Oh, and yes, I will follow your teacher's advice and 'lean on' the reference you mention...)
Old July 06, 2010, 06:41 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
I am glad to read you enjoyed it. Like everything, if you can understand it and follow it... it is a lot of fun... I will tackle Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake when I grow up, after reading the original Alice in Wonderland... given that my English is still in its infancy... but like the Spanish saw goes, "Todo se andará".
Greetings! (Oh, and yes, I will follow your teacher's advice and 'lean on' the reference you mention...)
By all means once you finish Alice proceed to "Through the Looking Glass".
It is truly a masterpiece. Besides being hilarious, its point of view is very current. I believe it has one of the most moving poems (The Walrus and the Carpenter)
Old July 08, 2010, 07:35 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
By all means once you finish Alice proceed to "Through the Looking Glass".
It is truly a masterpiece. Besides being hilarious, its point of view is very current. I believe it has one of the most moving poems (The Walrus and the Carpenter)
I will, Poli... I will. I think Lewis Carroll was an absolute genius... indeed.
Old July 11, 2010, 09:03 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
Cheshire is on a distinguished road
Sé que debo leer el Quixote en castellano, ¡pero me da miedo!

Sí, he leído una versión en inglés y me gustó mucho. No esperaba que sería gracioso, pero me reí de carcajadas.
Old July 12, 2010, 01:45 AM
Diamond

Bueno, si tienes la versión en inglés, puedes leerlo en español, y usar la versión inglesa para aclarar cualquier cosa...
Tu nivel de castellano es muy bueno, así que no creo que tengas demasiados problemas... Yo mismo tengo que aclararme cosas y buscar en el diccionario, y leer las notas a pie de página para enterarme de todo...

Tags
don quijote, don quixote, literature

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: