Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

4 Spanish Learning Tips From me - Write Yours Now!

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old September 06, 2013, 03:26 PM
Emerald

Liquinn3 is on a distinguished road
Tienes toda la razon Villa. Nadie se puede hablar bien solo estudiando. Hay que hablar con la gente hispana. Hay que tener amigos que hablan solo español o quienes solo van a hablar español contigo. Buscar lugares donde va la gente que hable el español. Escuchar el español diario. Tener conversaciones en el español con la gente. Mirar la television en español. Escuchar la radio en español.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 06, 2013, 03:45 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn3 View Post
Tienes toda la razon Villa. Nadie se puede hablar bien solo estudiando. Hay que hablar con la gente hispana. Hay que tener amigos que hablan solo español o quienes solo van a hablar español contigo. Buscar lugares donde va la gente que hable el español. Escuchar el español diario. Tener conversaciones en el español con la gente. Mirar la television en español. Escuchar la radio en español.
Me alegro de que estés de acuerdo conmigo amiquito mio. No hay nada malo en estudiar el español. De hecho, lo recomiendo mucho. Pero hay que poner el estudio a la práctica y salir al mundo real y mezclarse con los hispano parlantes. Estudia 24/7 if you must pero ve a donde los hispanohablantes están y hable con ellos en español. Yo
sé que tú vas a algún coffe shop para hablar con los hispanos o algo asi, verdad amigo Liquinn? Por eso te felicito.

Last edited by Villa; September 06, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old September 06, 2013, 04:16 PM
Pearl

Native Language: German
tetsuo is on a distinguished road
Vale y tienes razon, Villa. En un momento yo no tengo la oportunidad a hablar con los españoles. En futuro hago un tandem (es un método a hablar con los estudiantes españoles y los espoñeles nativos en real). Los españoles quieren aprender alemán y otras personas aprenden español, así cambiamos el bagaje. Es una buena alternativa si no tengo la oprtunidad por el viaje a la España o un otro país español.
Old September 06, 2013, 08:09 PM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo View Post
Vale y tienes razon, Villa. En un momento yo no tengo la oportunidad a hablar con los españoles. En futuro hago un tandem (es un método a hablar con los estudiantes españoles y los espoñeles nativos en real). Los españoles quieren aprender alemán y otras personas aprenden español, así cambiamos el bagaje. Es una buena alternativa si no tengo la oprtunidad por el viaje a la España o un otro país español.
Que bien amigo mio tetsuo. Gracias por decirme que estás de acuerdo conmigo.

Esas son todas buenas ideas que tienes amigo. ¿No tienes muchos
trabajadores inmigrantes en Alemania de América Latina en especial?
He estado en Italia muchas veces y Italia está llena de trabajadores
de Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Colombia y Argentina. Siempre me siento
como en casa en Italia hablando en el español con los hispanoparlantes
allí. Cuando voy al gimnasio aquí en California por ejemplo hay trabajadores
ahí que sólo hablan español y hablo español con ellos. Esto es sólo un ejemplo.
Debe tener oportunidades similares en Alemania. ¿No es cierto? Oh, me recuerdo
hace años yo tenía una amiga de Colombia aquí en California que habia vivido en
Alemania. Ella me hablaba mucho de vivir en Alemania. Era una muchacha preparada
y tenía un buen trabajo en Alemania. Tenia su novio aleman y todo.
Personas como ella debe de estar mucho en Alemania. Hay que encontralas.
Old September 06, 2013, 09:44 PM
Pearl

Native Language: German
tetsuo is on a distinguished road
Hay unos españoles en Alemania y no tengo idea si hay muchos españoles o latinoamericanos en Alemania. Y no lo se cómo cuántos de ellos. En mi pueblo hay unos españoles y unos lusitanos pero también hay gente de otros paises.
Old September 20, 2013, 10:09 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
elektronj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
These are my tips:

1. Learn words & verbs in the context of a phrase. Not only will that help you remember them better, it will also greatly speed up the learning of new words, sentence constructions etc. because you are learning a new phrase for every verb/word you add to your vocabulary.

2. Learn related words & phrases. When learning the word for hand, for example, try to learn related words, such as parts of the hand; actions of the hand; other parts of the body, and things you might wear on your hands. The vocabulary by topic here in the forums is a good example of this. But you can also make up these lists for yourself, as I've done with many other topics, like "the human body", "sex", "household/home" etc. etc.

3. When you learn words that have opposites/antonyms, learn BOTH sides together. So don't just add "fast" to your vocabulary. If you learn the Spanish word for "fast", immediately add "slow" as well and remember them together.

4. Learn what you NEED and WHEN you need it. A lot of people who have reached a certain level of skill in a foreign language and who want to improve it further, do not think about how they can improve in the most efficient and fastest way. For example, they will often try to increase their vocabulary by reading and then looking up words they don't know. Of course that will help to increase your vocabulary, but what many people fail to realize is that this way they learn a lot of words that they hardly USE in their daily speech!

If you want to improve your speaking skills in a foreign language quickly, you have to figure out which words you use often in your OWN language and look THOSE words up in the dictionary. For example, words that are often used like conjunctions ("except", "unless" etc.) Or perhaps you often use a particular word a lot in your own language when you speak; for example, if you often use the word "tremendous" in your own language, look up that word in Spanish, since you know that you will feel the urge to use that word in your conversations.

This way you will learn a lot more things that YOU need, and at the moment in your development that you need them, instead of learning a whole bunch of stuff you won't use often. It's all about information-timing: learning what you need, and when you need it, not before.

This also means that you will learn a lot faster if you don't simply follow the curriculum from a book, because the contents of a course never correspond exactly to your individual needs and if you go through the course from beginning to end the timing of the information is also set as well. Now, for beginners it's a different story of course, because they don't know anything about the language yet, so then going through a course is very helpful. But if you are past the beginner's stage, then you will improve much faster if you think for yourself about what the most useful thing to learn NEXT would be.

5. THINK in Spanish. This is the most essential thing to practice if you want to learn how to SPEAK in a foreign language. I often hear people talking about how they cannot practice speaking because they don't have anyone to speak Spanish TO. I have news for you: you don't NEED anyone to speak to in order to practice speaking! How can that be, you ask?? Simple...you speak TO YOURSELF.

Have you ever asked yourself what talking really IS? It's nothing but verbally expressing what you are THINKING. But you can also talk to yourself inside your own head, silently. You don't need anyone around to respond to you, because that is not necessary to learn to talk. Having a conversation partner is only necessary to learn the art of conversation, but to verbally express one of your thoughts you don't need anyone around. For example, you might have the thought "I am tired". Instead of thinking that in English, you could also think that to yourself in Spanish. "Estoy cansado". Now, if you can think to yourself "estoy cansado", you can also SAY it! It's that simple. Whatever you can THINK you can also SAY.

Now I can already hear some of you thinking "But I have just started learning Spanish! I cannot even form a complete sentence yet, so how can I THINK in Spanish then?"

Here's how:

The basic idea you have to remember is this,

Immediately apply whatever new thing you learn.

And by "applying" I mean USE it in your daily thinking. I'll give an example. Let's say you are just starting out with Spanish and you have learned the personal pronouns but no verbs yet. You have only learned "I", "you", "he" etc. Since you don't know any verbs, you obviously can't say/think a complete sentence yet. But what you CAN do is (remember the basic rule) USE what you DO know. So after you have learned the personal pronouns, in your daily life whenever you see a man somewhere, look at him and think to yourself "el" (the Spanish pronoun for "he"). That's ALL you do at first! You don't need to create a sentence. All you're doing is immediately APPLYING (by USING the words as thoughts in your head) whatever new thing you have just learned.

As you learn more and more things, the thoughts in your head in the new language can gradually become longer and longer until pretty soon you're jabbering away like an idiot! For example, take again the same person who learned the personal pronouns and nothing else yet. Let's say this person happened to pick up the word "guapo" somewhere, he/she now knows that that word means "goodlooking" but still they haven't learned any verbs yet, so they cannot say or think something like "he/she IS goodlooking." But again, what is the basic rule? Immediately apply whatever new thing you learn.

So what do you do? When you are going about your daily business and you see a goodlooking man on the street, on TV etc. you THINK to yourself (and thus SAY it in your own mind, just silently) "el...guapo"!

If you do this regularly, by immediately and repeatedly USING everything you learn (through creating thoughts in your head that use whatever you have learned) you will progress VERY quickly. You learn to THINK in the language, and if you can THINK in a language you can also SPEAK it, period.

And again, you don't need to be able to construct complete sentences at first. Thinking just one word to yourself is ALSO a thought, the simplest one of all. So just start there, by thinking ONE word in Spanish to yourself and build from there. If you have learned the Spanish word for umbrella (paraguas), then everytime you pick up your umbrella or see an umbrella somewhere, think "paraguas" to yourself.

This brings me to my last point regarding thinking in Spanish, which is that it's a fantastic way to quickly build a vocabulary that is USEFUL (see point no.4 above.)

Remember, the words you will most often use are the words that describe things in YOUR reality. So what's in your reality?? The first, most obvious answer is everything that you can observe with your 5 senses. In other words, everything you can see, smell, hear, taste and touch around you. So one of the best ways to learn words that you will actually USE a lot in conversation is to look at everything around you and learn the words for what you see, use, hold etc. For example, let's say one day you're cleaning the house and you pick up a vacuum cleaner and you look at it and you realize you don't know what the word for vacuum cleaner is in Spanish. Now, would that be a good word to learn? Of course, because you often USE a vacuum cleaner in your own life! It's something you see often, it's something you use, it's a common item in YOUR reality, so it's a useful word to learn.

If you focus on learning words for everything you observe around you and for things you use, talk about with other people, think about etc. then you will be building your vocabulary in a very directed and efficient manner.

Phew! I think I will get off of my soapbox now.

Hope this helps some people!
Manuel, your ideas are some of the best I've read lately. You've inspired me to try new things.
Old September 20, 2013, 11:10 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektronj View Post
Manuel, your ideas are some of the best I've read lately. You've inspired me to try new things.
Ahora mismo, mientras que hablamos / escribimos en inglés estoy escuchando a la televisión en español. Las palabras habladas son lo que es realmente importante. No se puede aprender a hablar el español o cualquier otro idioma con sólo estudiar. Hay que escuchar el español y mucho. La lengua española es 99,99% hablada. Si no estamos escuchando el español no estamos aprendiendo a hablar español.
Un muy buen ejemplo de esto es mi esposa que viene de un pais de habla hispana. Estudió el inglés por varios años en su país natal y sabía escribirlo más o meno. Luego cuando llegó a los EE.UU. no podía entender la palabra hablada nada y mucho menos hablar. Así que hay que escuchar el español para poder entenderlo y para hablarlo.

Así que si no estamos escuchando el español no estamos aprendiendo el español.

También esta idea de pensar en español es muy bueno. Sin embargo, es muy difícil si no casi imposible pensar en español si no entendemos el español. Adelante trata de pensar en ruso o español o otro secunda lengua que no habias escuchado hablar. Asi que una vez sabiendo hablar el español pensar en español va a ser una cosa automática.

Los que estudian el español y no lo usen no van a aprender a hablar. Es por esto que es mejor aprender el español en la calle que de una clase de español. Lo ideal sin embargo, es aprender español en la calle, tomar una clase y estudiar por su cuenta.

Así que empeza a escuchar el español tanto como sea posible.

Last edited by Villa; September 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old September 20, 2013, 12:08 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
elektronj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
Ahora mismo, mientras que hablamos / escribimos en inglés estoy escuchando a la televisión en español. Las palabras habladas son lo que es realmente importante. No se puede aprender a hablar el español o cualquier otro idioma con sólo estudiar. Hay que escuchar el español y mucho. La lengua española es 99,99% hablada. Si no estamos escuchando el español no estamos aprendiendo a hablar español.
Un muy buen ejemplo de esto es mi esposa que viene de un pais de habla hispana. Estudió el inglés por varios años en su país natal y sabía escribirlo más o meno. Luego cuando llegó a los EE.UU. no podía entender la palabra hablada nada y mucho menos hablar. Así que hay que escuchar el español para poder entenderlo y para hablarlo.

Así que si no estamos escuchando el español no estamos aprendiendo el español.

También esta idea de pensar en español es muy bueno. Sin embargo, es muy difícil si no casi imposible pensar en español si no entendemos el español. Adelante trata de pensar en ruso o español o otro secunda lengua que no habias escuchado hablar. Asi que una vez sabiendo hablar el español pensar en español va a ser una cosa automática.

Los que estudian el español y no lo usen no van a aprender a hablar. Es por esto que es mejor aprender el español en la calle que de una clase de español. Lo ideal sin embargo, es aprender español en la calle, tomar una clase y estudiar por su cuenta.

Así que empeza a escuchar el español tanto como sea posible.
Sí estoy de acuerdo contigo. El problema en mi estado es no hay muchas personas que hablan español. Mi estado pasó un ley que dijo los inmigrantes que no tienen los documentos no se permitan de ir a la escuela o encontrar un trabajo. Por eso no hay muchos hispanohablantes.

Pero he encontrado unos amigos que hablan español y nos hablamos los unos a los otros. Desafortunadamente puedo escribir mejor que puedo hablar.
Old September 20, 2013, 03:23 PM
Emerald

Quote:
Sí estoy de acuerdo contigo. El problema en mi estado es no hay muchas personas que hablan español. Mi estado pasó un ley que dijo los inmigrantes que no tienen los documentos no se permitan de ir a la escuela o encontrar un trabajo. Por eso no hay muchos hispanohablantes.

Pero he encontrado unos amigos que hablan español y nos hablamos los unos a los otros. Desafortunadamente puedo escribir mejor que puedo hablar.

elektronj,

Quiero felicitarlo con todo mi corazó por tu dedicación y voluntad de hacer todo lo posible para aprender el idioma español. Tú y yo tenemos mucho en común para querer aprender español sólo que no es tan fácil en tu situación. Lo siento mucho deveras. ¿Tienes televisión en español por lo menos? Radio en español? Skype? Quisiera ayudarte.

Lo siento realmente para ti por no tener los hispanoparlantes alrededor. Esto sería terrible para mí si mi estado hizo lo que tu estado ha hecho. Déjame adivinar cual partido político es dominante en tu estado. (Mejor no digo nada.)
¿En qué estado vives si se puede saber? El estado de la confusión? Estoy bromeando. Arizona? Mississippi? Muchos de nuestros estados en los EE.UU. son muy racistas. Seamos sinceros. Ponemos las cartas sobre la mesa. Algunas personas no se dan cuenta también de que los ilegales son los que hacen todos los trabajos más peligrosos, sucios, con bajos salarios. ¿Quien quere trabajar todo el santo dia en el sol caliente recogiendo frutas y vegetales sin un baño normal repirando insecticides? ¿Quién quiere trabajar en un matadero/slaughterhouse con cuchillos afilados por todos lados y un montón de sangre donde los pobres trabajadores se lesiona y se cortan mucho? Piensa en todos los peores trabajos más peligrosos que hay y los illegales están haciendo los. ¿Cuanto americanos harían esto? Nadie. Hay trabajos que muchos estadounidenses simplemente no harían no importa lo desesperados por el dinero que podrían ser. Los estadounidenses pobres sin hogar se piden dinero en la calle, pero no van a hacer el trabajo que los ilegales hacen. Los indocumentados pagan a la Seguridad Social por lo que es más fuerte para el resto de nosotros, porque no van a recibir los beneficios de la Seguridad Social. ¿Sabías esto? Los illegales pagan alrededor de siete millones a la Seguridad Social. ¿Realmente, que haríamos sin ellos?

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; September 20, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old September 23, 2013, 07:42 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Dutch / holandés
Manuel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thank you very much! I am happy to have inspired you.

I have some additional things that are helping me, so maybe these will inspire you some more:

1. A fun way to increase your vocabulary is to visit Spanish websites of stores, government institutions, banks, public transportation sites etc. This way you can learn a lot of practical vocabulary, but most importantly, in a much more fun and effective way. Take the website of the Spanish department store El Corte Inglés, for example, http://www.elcorteingles.es

By browsing through the site you can see pictures of all the things they sell and read the accompanying descriptions. This way you remember much easier what a word means because you are linking it to an image.

There are tons of sites to find. You'll have to do some research to find these (I can give you some tips if you like) but the possibilities are almost infinite. Do you want to know more words that relate to public transportation? Go to the website of a big city's public transportation system and knock yourself out with all the new words you can absorb! Do you want to know more words related to food and dining out? Visit restaurant websites. The possibilities are endless, and it's a lot more fun to visit Spanish websites than learning new words in a very dry, academic manner. If you visit websites in Spain you'll start to feel like a Spaniard just browsing through his country's internet! I do it all the time now. An added benefit is that you also learn things about the local culture and procedures etc.

2. Use sentence construction makers online. The great thing about these is that they give you all kinds of example phrases with a word or words you type in the search box. There are several online, but one of my favorites is this one. Type in a verb in the search box and the program gives you all kinds of short phrases that use this verb, in different tenses, different subjects etc. You can even type in a conjugated version of the verb, e.g. "abre" (from "abrir") and it will give phrases with just "abre" in the sentence. You can also type in nouns, conjunctions etc. It's a great way to find examples of how to use new words you learn in a sentence.

3. Keep your dictionary open and handy nearby. The reason I say this is that often we don't do something simply because it takes a little effort. If you stow your dictonaries away on a shelf somewhere where you have to get up and walk a few feet to get them, you will find that many times you won't bother to look up a word that you might be interested in, simply because you can't just pick up your dictionary and look inside right away. You might be surprised how much more you will use a tool if it takes less effort to use it! Regarding dictionaries, that's why my preference right now is a digital dictionary on the computer. The GREAT benefit of a digital dictionary is that you can use the search function. It is SO much easier to just type in the word and let the program flip to the page automatically then to leaf through a paper dictionary with hundreds of pages until you find the correct word. Since I switched to digital dictionaries I found I have started using them infinitely more often. And of course, they are available to me right away when I'm behind the computer, just one click of the mouse and I have it open on my screen where I can type in the word I'm looking for and instantly I'm at the correct page with the translation. I look up ten times as many words now as I ever did when I was using my paper dictionaries.

Last edited by Manuel; September 23, 2013 at 07:45 AM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: