Old December 23, 2016, 07:28 PM
Opal

Native Language: American English
lordhelmit is on a distinguished road
Hola me llamo Aaron :)

Hola, me llamo Aaron. Estoy quiero aprender más español porque mi novia nuevo es de Puerto Rico, y porque esta bueno saber a mi trabajo. Uno razón más es porque quiero entender español mejor. No tengo mucho práctica hablando, pero creo puedo escribo y leer ok. por favor, correcto todos mis errores en este mensaje.

I hope I was able to make sense. I've been practicing for a few years in my head, ever since I lived in LA and took Spanish in high school! No vivo en LA ahora, vivo en Raleigh NC y me gusta aquí. Tengo 25 años. necesito tú ayuda por favor! Im always confused on using past tense, and when to use "tú, yo, él, ella" as to when they are implied by the ending on the verb. Also, es/soy vs esta/estoy. Also, in my spanish introduction, could I have said "quiero aprender español porque..." instead of "estoy quiero aprender..."? Was más in the right order or could it have been after "Español" and the sentence would still make sense?

¿Así, cómo es me español? ¿Puedo sobrevive hablando en Puerto Rico o México?

Sorry for all the questions in the initial post, I just want to learn I didn't use an automatic translator for anything I typed here, not while I was typing maybe yesterday or somethung haha.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 23, 2016, 07:57 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English (U.S.)
Depilego is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I don't know Spanish so I can't read any of your questions. I'm trying to learn it too. The other people here are really knowledgeable so I think you came to the right place.
Old December 23, 2016, 09:42 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forums! !Bienvenido a los foros!

I'll mark what I notice is wrong (and maybe give you a hint about why it's wrong). I suggest you try to fix what you can, and ask questions about what you can't figure out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhelmit View Post
Hola, me llamo Aaron. Estoy quiero (You can't use two conjugated verbs together like this. You asked a question about this later in your message.) aprender más español porque mi novia nuevo (agreement) es de Puerto Rico, y porque esta (you wrote a demonstrative pronoun instead of a verb; however, the verb you wanted to write is the wrong choice) bueno saber a (try a different preposition) mi trabajo. Uno (agreement) razón más es porque quiero entender español mejor. No tengo mucho (agreement) práctica hablando (wrong form of verb for this position), pero creo (*) (you need something here: it's optional in English, but required in Spanish) puedo escribo y leer ok. por favor, correcto (not Spanish; try checking a bilingual dictionary to find the Spanish equivalent) todos mis errores en este mensaje.

I hope I was able to make sense. I've been practicing for a few years in my head, ever since I lived in LA and took Spanish in high school! No vivo en LA ahora, vivo en Raleigh NC y me gusta aquí. Tengo 25 años. (*) (missing punctuation) necesito (you wrote a subject pronoun, you want a possessive adjective) ayuda por favor! Im always confused on using past tense, and when to use "tú, yo, él, ella" as to when they are implied by the ending on the verb. Also, es/soy vs esta/estoy. Also, in my spanish introduction, could I have said "quiero aprender español porque..." instead of "estoy quiero aprender..."? Was más in the right order or could it have been after "Español" and the sentence would still make sense?

¿Así (There are better word choices than this one), cómo es me español? ¿Puedo sobrevive hablando (Two conjugated verbs in a row again.) en Puerto Rico o México?

Sorry for all the questions in the initial post, I just want to learn I didn't use an automatic translator for anything I typed here, not while I was typing maybe yesterday or somethung haha.
As for your questions:
1. Some forum threads discuss the specific issues you mention:
- preterit vs imperfect
- when to use subject pronouns
- ser vs estar

2. You aren't good enough (yet) to be mistaken as a native speaker. But given that the last time you had classes was around 7 years ago and you've only been practicing in your head since then, you're doing well enough, and I think you'd survive just fine in Mexico or Puerto Rico, although you can expect to need a few weeks to get your listening skills up to speed.

Last edited by wrholt; December 23, 2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old December 23, 2016, 11:46 PM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
¡Bienvenido a los foros, Aaron!

I see that wrholt responded before I got finished. I agree with most of what he marked and stated, but perhaps two opinions won't hurt.

Quote:
Hola, me llamo Aaron.

Estoy Quiero aprender más español porque mi novia nuevo es de Puerto Rico, y porque esta bueno saber() a mi trabajo.
(
- estoy = 'I am'; quiero = 'I want'. You can't have two conjugated verbs in a clause.
- There's no need to move 'más' to another place.
- The noun 'novia' is feminine. The adjective you used must have a matching ending, gender-wise.
- You should use a conjugated form of 'ser' with 'bueno', in this case.
- You should append the direct object pronoun for 'it' on the infinitive
- You've used the wrong preposition. It should be 'for' (purpose), instead of 'to'.
)

Quote:
Uno razón más es porque quiero entender español mejor.
No tengo mucho práctica hablando(), pero creo () puedo escribo() y leer() ok.
por favor, correcto todos mis errores en este mensaje.

(
- It's a good idea to append a direct object pronoun on the gerundio (hablando) and each infinitive (once you correct 'escribo' to the infinitive form (because two conjugated verbs can't exist in a clause), and 'leer'.
- 'OK' is not Spanish. Use 'well', or 'well enough', instead.
- Use the imperative form of 'corregir', instead of the adjective 'correcto'.
)
Quote:
No vivo en LA ahora, vivo en Raleigh NC y me gusta (aquí).
Tengo 25 años.
()necesito tú ayuda por favor!
I'm always confused on using the past tense, and when to use "tú, yo, él, ella" as to when they are implied by the ending on the verb. Also, es/soy vs esta/estoy.
¿Así, ()cómo es me español?
¿Puedo sobrevive hablando en Puerto Rico o México?
(
- The inverted exclamation mark is just as important as the inverted question mark, and both are employed immediately prior to the exclamatory word or the interrogative, as in the case of 'cómo'.
- The word 'así' means 'thus', or 'like this/so'. To change or resume a topic, use 'entonces'.
)

In the present indicative tense, the verb ending conveys the first- and second-person with no need for clarification. In the third person, you must clarify the subject pronoun: 'él', 'ella' or 'usted'
Old December 24, 2016, 08:12 AM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depilego View Post
Hi,

I don't know Spanish so I can't read any of your questions. I'm trying to learn it too. The other people here are really knowledgeable so I think you came to the right place.
It looks like I did! Don't worry,I can hardly speak Spanish either, I took Spanish 1 and 2 in high school and retained what I could over the years. I've always wanted to speak it better, and now I have a Latina girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrholt View Post
Welcome to the forums! !Bienvenido a los foros!

I'll mark what I notice is wrong (and maybe give you a hint about why it's wrong). I suggest you try to fix what you can, and ask questions about what you can't figure out yet.

As for your questions:
1. Some forum threads discuss the specific issues you mention:
- preterit vs imperfect
- when to use subject pronouns
- ser vs estar

2. You aren't good enough (yet) to be mistaken as a native speaker. But given that the last time you had classes was around 7 years ago and you've only been practicing in your head since then, you're doing well enough, and I think you'd survive just fine in Mexico or Puerto Rico, although you can expect to need a few weeks to get your listening skills up to speed.
Thank you for your corrections, as well as the reasons behind them - that's the whole reason I'm here! I know I wouldn't be mistaken for a native speaker lol no way, especially speaking! As for getting my listening skills up to speed, yes that is what I'm working on. Spanish is very fast to my ears, but I've been watching Netflix shows with Spanish audio ad spanish subtitles, following along best I can, identifying words and sounds, and googling random phrases for their translation. also listening to "SpanPod101" podcast at work. As you can see, I'm trying to really immerse myself here. ¡Quiero hablar con su familia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
¡Bienvenido a los foros, Aaron!

I see that wrholt responded before I got finished. I agree with most of what he marked and stated, but perhaps two opinions won't hurt.

(
- estoy = 'I am'; quiero = 'I want'. You can't have two conjugated verbs in a clause.
- There's no need to move 'más' to another place.
- The noun 'novia' is feminine. The adjective you used must have a matching ending, gender-wise.
- You should use a conjugated form of 'ser' with 'bueno', in this case.
- You should append the direct object pronoun for 'it' on the infinitive
- You've used the wrong preposition. It should be 'for' (purpose), instead of 'to'.
)

(
- It's a good idea to append a direct object pronoun on the gerundio (hablando) and each infinitive (once you correct 'escribo' to the infinitive form (because two conjugated verbs can't exist in a clause), and 'leer'.
- 'OK' is not Spanish. Use 'well', or 'well enough', instead.
- Use the imperative form of 'corregir', instead of the adjective 'correcto'.
)
(
- The inverted exclamation mark is just as important as the inverted question mark, and both are employed immediately prior to the exclamatory word or the interrogative, as in the case of 'cómo'.
- The word 'así' means 'thus', or 'like this/so'. To change or resume a topic, use 'entonces'.
)

In the present indicative tense, the verb ending conveys the first- and second-person with no need for clarification. In the third person, you must clarify the subject pronoun: 'él', 'ella' or 'usted'
Thank you very much for those pointers. Getting the masculine/feminine agreement is a bit tricky to me. For example, when I said "uno razón más es porque quiero entender español mejor", you both corrected my "uno" because of agreement (or lack thereof). So, I don't see any feminine words in that sentence, so how would I have known to make it una? My girlfriend corrected me on that once too, when I said "lo mismo" and it should've been "la misma".

One thing I'm going to have to brush up on is these grammatical terms and phrases. The phrase "present indicative" or "infinitive", "direct object pronoun" have almost no meaning in my brain anymore.
Old December 24, 2016, 09:14 AM
Señor Speedy

Sorry, I try to use the grammatical terms as much as possible because they are the shortest way to express the concept (expecting the reader to look up what the terms mean ).

The indefinite article we both marked as wrong-uno-precedes a noun, and it must agree with that noun in gender and number. The word 'razón' is a singular, feminine noun, so you have to choose the singular feminine indefinite article 'una' (I suggest you memorize all nouns with their articles, both singular and plural). If the feminine noun is plural, you use 'unas'. If the noun is masculine, the singular indefinite article is 'un' and the plural is 'unos'.
There are definite articles, too. They are 'la', 'las', 'el' and 'los', respectively.

You most likely recognize the term 'present tense'. That is used to describe verbs whose action is happening now, in the present. The 'indicative' part names the mood. Spanish cares a great deal about the mood. It is 'indicative' if it is real or factual. It is 'subjunctive' if it is not real or factual, including events that haven't transpired yet. The 'imperative' mood is used to give a command. The 'conditional' mood is self-explanatory (yay!).

All things grammar are somewhat spelled out in the Grammar section, if you want to take a gander. Idiomatic expressions, like the one just used, can be found in the Idioms section. Search on 'gander' to see what the expression is in Spanish.
Old December 30, 2016, 03:01 PM
Opal

Gracias por tu ayuda. I am going to try to rewrite my initial post from memory and what I've picked up in the last few days. Will fix accents and whatnot when I can edit on my phone. I also have thought of several questions, but doubt I should keep asking here.

Hola, me llamo Aaron. Me gustaría aprender más español porque mi novia nueva es de Puerto Rico, y es bueno saber para trabajo. Una razón más es porque quiero entender español mejor, en persona. No tengo mucha práctica habl(ando?), pero creo (que?) puedo escribir y leer bien. Por favor, (corrige?) todos mis errores en este mensaje. Quiero viajar (a?) PR o Mexico sólo para intentar. Tengo miedo (que?) hablaré mal.

Last edited by lordhelmit; December 30, 2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old December 30, 2016, 03:09 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tengo miedo (que?) hablaré mal.
"Tengo miedo de hablar mal."

To make an omelette you have to break some eggs
Old December 30, 2016, 03:17 PM
Señor Speedy

There's an 'Accents' drop-down menu just above where you type. You can use it to insert all the special characters.
Quote:
Gracias por tu ayuda.
No hay de qué.

Hola, me llamo Aaron. Me gustaría aprender más español porque mi novia nueva es de Puerto Rico, y es bueno saberlo para el trabajo. Una razón más es porque quiero entender español mejor, en persona. No tengo mucha práctica hablando, pero creo que puedo escribirlo y leerlo bien. Por favor, corrige/corregid/corrija/corrijan todos los errores en este mensaje. Quiero viajar a PR o a México solo para intentar. Tengo miedo de hablarlo mal.
Old December 30, 2016, 04:48 PM
Opal

Adding "lo" to the end of an infinitive, that means "it", yes? Hacerlo, do it. Comerlo, eat it. Amarlo, love it. Is that how it works? I was trying to practice that yesterday a bit.

Last edited by Rusty; December 30, 2016 at 05:40 PM. Reason: moved additional questions to their own threads

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: