Old July 19, 2010, 01:18 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Aquí decimos la marca o tabiques (o techos, aislamiento, estanterías, etc.) de yeso, o de placa de yeso o cartón yeso. Con el "boom" de la construcción casi todos los interiores de los pisos nuevos están hechos con yeso (pladur(R) es como se conoce, aunque hay más marcas).

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 19, 2010, 02:58 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Aquí decimos la marca o tabiques (o techos, aislamiento, estanterías, etc.) de yeso, o de placa de yeso o cartón yeso. Con el "boom" de la construcción casi todos los interiores de los pisos nuevos están hechos con yeso (pladur(R) es como se conoce, aunque hay más marcas).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheath View Post
In Britain a dry wall is as the dictionary definition: a wall constructed of stones without mortar. In Spain these are common, indeed, I saw a very smooth and regular wall being constructed to retain a roadside embankment in Cuenca province this year, I did't think to ask what the Spanish word was, but I would love to know.
John Heath
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflestomp View Post
Dry wall is what you use to repair a wall or ceiling... ie "spackling". For example, if you were to have a hole in your wall, caused by whatever means, you would 'spackle' it or call a "spackler" to cut up a piece of dry wall and apply it to your broken wall.
Thank you all, and understood on these usages of the words, and applications of the 'object'.
Note well too, that jrheath is referring to the other (more ancient) definition of 'dry wall'. It is not the most common usage in present times, but still is one definition that can be heard and used.
Old July 19, 2010, 11:38 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
David is right: In Mexico we say "Tablaroca", because that's the main brand of those "placas de yeso" used to divide rooms without building a brickwall.

The brand I've seen that sells "placas de cemento" for outdoor use is "Durock", but I don't know whether architects or engineers usually call them by the brand.
Old July 19, 2010, 11:49 AM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
To me drywall refers to the process of construction as well as the actual panels used. The panels are made of pressed gypsum and thick paper on both sides. Other names I've heard for drywall are: gypsum board, plasterboard, sheetrock (brand name), and wallboard. The term I've heard in Mexico is tablaroca (brand name). Searching on the web indicates that Pladur (brand name), placa de yeso, and cartón yeso are the names used in Spain. Cement board (mentioned earlier, I believe) is a different product altogether.
Old July 20, 2010, 03:29 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
¡Muchas gracias, Tomsimo/Davidísimo!

Tags
block, cartón yeso, cement board, dry wall, drywall, placa de yesa, pladur, sheetrock, tabique, tablaroca

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: