Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

Imperfecto de Indicativo

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old June 27, 2011, 08:01 PM
Opal

billiam1185 is on a distinguished road
Post Imperfecto de Indicativo

ESPAÑOL:

Yo estoy estudiando español. Yo ha tomado dos años de español en la escuela, y ahora yo estoy estudiando solo. Yo estoy estudiando el "Imperfecto de Indicadivo" y quiero verificar que yo estoy se uso pues.

Por ejamplo, ¿digo "Señora Brown quería poder hablar español con facilidad" si yo sé que ella quiso "poder hablar español" el año pasado, pero no sé si ella quiere poder ahora?

Y si yo hací errores en mí espeñol aquí, pueden me decir.

ENGLISH:

I am studying spanish. I have taken two years of Spanish in school, and no I am studying on my own. I am studying the "Imperfect de Indicadivo" and want to verify that I am using it well.

For example, do I say "Señora Brown quería poder hablar español con facilidad" if I know that she wanted to be able to speak Spanish last year but don't know if she still wants to be able to now?

And if I make mistakes in my Spanish here, you can tell me.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 27, 2011, 11:15 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiam1185 View Post
ESPAÑOL:

(Yo) Estudio español. (Yo) He tomado dos años de español en la escuela, y ahora lo estudio solo. (Yo) Estoy estudiando el "Imperfecto de Indicativo" y quiero verificar que lo uso bien.

Por ejemplo, ¿digo "Señora Brown quería poder hablar español con facilidad" si yo sé que ella quiso "poder hablar español" el año pasado, pero no sé si ella quiere hacerlo ahora? Sí. Lo has dicho bien.

Y si (yo) cometo errores en mi español aquí, pueden decirme.

ENGLISH:

I am studying Spanish. I have taken two years of Spanish in school, and now I am studying on my own. I am studying the "Past Continuous" and want to verify that I am using it well.

For example, do I say "Señora Brown quería poder hablar español con facilidad" if I know that she wanted to be able to speak Spanish last year but don't know if she still wants to be able to now?

And if I make mistakes in my Spanish here, you can tell me.
Welcome to the forums!!

Corrections given above.
There's no need to emphasize that you are the speaker (drop the subject pronoun if the verb's conjugated ending conveys the person without ambiguity).
The continuous form that you used is overkill in Spanish. The simple present tense is what you really wanted to use. The continuous form should only be used when you are currently doing the action at that moment.

The first person, singular, preterite tense of hacer is hice (not hací), but I changed the verb to what you meant to say instead (cometemos errores, no los hacemos) and used the present tense because that matches the English translation.
Old June 28, 2011, 07:20 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
I'll add just one more correction: When using "señora"/"señor"/"señorita" to speak about a third person, one should use an article before the title: "La señora Brown quería hablar español"/"el señor Brown quería hablar español"/"la señorita Brown quería hablar español".
The article is not needed if you are addressing the person: "Señora Brown, ¿quiere usted hablar español?"

Tags
imperfecto de indicadivo, tense

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: