Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Subtitles versus Voice Overs and Dub-in

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old April 04, 2011, 09:48 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
The movies for my proposes are very defined for me, already they subtitles in the movies are very needed for someone who are learning English this is my personal case, I do a comparison with the subtitles when I'm trying to understand the movie in English, therefore I believe need that kind to method for everyone inclusive for Spanish learning too.

I'm going with the Spanish subtitle anyway..

Sincerely yours.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 04, 2011, 10:41 AM
Diamond

Native Language: English
Elaina will become famous soon enough
I have this friend that watches American movies that are dubbed......they are awful! Usually the same people over and over and over again. The screams are not real, even the swearing is bad and the little nuances of the language are lost.

Then there are the sub-titled ones......these are just as bad. You are trying to read the sub-titles and lose the action on the screen.

I vote for neither.....but unfortunately what can you do?

Old April 04, 2011, 04:58 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
I guess, learn the native tongue of the films...
Thank you all for your views and data on this...
Old April 05, 2011, 11:46 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Yes sincerely is good to learn a new language inclusive to watching the American movies, at least in my on own I like to listen them.

Already I can get knowledge and new slangs in the movies spoken in English.

Sincerely yours.
Old April 06, 2011, 04:23 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Castillan spanish
explorator is on a distinguished road
I must admit that I'm not satisfied with the film about Capitan Alatriste, directed a few years ago by Agustín Díaz Yañez; anyway the effort that Viggo Mortensen made to speak Spain's spanish in it, would be lost if the film were dubbed into any other language. This is just an example to express that watching films in their original languages is the only way to perceive the real actoral work.
In the other hand, I like watching the original version of films in english, french and italian, because I'm able to understand them and doing this way I improve my speaking and listening skills, but, if a film has been shot in a language I don't understand, I dont see the point of watching it not dubbed.
Old April 06, 2011, 07:39 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorator View Post
I must admit that I'm not satisfied with the film about Capitan Alatriste, directed a few years ago by Agustín Díaz Yañez; anyway the effort that Viggo Mortensen made to speak Spain's spanish in it, would be lost if the film were dubbed into any other language. This is just an example to express that watching films in their original languages is the only way to perceive the real actoral work.
In the other hand, I like watching the original version of films in english, french and italian, because I'm able to understand them and doing this way I improve my speaking and listening skills, but, if a film has been shot in a language I don't understand, I dont see the point of watching it not dubbed.
Only if you were using the film to learn the that language and you watch it to practice your listening skills.
Old April 06, 2011, 09:57 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorator View Post
...anyway the effort that Viggo Mortensen made to speak Spain's spanish in it, would be lost if the film were dubbed into any other language.

Viggo Mortensen es cuasi-argentino. Vivió en la provincia del Chaco entre los 3 y los 11 años de edad -y allí se hizo hincha de San Lorenzo de Almagro-. Habla castellano con una mezcla de acento litoraleño educado y ese acento ligeramente extranjerizado que los hablantes nativos tenemos cuando volvemos de vivir mucho tiempo en un lugar donde se habla otro idioma.
Old April 06, 2011, 09:10 PM
Diamond

Gracias, Explorator, por tu punto de vista. Valioso y claro para mí. Gracias a Chileno y a Alec... y gracias a la vida... que me ha dado tanto...

Por supuesto, si es para practicar el idioma, el original es lo mejor, pero en caso contrario, sólo para divertirse o informarse, parece que el programa doblado se lleva la palma...

Claro, yo disfruté con el acento irlandés de Tom Cruise en "Far and Away", y cosas por el estilo... (que por cierto, no sé cómo lo hicieron en español, pues es film lo vi hace mucho...) (Hay que ver, toda la vida llamándolas "piñículas" y ahora resulta que se llaman "flims"...)
Old April 07, 2011, 06:50 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Castillan spanish
explorator is on a distinguished road
En otro orden de cosas, me gustaría señalar que aunque parezca una contradicción, en España, las películas extrangeras dobladas al castellano, tienen una mejor pronunciación y vocalización que las películas rodadas directamente en castellano. Es decir, los actores de doblaje en España pronuncian mucho mejor que los actores de cine y televisión en general. De hecho, aquí, el atractivo físico de los actores y actrices es inversamente proporcional a la calidad de su declamación
Old April 07, 2011, 05:15 PM
Diamond

Cierto... (aunque tampoco se puede generalizar)
El arte del doblaje en España siempre tuvo un nivel de calidad muy elevado... (Y hablo en pasado porque hace un siglo que no he visto películas dobladas...)

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: