Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Homeschooling: German Family Gets Political Asylum in U.S.

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Old March 03, 2010, 10:38 AM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 03, 2010, 10:46 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Is homeschool better that public school?
Old March 03, 2010, 10:57 AM

in some ways yes
Old March 03, 2010, 11:02 AM
Diamond

Which ways? Who is the teacher?

Here it's not possible (maybe in cases of illness). But I would never use this method.
Old March 03, 2010, 11:08 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Home schooling is allowed in the UK, but not in Germany. This case sounds like some parents with a really insane religious agenda, and I pity the children. Let's hope they are intelligent enough to survive the indoctrination.
Old March 03, 2010, 11:13 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Home schooling is allowed in the UK, but not in Germany. This case sounds like some parents with a really insane religious agenda, and I pity the children. Let's hope they are intelligent enough to survive the indoctrination.
I agree with you. But I don't think they'll be able to.
Old March 03, 2010, 11:33 AM

the parents are the teachers, and some advantages are that the children won't get bullied ...

1. Flexible Schedule
Homeschooling enables a flexible schedule. For example, the child does not need to wake up at 7 every morning. With homeschooling, your child can start homeschooling at 9am or later depending on your preferred schedule. You can schedule your child's homeschooling education as you see fit with materials or subjects that may be not available in a traditional school.
You can tailor the homeschool curriculum to suit the needs and interest of your child.
2. Individual attention
In a traditional school setting, thirty to forty students are assigned to a teacher in class. Therefore usually, the teacher cannot devote 100 percent attention to any child since it will not be fair to the other children. Plus, it is quite impossible to provide individual attention to all students.
With homeschooling, your child gets all the individual attention he/she needs. For example, if your child is weak in mathematics, you could devote more time and energy into teaching mathematics.
Your child's homeschooling schedule can be adjusted to crater for that. For example, if your child is better at science than at mathematics, simple devote more homeschooling hours to mathematics and cut back on science. With homeschooling, the choice is yours. Traditional schools can't do that.
3. Family Activity
The schooling of the child can become an extended family activity. Examples are field trips and experiments. Plus, the child also receives more quality time with his/her parents. There is more time for family bonding. The child is also free of any negative peer pressure or influences.
4. No peer pressure
With homeschooling, the child does not need to prove his/her abilities to other children. Parents are able to deeply understand their child better with homeschooling and therefore are able to plan the learning program according to his strengths and weakness.
Parents can also change the curriculum to suit the learning style of the child. For example, some children learn better from reading while others need to write. Some children even learn better from experiencing or seeing things in action.
5. Religion Learning
Religious learning is a sensitive issue hence most traditional schools shunned it. However, with homeschooling, parents can take control over the moral and religious learning of the child. Parents can impart their ideologies and deep beliefs into the child rather than let the school dictate what moral and religious education the child will be receiving.
Homeschooling is the best way to educate a child as you can see from the advantages listed below. If you have the time, the interest and the ability, why not give it a try?
Old March 03, 2010, 11:33 AM
Pearl

lblanco is on a distinguished road
I'd like to chime in on this topic:
In California, parents have the option of homeschooling their children. There is a set curriculum parents must follow that meet the State standards and guidelines. Kids are tested periodically (at their local school) to ensure they are meeting those standards. I for one do not choose to homeschool. I have a son in 7th grade who has Aspergers', and is getting exceptional services at his school. They not only meet his need academically (which I don't think I am qualified to do even though I work at a school district) but it's also meets his needs social needs. On the other hand, his best friend started homeschooling this year. This boy is high functioning autistic, and although he is keeping up with the education standards, I see him regressing in social skills and other areas needed in every day life. Mom and dad are very protective, they don't want their son exposed to situations which may come up in a school setting (bullying etc). My son has faced a couple of difficult situations, and is learning to deal with challenges as they arise.

Thank you
Old March 03, 2010, 11:35 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry for my ignorance.

What's it?
Old March 03, 2010, 01:34 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
I'm sorry for my ignorance.

What's it?
Se ve que en EEUU la gente puede dar clases a sus hijos en casa, en lugar de ir al colegio. En Alemania eso está prohibido (en España también). Por eso esta familia ha pedido asilo "político" en EEUU, para poder dar clases a sus hijos en casa y que no vayan al colegio.

If children don't go to school and they are not related with another children, you will have a generation of American hikikomori. Furthermore, which parents are enough educated to teach their children? I don't think there are parents enough educated to teach all the subjects children must learn. Have they studied pedagogy and psichology to be a teacher? And parents... don't they work?

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: