Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

A couple of vocab words...(spanish)

Ask about definitions or translations for Spanish or English words.

Old July 01, 2009, 11:36 AM
Ruby

Ferlas is on a distinguished road
A couple of vocab words...(spanish)

Taza - Mug
Sentado/a - Seated?
Parado/a - Standing?
Abrigo - Winter Coat?
Sobre - On top of? (El libro esta sobre la mesa.)
el inodoro - Toilet?
el fregadoro - Sink?

Edit: I'm going to keep updating this thread with words that I'm not sure of.

Last edited by Ferlas; July 01, 2009 at 11:50 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 01, 2009, 11:57 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlas View Post
Taza - Mug
Sentado/a - Seated?
Parado/a - Standing?
Abrigo - Winter Coat?
Sobre - On top of? (El libro esta sobre la mesa.)
el inodoro - Toilet?
el fregadoro - Sink?

Edit: I'm going to keep updating this thread with words that I'm not sure of.
Parado in some countries has the meaning of 'standing', but in Spain 'parado' means still or stopped. The other words are OK, I think.

El autobús está parado.
The bus is stopped.

¡Estate quieto!
Be still!
Old July 01, 2009, 12:00 PM
Ruby

Ferlas is on a distinguished road
That was what was confusing me.

I was using Rosetta Stone, and they showed a man stopped. I know from my previous year of Spanish that parar means to stop, so I wasn't quite sure which one it was.

Would I be able to use it inter-changeably, or is there another word for stopped, or still?

Thanks.
Old July 01, 2009, 12:11 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlas View Post
That was what was confusing me.

I was using Rosetta Stone, and they showed a man stopped. I know from my previous year of Spanish that parar means to stop, so I wasn't quite sure which one it was.

Would I be able to use it inter-changeably, or is there another word for stopped, or still?

Thanks.
Maybe you can use 'quieto' instead of 'parado', so it has the same meaning in all countries, although I'm not sure at all.

There is a slight difference between 'quieto' and 'parado'. Usually 'parado' is used with things which usually are in movement: un ciclista, un niño corriendo, un autobús, un tren, el viento, ... se paró: ahora está parado. También están quietos, pero mejor 'parados'. I don't know in another countries how they say that.

Standing in Spain means 'de pie', 'estar de pie'
Old July 01, 2009, 02:11 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
Nico is on a distinguished road
I feel I need to step in and clarify some things. You're obviously going to hear and use different verbs and words in different countries, that does not necessarily mean that they are wrong.

"Parar" does mean "to stop."
"Pararse" in many countries means to stand (up). I've heard it used many times in Mexico. I'd say I even heard it used in Mexico more than "estar de pie," but that could just be my experiences. It's an example of a linguistic term called ________ (and of course I can't think of it! ) Maybe someone else can think of it, it's a ancient word that speakers shouldn't really use any more due to the change and maturation of a language, but they still do)
Pararse is an example used in Mexico.
Another example is "platicar."

**EDIT: Finally overcame my brain fart and thought of the word: it is called an "arcaísmo." Follow this webpage for further explanation of the term.
ARCAISMO: En lingüística histórica el término arcaísmo se usa para designar un término léxico o un elemento gramatical que ha desaparecido del habla cotidiana de los hablantes, pero que es usado en ciertos contextos o entendido por los hablantes.

Go to: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arca%C3%ADsmo

Last edited by Nico; July 01, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old July 02, 2009, 12:50 AM
Diamond

I told him that 'pararse' means 'estar de pie' in some countries. But I explained the use of 'pararse' in Spain, that's all. I don't know which countries use 'pararse' with another meaning.
Old July 02, 2009, 10:09 AM
Ruby

Native Language: English
Nico is on a distinguished road
Oh, I know. I understood, I was just speaking in general about the usage of different verbs and words. 'Ta biem (como se lo pronuncia en Yucatan, Mexico). I also wanted to introduce the "arcaísmo" term. I found it very interesting when I studied it in my Spanish Sociolinguistics class.
Old July 02, 2009, 10:23 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Oh, I know. I understood, I was just speaking in general about the usage of different verbs and words. 'Ta biem (como se lo pronuncia en Yucatan, Mexico). I also wanted to introduce the "arcaísmo" term. I found it very interesting when I studied it in my Spanish Sociolinguistics class.
Nico the word Ta biem is bad said, the correct pronoun is Esta bien, there are much way to say the same in Spanish.

For example you can say. Ta bueno, this example also is bad said. Because the correct phrase is Esta bién.

The way to says the words is depending of the region where you are in that moment, but, I believe that you mustn't to learn to way to speak because sometimes it's will be confuse for you when you are learning the Spanish.
Old July 02, 2009, 11:43 AM
Diamond

'Ta bien" or 't'has pasao', for instance, is used in rapid speech, but you shouldn't write in this way (it's like English wanna or gonna)

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: