Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

What accent should I emulate?

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old September 04, 2013, 08:22 AM
Opal

Zarnium is on a distinguished road
What accent should I emulate?

I'm a brand-new Spanish learner at college, and I have a question about accents. I want to get my pronunciation correct and minimize my American accent, and I thought the best way to do this would be to imitate a native speaker as closely as possible. However, I live in the United States, Ohio, and my teacher is from Spain. Her accent, while I like it, is a bit different from the Mexican and Caribbean accents that are usually seen in Spanish speaking people in the US. (Which I'm not actually very familiar with).

I'm thinking of trying to copy her accent, "ceceo" and all, to get practice pronouncing a Spanish-language accent, instead of just doing my best guess as to what a Mexican/Caribbean accent sounds like. However, I've heard that North American Spanish-speakers tend to think that the Peninsular accent is either absurd or pretentious, and I don't want to get the cold shoulder.

Also, while I live in the US, I also live in southeastern Ohio; there are very few hispanic immigrants here. This teacher and the ones that come after her are going to be the people that I hear Spanish from the most, and so I'm still thinking it might best to just try to copy them, whatever their accent is. If using a peninsular accent later on causes problems, I can always at least drop the ceceo.

Thoughts?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 04, 2013, 09:52 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarnium View Post
I'm a brand-new Spanish learner at college, and I have a question about accents. I want to get my pronunciation correct and minimize my American accent, and I thought the best way to do this would be to imitate a native speaker as closely as possible. However, I live in the United States, Ohio, and my teacher is from Spain. Her accent, while I like it, is a bit different from the Mexican and Caribbean accents that are usually seen in Spanish speaking people in the US. (Which I'm not actually very familiar with).

I'm thinking of trying to copy her accent, "ceceo" and all, to get practice pronouncing a Spanish-language accent, instead of just doing my best guess as to what a Mexican/Caribbean accent sounds like. However, I've heard that North American Spanish-speakers tend to think that the Peninsular accent is either absurd or pretentious, and I don't want to get the cold shoulder.

Also, while I live in the US, I also live in southeastern Ohio; there are very few hispanic immigrants here. This teacher and the ones that come after her are going to be the people that I hear Spanish from the most, and so I'm still thinking it might best to just try to copy them, whatever their accent is. If using a peninsular accent later on causes problems, I can always at least drop the ceceo.

Thoughts?
Hola Zardium. I'm actually very glad you asked this question because accents of Spanish(and or English, Italian)are my favorito subject.

The majority of Spanish speakers that live in the U.S. are from Mexcio and the Mexican accent for those of us living in the U.S. is the most logical accent to speak with. (We border Mexico. It's one of the longest borders in the world.) And I have the soluction for you amigo mio. Every night I watch 4 Mexican novelas, that's right, 4 Mexican novelas.
I went to Cuba one time and they asked me if I was Mexican. I said no. They said then why are you speaking with a Mexican accent. jajaja=hahaha So you're simple solution is to watch Mexican novelas. Also I have bought many Mexican novelas on DVD and I watch them.

Now if you live in Florida, New York or New Jersey you might want to speak with a Cuban/Puerto Rican or Dominican accent. Which would just happen if you lived there and were around those speakers.

That being said do not worry that you copy your ceceo speaking teacher for now. Actually you'll have no choice in the matter. We speak like or with the accent of the people we are around. The important thing is that you learn to understand and speak Spanish. The important thing is that you learn lots of Spanish words/vocabulary. (You need to learn how to conjugate Spanish verbs también.) I lived in Italy and learned to speak Italian. Then I learned Spanish. My Italian accent didn't last long. Acutally my Italian accent helped when I was around my friends from Argentina. They said I had a very good Argentine accent and all I did was speak Spanish with an Italian accent.

I was lucky because when I first started learning Spanish I found some audio CDs of people having converstations from different countries. Mexico, Cuba, Chile, Argentina, Peru, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Bolivia and Colombia. There was this one converstation between two Colombian brothers. It was one of my favorites. I listened to that conversatation over and over again over 1,000 times. I got where I could imitate their accent perfectly. Then I met a guy from Colombia. He said I spoke just like the people from Colombia. Also I could imitate the accents of all the other countries just by listening to that CD over and over. One time I went to a Mexican party and right before I went I listened the converstations between Mexicans. At the party the Mexican people said I sounded like somebody from Mexico City.

When I went to school in Mexico in Guanajuato my favorite Mexican teacher was from another Mexican state but he had lived in Guanajuato for 9 years. He spoke with a mixture of his home state and the state of Guanajuato. I recorded his lectures and could imitate his voice perfectly.
Also I had lived in Guadalajara and Michoacan. Once a Mexican guy told me that he was trying to figure out from what part of Mexico I was from because my accent was a mixture of all of the accents I had been around. But he actually thought I was Mexican. One time I was speaking Italian to guy from Italy. I just imitated an accent from southern Italy I had heard and he said that I sounded like somebody from a place in southern Italy.

So accents can be learned like anything else. I'm from California and I have my California accent. My mother and realatives are from Arkansas and when I go to Arkansas I speak with a southern accent which is very different from how we speak in California.

Another interesting part to this story is my wife is Cuban. I can also speak with a Cuban accent.
My wife however went to a Mexican school for 5 years and watches Mexican novelas so she
can speak with a Mexican accent. People are always saying she doesn't sound Cuban.
The other reason for that is that she is from a different part of Cuba that has a very
different accent from the Cuban accent of La Habana the capital of Cuba. Yes, even in
Cuba the accents are different depending in what part of Cuba one comes from.

Last edited by Villa; September 04, 2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old September 04, 2013, 11:49 AM
Opal

So you're basically saying I should listen to and watch Mexican media to get exposure to a Mexican accent, but I should probably copy my teacher's accent for now since I'm going to pick it up to some degree anyway? That's sort of what I thought.

EDIT: Also, what exactly would you say are the hallmarks of a Peninsular accent Vs. Mexican besides the ceceo? My impression thus far is that it sounds a lot less staccato and more fluid, and the d sound is less sharp. That's based mainly on comparing some Spanish-language songs I've been listening to though, so I don't know if it's just a difference in singing style.

Last edited by Zarnium; September 04, 2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old September 04, 2013, 12:01 PM
Emerald

Quote:
So you're basically saying I should listen to and watch Mexican media to get exposure to a Mexican accent, but I should probably copy my teacher's accent for now since I'm going to pick it up to some degree anyway? That's sort of what I thought.
You got it. Actually yo penso/I think that it is better to learn Spanish from somebody that has a marked accent than from somebody who doesn't. What you want to avoid is speaking with an American English accent. Learning from somebody that has a very marked accent will help you loose your English language accent. Does that make sense?

Remember that Spanish is spoken in the front of the mouth while English is spoken in the back of the mouth. This will make more sense to you as time goes on and you learn more Spanish. This is true of the Italian language also. Learn the Spanish vowels and you will have the Italian vowels which are exactly the same as the Spanish vowels. So if in the future you were to learn Italian you would already have the Italian vowels down plus the idea of Italian being spoken in the front of the mouth like Spanish is. Finding out that Spanish and Italian are spoken in the front of the mouth and English in the back of the mouth was a real revelation for me and helped me so much in my speaking of Spanish and Italian and in teaching the two languages.

Last edited by Villa; September 04, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old September 04, 2013, 12:08 PM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
You got it. Actually yo penso/I think that it is better to learn Spanish from somebody that has a marked accent than from somebody who doesn't. What you want to avoid is speaking with an American English accent. Learning from somebody that has a very marked accent will help you loose your English language accent. Does that make sense?
Yup. I already had the same thought.
Old September 04, 2013, 12:32 PM
Emerald

Quote:
Yup. I already had the same thought.
Sounds like you're going to do just fine Zarnium. Learning the Spanish language is an adventure. It opens us up to another exciting different world. Whatever you do don't stop learning the Spanish language.

I have something for you to help your Spanish accent but I don't know if I should give it to you here or start a new thread so everybody gets it.
¿Qué dices? What do you think? I could also send it to you in a private message también/also.
Old September 04, 2013, 12:36 PM
Opal

I'm not entirely sure what you mean? Is there some reason why you'd only want me to see it?
Old September 04, 2013, 12:37 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Zarnium: If you are just starting, speak just the way your teachers do. Over time, when you can identify regional varieties, you can choose the one you like the most, or the one you are most familiar with.
Old September 04, 2013, 12:47 PM
Emerald

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean? Is there some reason why you'd only want me to see it?
I just sent it to you. I'll do a post on it so everybody gets it.
It's a little song/poem that most native speakers know and
helps non-Spanish speakers with their Spanish accent and to
loose their English accent.

Quote:

EDIT: Also, what exactly would you say are the hallmarks of a Peninsular accent Vs. Mexican besides the ceceo? My impression thus far is that it sounds a lot less staccato and more fluid, and the d sound is less sharp. That's based mainly on comparing some Spanish-language songs I've been listening to though, so I don't know if it's just a difference in singing style.
This is very interesting question and something we have been talking about in the last few days on the forum especially with a new member we have on the forum that is from Sevilla, Spain and says he does not speak with the ceceo/lisp. He just yesterday said that most Spanish speakers in Spain don't speak with the ceceo which was news to me. I told him I was watching a movie from Spain and he said be careful because Spanish movies use the ceceo. I thought that was funny. There is rivary in every Spanish speaking country. Even in the little country of Cuba there is a big rival between speakers from different parts of the country/island.

But to answer your question it's mostly about the choice of different words and idiomas. I have a book on this and will consult it. Just for example I remember reading in this book that in Mexico they use the verb comenzar/to start more than the word empezar/to start and in Spain they use empezar. This is only one example. In Mexico they clearly have and use the word empezar but comenzar seems to be heard the most. When I watch movies from Spain I can identify with many of their expressions because they are the same ones my Cuban wife uses. Also the profanity from Spain is similar to the profanity words of Cuba. Mexico uses different profanity words. For another example in Spain and Cuba they use the word m*erda a lot(excriment) which is clearly understood in Mexico but not used so much. This is all very interesante and we will continue this conversation. Oh, I have some French friends and they also use that word. It's kind of a European thing I guess plus we use it a lot in American English. Oh s**t!

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; September 04, 2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts
Old September 04, 2013, 02:19 PM
Opal

I got your messages, thanks.

I find it strange how many different accents there are in other countries in such a relatively small geographical area; compare, say, England to the American midwest. They're a roughly equal area, but the midwest doesn't have much accent variation, while English accents can change significantly just because of what side of a single city you're from. So I'm told, anyway.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: