Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

A long list of words

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old March 03, 2010, 12:00 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Besides, it should be new, else why the exercise?
Because I have to see a word at least 10 times before I remember it.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 03, 2010, 12:20 PM
Diamond

bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Because I have to see a word at least 10 times before I remember it.
Yo creo que si las escribes en papel la mente puede recordar y detener (retain) ellas mejor.

---
If writing the word in a sentence while defining it at the same time on paper with pencil the mind has 3 references to associate the word to.

1. the hand movements of actually writing the word, will help with remembing how to spell the words (one doesn´t achieve this by typing it)

2. The use of the word and it´s placement in the sentence. You will be able to recall the word in the sentence and be able to better remember it´s placement / use

3. The basic definition that you have weaved into the sentence wil of course aid in the rememberance of the meaning of the word

Anyway I don´t know anything about nuerological pathways associated with learning and retaining vocabulary but this is what I´ve found out from trying different methods

As everyoneknows the fourth and best reference that the brain can have to recall a word is attaching some sort of personal experience / situation to it, that´s why it´s so effective to be emerged in a language. You can practice definitions and sentences all day but the truth is that if you use a word wrong and someone laughs, you´re going to use that word correctly from now on because you´re going to think about that situation everytime you use the word .

Espero que os lo haya explicado bien y te resulte en mucho aprendizaje
Old March 03, 2010, 12:31 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I like the idea of the database. And writing... I never write, I always type!

But maybe you're right, Bob.
Old March 03, 2010, 12:54 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
Yo creo que si las escribes en papel la mente puede recordar y retener (retain) ellas mejor.

---
If writing the word in a sentence while defining it at the same time on paper with pencil the mind has 3 references to associate the word to.

1. the hand movements of actually writing the word, will help with remembing how to spell the words (one doesn´t achieve this by typing it)

I call it wrist memory.

2. The use of the word and it´s placement in the sentence. You will be able to recall the word in the sentence and be able to better remember it´s placement / use

3. The basic definition that you have weaved into the sentence wil of course aid in the rememberance of the meaning of the word

Anyway I don´t know anything about nuerological pathways associated with learning and retaining vocabulary but this is what I´ve found out from trying different methods

As everyoneknows the fourth and best reference that the brain can have to recall a word is attaching some sort of personal experience / situation to it, that´s why it´s so effective to be emerged in a language. You can practice definitions and sentences all day but the truth is that if you use a word wrong and someone laughs, you´re going to use that word correctly from now on because you´re going to think about that situation everytime you use the word .

Espero que os lo haya explicado bien y te resulte en mucho aprendizaje
Seeing (reading) and the wrist (writing) go together in this.
Old March 03, 2010, 01:04 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Seeing (reading) and the wrist (writing) go together in this.
Then, do you agree with Bob? Don't you think that it's the same typing?
Old March 03, 2010, 01:14 PM
Diamond

Me has causado a recordar un dicho

Muscle memory

Quote:
Muscle Memory Applied to Writing
So what does that have to do with writing? Same thing. Writers practice, practice, practice. They get faster. They improve in word usage. They make their words flow better. They bump up word count to where thousands of words won’t faze them. Christina Katz points out the importance of repetition to develop muscle memory.
We use many of the same words in our writing, sometimes forgetting wonderful words that could turn a sentence into a lyrical one. So encourage yourself to review a handful of words every week by coming up with a weekly goal that won’t overwhelm you to the point that you paralyze yourself and stop trying.
But should we write until our eyes and fingers blister or sleep calls? Iain Broome says no. I agree with his statement: “Whichever side of the fence you sit, I think it’s really important to stop and question even the most common pieces of writing advice from time to time.”
Besides, if you write without purpose — you’re not likely to put out valuable content or truly exercise your muscle memory. It’s akin to leaning on your stair climber — you won’t benefit from the exercise when you do that.
Un poco interesante
Old March 03, 2010, 01:21 PM
Diamond

Un poco no, muy interesante.
Old March 03, 2010, 01:28 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Un poco no, muy interesante.
aquí puedes leerlo

http://www.meryl.net/2009/10/20/how-...fects-writing/
Old March 03, 2010, 01:41 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
Thanks.

That reminds me the words a psychologist told us once in a course I did: to get an habit you must repeat something consciously 30 or 35 times.
Old March 03, 2010, 04:33 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Then, do you agree with Bob? Don't you think that it's the same typing?
Of course, I've been saying this all along.

Quote:
Thanks.

That reminds me the words a psychologist told us once in a course I did: to get an habit you must repeat something consciously 30 or 35 times.
Well, how about doctors advising to chew 30 to 40 times... to get your body to digest well the food, not only to chew well the food but adjust the gastric juices etc...

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: