Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

Having a banana tree

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old June 30, 2009, 08:06 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Hindi,Tamil and English
raji is on a distinguished road
Having a banana tree

¿Cómo de decir este frase en español?

"having a banana tree in the backyard is considered very important as it's need arises everyday."

teniendo un árbol del platano en patio muy importante porque su neceisad sugre cada día.
Is teniendo correct??

Saludos,
Raji

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 30, 2009, 08:47 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
Nico is on a distinguished road
Refer to Rusty's explanation of this specific case following this link: http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthrea...light=gerundio

I can't really say much more than what was already explained by Rusty; it covered the difference well.
Old June 30, 2009, 10:31 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Raji,

I hope you learned, by reading the other post Nico pointed out (Thanks, Nico), that you should begin your sentence with tener (the Spanish gerund/infinitive), which would translate to the English gerund having.

There are many different words for a banana tree used throughout the Spanish-speaking world. The correct word to use will very much depend on your audience.
First off, the tree isn't really a tree. It's a tall and sturdy, perennial herbaceous plant. The bunch that grows at the end of the plant's psuedostem contains clusters (hands) of the fruit (fingers) we eat.

I lived in four different countries of Central America, and had to learn three different words for the fruit itself (not one of which was plátano, which is another species). The banana plant was called a banano in all four of the countries. In the U.S., we eat the fleshy part of the fruit raw, and discard the peel. This is not always the case elsewhere.

I don't quite understand the sentence you want translated. I know that parts of the plant can be used for varied purposes while you're waiting for the fruit we love to eat here in the U.S., but I don't know enough to suppose that someone would "need" a banana plant each day. Other than waiting for the cultivation of the fruit, what other needs does the plant provide daily?

A banana plant grows one stalk (pseudostem) with a bunch of bananas on its end. After cultivating the fruit, you cut down the pseudostem and allow a sucker to shoot up in its stead. Then you have to wait several months before you can obtain more fruit. Perhaps having several banana plants in your backyard would fit the bill of "its need arising each day," but I'm not sure what you meant.

Anyway, here is one way to translate your sentence:
Tener un banano en el patio se considera/se piensa muy importante por necesitarlo cada día más.
Old June 30, 2009, 10:32 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by raji View Post
¿Cómo de decir este frase en español?

"having a banana tree in the backyard is considered very important as it's need arises everyday."

teniendo un árbol del platano en patio muy importante porque su neceisad sugre cada día.
Is teniendo correct??

Saludos,
Raji
This is my attempt.

I'm going to translate your post the best possible.

Teniendo un arból de platanos en el patio trasero es considerado muy importante y como eso necesita surgir todos los dias.

I hope this can help you.
Old July 03, 2009, 07:42 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Hindi,Tamil and English
raji is on a distinguished road
Thanks Nico, I read the link that you gave.

I should correct my sentence -it's not having "one" banana tree but having "many" banana trees in the backyard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
This is my attempt.

I'm going to translate your post the best possible.

Teniendo un arból de platanos en el patio trasero es considerado muy importante y como eso necesita surgir todos los dias.

I hope this can help you.
Old July 03, 2009, 08:35 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Se considera muy importante el tener un árbol de plátano (en el patio|atrás de la casa|afuera de la casa) ya que se ocupan (los plátanos) todos los días.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: