Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

"Llamame un tonto"

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old November 17, 2013, 05:03 PM
Opal

jemenake is on a distinguished road
"Llamame un tonto"

So, I was wondering, English has a humorous ambiguity in the phrase "call me a ...", as it can mean that I want you to call one of those things for me, but it can also mean that I want you to consider me to be one of those things, in a way.

For example, if I say "call me a fool", it can mean that I want you to find a fool's phone number and call them for me, but it could also mean that I want you to respond with "okay... you're a fool!".

In Spanish, I'm a little intrigued by this, as we do use llamar to indicate how we are addressed, "¿cómo se llama?", but we also use it to refer to requesting something for someone else. For example, if I say "llamame un abogado", it means that I want you to call a lawyer for me, correct?

So, if were to say "llamame un tonto", which meaning does it have, and what would I change about the phrase to make it mean the other thing?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 17, 2013, 05:12 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemenake View Post
For example, if I say "llámame a un abogado", it means that I want you to call a lawyer for me, correct? (notice the addition of the personal 'a', needed when the direct object is a person)

So, if were to say "llámame un tonto", which meaning does it have, and what would I change about the phrase to make it mean the other thing?
The last request you wrote means "call me a fool," and could go on to say "for thinking that."
The first request has an important change. If you want to have someone call someone who they think is a fool, for you, you would add the personal 'a'.
Old November 18, 2013, 01:36 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
I agree with Rusty.
I would just like to add that in Spanish there would be no ambiguity because we'd use two different constructions:

- Llámame tonto (no article)
Say that I am a fool.

- Llámame a un tonto (with the personal "a" Rusty talked about)
Call a fool for me.
Old November 18, 2013, 01:45 PM
Opal

iCurvaceous is on a distinguished road
Ohh that is interesting. I didn't know this. Thanks!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: