Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Other Languages > Other Languages

The Filipino Language

Being the language lovers that we are... A place to talk about, or write in languages other than Spanish and English.

Old November 10, 2010, 03:31 PM
Opal

joijoi is on a distinguished road
Talking The Filipino Language

The Filipino language or also known as Tagalog has actually a lot of foreign words. This is because we were conquered by other countries in the past centuries. The Spaniards colonized the Philippines for 333 years, the longest in our history. Can you imagine that?! Other countries that ruled us are Britain, America and Japan. Also the continuous trade with other countries in the world has influenced not only our language but also our culture.

We actually use these "borrowed" words in our daily lives. Most have retained their spelling, sounding, and original definition but there are also some changes in spelling and pronunciation (that is to make it look like a real Filipino word, well, at least) .

Here are few examples of borrowed words:

mesa (table) - Spanish(mesa)
basketbol (basketball) - English(basketball)
anak (child) - Malay(anak)
alak (wine) - Sanskrit(arak)
atsara(pickles) - Hindi(achara)
toyo(soy sauce) - Chinese(tao-iu)
kaban(sack of rice) - Japanese(kaban)
tokayo(namesake) - Aztec Mexican(toca-yo)
kudeta(coup d'etat) - French(coup d'etat)
ispageti(spaghetti) - Italian(spaghetti)

Filipino, which is the formal name of Tagalog, is the national language in the Philippines. It is centered around Metro Manila but is known almost universally throughout the country. There are 13 indigenous languages with at least one million native speakers: Tagalog, Cebuano, Ilokano, Hiligaynon, Waray-Waray, Kapampangan, Bikol, Albay Bikol, Pangasinan, Maranao, Maguindanao, Kinaray-a, and Tausug. One or more of these is spoken natively by more than 90% of the population. Our national language is really a help for us to understand each other in our country.

And oh, by the way, Filipinos also speak good English.

Old November 11, 2010, 12:41 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Kumusta 'ka, joijoi?

"Tocayo" es a noun used in Spain before going to America, so it comes from Latin, from a wedding ritual (ubi tu Caius, ibi ego Caia, whenever 'you are called' Cayo, I 'will be called' Caya).
Old November 11, 2010, 03:26 AM
Ruby

emilwest is on a distinguished road
I know a famous person from the Filipines: Manny Pacquiao. He's the pound-for-pound best boxer in the world and one of my favourite fighters. Every filipino knows him I believe. filipino is a nice language.
Old November 13, 2010, 04:40 PM
Emerald

Native Language: Bicol/Tagalog; English = second language
vita32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilwest View Post
I know a famous person from the Filipines: Manny Pacquiao. He's the pound-for-pound best boxer in the world and one of my favourite fighters. Every filipino knows him I believe. filipino is a nice language.
I've heard that he is a good boxer. I hope he is a good role model for young Filipinos.

All corrections are appreciated.
Old November 16, 2010, 11:17 PM
Opal

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilwest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vita32 View Post
I've heard that he is a good boxer. I hope he is a good role model for young Filipinos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Kumusta 'ka, joijoi?

"Tocayo" es a noun used in Spain before going to America, so it comes from Latin, from a wedding ritual (ubi tu Caius, ibi ego Caia, whenever 'you are called' Cayo, I 'will be called' Caya).

Irmamar, mabuti naman ako. Eh ikaw? (I'm fine. And you?) Is it like when you are called Juan, I am called Juana?

Emilwest/Vita32, Manny Pacquiao is really a very good boxer. He just won the fight w/ Antonio Margarito on Nov. 13. I can also say that he's a model in some ways.

Emilwest, have you watched the fight last Saturday?
Old November 17, 2010, 12:47 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joijoi View Post
Irmamar, mabuti naman ako. Eh ikaw? (I'm fine. And you?) Is it like when you are called Juan, I am called Juana?

Emilwest/Vita32, Manny Pacquiao is really a very good boxer. He just won the fight w/ Antonio Margarito on Nov. 13. I can also say that he's a model in some ways.

Emilwest, have you watched the fight last Saturday?
Mabuti naman, "too".

Yes, more or less, so it is.
Old November 17, 2010, 10:48 PM
Opal

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Mabuti naman, "too".

Yes, more or less, so it is.
Mabuti rin naman.

Ako ay masaya. I am happy. Estoy feliz. Esta correcta? (Is this correct?)

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: