Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

Vaya usted temprano para que le rinda el trabajo

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old October 13, 2015, 11:42 AM
Pearl

Native Language: English
mwtzzz is on a distinguished road
Vaya usted temprano para que le rinda el trabajo

The verb rendir has different meanings depending on context. What would be the best translation of the following. The context is that a person needs to go to work on their free day, and another person tells them:
"Vaya usted temprano para que le rinda el trabajo".

First question: in this sentence is "trajabo" a subject or object?
Second question: how to translate it?

(a) Go early so that the work gives you up
(b) Go early so that you have something to show for your work
(c) <neither of the above, something else >

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old October 13, 2015, 01:21 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
"Trabajo" is the subject.

I think a possible translation could be something like: "Arrive early, so work will be fruitful".
The idea is that you arrive early for work, so you can make the best of the working hours; so the extra effort will yield the best results.
Old October 13, 2015, 01:43 PM
Pearl

Ok, so it's not about finishing the work quickly, but being fruitful about it. The thing that was throwing me off was that rendir sometimes means give or give up. So I wasn't sure if it meant "go early so that you can leave early", that the work will "give you up" quickly.

So is it true we can write this as "El trajabo le rinda a usted" ?

Last edited by mwtzzz; October 13, 2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old October 13, 2015, 06:02 PM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
No el trabajo le rinde sounds incomplete like work will render you. It means the early bird gets the worm. Go early when the pickings are better.
Old October 14, 2015, 09:22 AM
Obsidiana

Hmm... "Rendir" can be a tricky verb indeed.

In your original example, "rendir" can mean to be or make productive, which is a common use in colloquial speech:

- No sé cómo, pero mi mamá siempre hace rendir el dinero. -> My mum always does big things with little money.
- Antes, el aceite de cocina rendía más. -> In former times, you could cook more with less oil.
- Necesito ponerme a dieta para que me rinda el ejercicio y pueda bajar de peso más rápido. -> If I start a diet, the effort of exercising will be more fruitful for losing weight.

"Rendir(se)" in the sense of to surrender or to quit is the most common use of the verb:

- La ciudad se rindió después del bombardeo.
The city surrendered after the bombing.
- Los soldados rindieron las armas al enemigo.
The soldiers surrendered their guns.
- Me rindo. No puedo seguir discutiendo contigo.
I give up. I can't keep on arguing with you.
- No te rindas; tienes que seguir en la competencia.
Don't give up, you have to stay in the competition.

"Rendir" can also be used to talk about being too tired because of something or someone:

- Los niños me dejaron rendida. -> I'm exhausted for having been dealing with the children.
- Juan se quedó dormido; lo rindió el trabajo en la fábrica. -> Juan is exhausted after the tough working day at the factory and he fell asleep.
- Estoy rendido; tuve muchas cosas que hacer hoy. -> I was so busy the whole day, that I'm exhausted.

So, about your question:

- Vaya temprano para que el trabajo le rinda a usted. -> The new word order still means the same: the purpose of leaving early for work is that you'll get the best of the effort. (Note the indirect object pronoun.)

- Vaya temprano para que el trabajo lo/la rinda a usted. -> This would be some kind of evil wish that you will be exhausted by work. (Note the change for direct object pronoun.)

But if I understand, your idea is to express that you arrive early to leave early, and you also want the work to be the subject; but this idea can't be well expressed with the same verb.

You could say: "Vaya temprano para que el trabajo se le rinda (a usted)" (here it's the pronominal "rendirse"), the sentence is saying that the work will surrender to you... a slightly strange image, but it may be understood that you would find no difficulty when doing your job.

Some other ways to say that you should go to work early to leave early:

- Váyase temprano para que acabe/termine/salga temprano.
- Llegue temprano para que tenga más tiempo libre cuando salga.
- Empiece temprano para que se pueda ir antes.

If work should be the subject of the sentence, maybe you could say something like: "Vaya temprano para que el trabajo lo saque/eche/despache/bote* temprano"; this would mean that your work would "dismiss" you for the day.
*The verb "botar" is too colloquial here.

I hope you'll find this useful.
Old October 16, 2015, 05:44 PM
Pearl

Quote:
- No sé cómo, pero mi mamá siempre hace rendir el dinero. -> My mum always does big things with little money.
Okay, now I understand. The proper translation for this in English is "to make it go further". "My mom always makes a little money go further."
Old October 16, 2015, 06:12 PM
Obsidiana

Fantastic, thank you. I rarely know how to translate sentences.
Old October 16, 2015, 09:08 PM
Ruby

Native Language: American English
Hiperbólico is on a distinguished road
So I have the impression that one sense of rendir is "to utilize; make the most of; be fruitful or productive with". Or instead, maybe it's more accurate to say "to make fruitful; cause to be useful or profitable", since the emphasis appears to be on the object more than the agent.

DLE seems to contain a corresponding entry: «tr. dicho de una persona o de una cosa: dar fruto o utilidad». Likewise with ElMundo: «dar producto o utilidad una persona o cosa».

Am I basically correct in this conclusion? If so, how would this definition compare to a verb like aprovechar?
Old October 17, 2015, 03:37 PM
Obsidiana

Both ideas fit with "rendir" when the definition is "dar fruto o utilidad": either the thing is fruitful or you make most of it.

- Esta inversion rinde buenos intereses. -> I receive a lot of money from a certain investment.
- El trabajo (me) rinde más si duermo bien. -> When I get enough sleep, my results at work are better.
- Mi salario rinde para mantener a mi familia. -> The amount of money I earn is enough to feed my family.
- Para que te rinda la sopa, puedes ponerle más verduras. -> If you want to have more soup, you can add more vegetables... (it will gain volume and maybe no one will ask for a second plate).
- Este detergente no rinde. -> You have to use much detergent and it runs out fast.
- Necesito hacer rendir los minutos que me quedan antes de entregar este informe. -> It is late and I need to hurry up to finish my report on time.

I'm not sure "rendir" and "aprovechar" can be compared. "Aprovechar" does not refer to the thing giving something to you, but you are taking advantage of it:

- Aprovecha la luz de día para coser, así no se te cansan los ojos. -> You take advantage of daylight, but since daylight can't be fruitful by itself, you can't use "rendir" for a sentence here.
- Quiero aprovechar que es temprano para terminar temprano el trabajo. -> I want to advantage of the hour, not the work, so I can't make the time of the clock "rendir".
- Juan está aprovechando que tiene trabajo para arreglar su casa. -> Juan is taking advantage of having a job which allows him to improve his home.

I hope it's clearer now.
Old October 19, 2015, 06:37 PM
Pearl

I was talking with my wife about it. She says in Colombia a common use of it is, for example when someone gets their paycheck they will say "me tiene que rendir para la semana". In English, this translates to: "it has to last me the week", meaning that the money needs to last them until the next paycheck. In this case it's basically synonymous with "alcanzar".

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: