Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

El modo subjuntivo

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old January 12, 2010, 11:16 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicadeJeep View Post
I find myself becoming frantic and impatient as I feel that I am not as far along as I should be. This is my second course and I should be comfortable having a conversation where I can discuss anything from family to work
But what are you measuring yourself against? I honestly think you are doing yourself an injustice. Nobody would be expected to 'feel comfortable' after studying so short a time - I expect you to be sweating and exhausted. I guess you are at a stage where you know what to say, but by the time you have worked it out, the moment has passed and the conversation has moved on leaving you feeling inadequate. Am I near?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 13, 2010, 08:45 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
ChicadeJeep is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
That's why you should do what I am telling you. Besides of what you are already doing.
Thank you chileno! I most definitely will take your advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
But what are you measuring yourself against? I honestly think you are doing yourself an injustice. Nobody would be expected to 'feel comfortable' after studying so short a time - I expect you to be sweating and exhausted. I guess you are at a stage where you know what to say, but by the time you have worked it out, the moment has passed and the conversation has moved on leaving you feeling inadequate. Am I near?
Yes! Absolutely! My husband keeps asking me to say stuff in Spanish and I know what I should be saying but just can't figure it out. I forget words. I forget simple words! My course work is what is saying I should be at that point. But I have only been honestly studying (via a course) for 5.5 months now. Is that a time frame that a person should be comfortable with all this new learning?

Last edited by ChicadeJeep; January 13, 2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: so I didn't have back to back posts
Old January 13, 2010, 10:15 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thank you chileno! I most definitely will take your advise.

Yes! Absolutely! My husband keeps asking me to say stuff in Spanish and I know what I should be saying but just can't figure it out. I forget words. I forget simple words! My course work is what is saying I should be at that point. But I have only been honestly studying (via a course) for 5.5 months now. Is that a time frame that a person should be comfortable with all this new learning?
Yes and no, really!

It depends on the practice, not only the amount of it but the type.

Transcribe a novel and at the end you will definitely will notice the difference, even if you do it in a month or less. But you have to dedicate your time to it.
Old January 14, 2010, 03:05 AM
Diamond

Quote:
But I have only been honestly studying (via a course) for 5.5 months now. Is that a time frame that a person should be comfortable with all this new learning?
I would say not - I would be very jealous of somebody who could claim that. I have been studying languages on and off for decades, and it takes me (literally) years before feeling 'comfortable'.

Edit: It also depends hugely on what level of competence makes you comfortable. A self-critical person has a hard life here.

Last edited by Perikles; January 14, 2010 at 03:07 AM.
Old January 14, 2010, 10:43 AM
Diamond

Quote:
I would say not - I would be very jealous of somebody who could claim that. I have been studying languages on and off for decades, and it takes me (literally) years before feeling 'comfortable'.

Edit: It also depends hugely on what level of competence makes you comfortable. A self-critical person has a hard life here.
Take in account all she is saying is that she cannot make even small statements to tell her husband because she gets all knotted up.
Old January 14, 2010, 12:19 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Take in account all she is saying is that she cannot make even small statements to tell her husband because she gets all knotted up.
.. I get the point. However, this may, or may not, involve the dynamics of a relationship. Dangerous territory.
Old January 14, 2010, 05:45 PM
Diamond

Quote:
.. I get the point. However, this may, or may not, involve the dynamics of a relationship. Dangerous territory.
Bruto!
Old January 15, 2010, 12:30 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
ChicadeJeep is on a distinguished road
Haha! You guys are funny.

No - saying simple things to my husband such as "would you like a glass of milk?" Etc.

You two make me laugh!!
I am a very self-critical person which does make it harder I imagine/suppose/guess.

I found the local library the other day and will be going to find a Spanish novel to transcribe as soon as I can! Perhaps they have movies as well.
Old January 15, 2010, 01:39 PM
Diamond

Quote:
I am a very self-critical person which does make it harder I imagine/suppose/guess. .
Good - this means that you have a better chance of finishing up speaking excellent Spanish.

Quote:
I found the local library the other day and will be going to find a Spanish novel to transcribe as soon as I can! Perhaps they have movies as well.
This is a very good idea, but please be careful in your choice of book. Some are very heavy going, for example Gabriel García Márquez. If you see a book by Tracey Chevalier (especailly the Girl with the Pearl Earring) translated from English, try one of those to begin with - very nice but simple style.
Old January 15, 2010, 11:06 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Good - this means that you have a better chance of finishing up speaking excellent Spanish.

This is a very good idea, but please be careful in your choice of book. Some are very heavy going, for example Gabriel García Márquez. If you see a book by Tracey Chevalier (especailly the Girl with the Pearl Earring) translated from English, try one of those to begin with - very nice but simple style.
Remember that the proficiency in his/her own language plays a role too. So recommending book just like that, to your liking, it does not mean much, other than making it worse for the learner, could be way above her/his head or so easy that leave her/him wondering... in either case the person might end quitting the learning of a new language for "later" which translate to never again.

Last edited by chileno; January 16, 2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: adding after "learner"

Tags
subjunctive

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: