Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Re-learning Spanish

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old December 01, 2015, 08:03 PM
Opal

Gcortes is on a distinguished road
Re-learning Spanish

Hi,

This my first post. I took three college semesters of Spanish quite some time ago and would like to re-learn the language. I was never fluent, just well versed in grammar and vocabulary. I can read the newspaper, El Pais, with lots of word look ups. I find it a chore because sentences go on for ever. I've had more luck with a Spanish Twtter feed as you can't say a lot in 140 characters. I also tried the app Duolingo, but I know most of the material and need to be spoon fed grammar. I do like it for French as I've never taken any classes.

Are there any learning aids for advance learners? My main goal is to be able to read Spanish. I have a few opportunities to speak it, but not enough to gain fluency. I think I just need to get my vocabulary back.

Last edited by Gcortes; December 01, 2015 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Spelling

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 01, 2015, 08:20 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to the forums!

It's been said a number of times that reading a novel in Spanish and transcribing it into English will help.
Old December 08, 2015, 11:15 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English
Aprendo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcortes View Post
Hi,

This my first post. I took three college semesters of Spanish quite some time ago and would like to re-learn the language. I was never fluent, just well versed in grammar and vocabulary. I can read the newspaper, El Pais, with lots of word look ups. I find it a chore because sentences go on for ever. I've had more luck with a Spanish Twtter feed as you can't say a lot in 140 characters. I also tried the app Duolingo, but I know most of the material and need to be spoon fed grammar. I do like it for French as I've never taken any classes.

Are there any learning aids for advance learners? My main goal is to be able to read Spanish. I have a few opportunities to speak it, but not enough to gain fluency. I think I just need to get my vocabulary back.
Welcome,

I think "re-learning" is actually (what linguists call) "retrieval."

Or perhaps "re-learning" is that you mean, "learning again."

I started studying after years of no-study and Krashen Free Voluntary Reading FVR helped me improve my reading comprehension.

You read in Spanish for pleasure about topics you like.

Krashen says not to look up new words, but actually write down 1 new work per day. I read newspapers (which you stated you do).

But, this is only for reading skill....I'm lacking in the others.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: