Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

Perception of Castillan/"Spain" Spanish by Latin Americans?

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old June 17, 2009, 01:45 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English/Ingles
satchrocks is on a distinguished road
Perception of Castillan/"Spain" Spanish by Latin Americans?

I've often wondered how "Spain" Spanish (as I like to call it) is perceived by Latin Americans. It seems that, similar to "English" English and "American" English, a different accent has developed in addition to different phrases (the oft-cited dropping of "vosotros" being a noticable difference between the European and Latin American languages, although there are definitely other things that are probably more noticable).

Since these languages have developed allopatrically (in separate geographic areas), what is the Latin American perception of European Spanish?

Por ejemplo:
In the United States, an "English" accent is oftentimes associated with being proper (or, in some cases, even intelligent).

Last edited by satchrocks; June 18, 2009 at 07:45 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 17, 2009, 02:33 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchrocks View Post
I've often wondered how "Spain" Spanish (as I like to call it) is perceived by Latin Americans. It seems that, similar to "English" English and "American" English, a different accent has developed in addition to different phrases (the oft-cited dropping of "vosotros" being the a noticable difference between the European and Latin American languages, although there are definitely other things that are probably more noticable).

Since these languages have developed allopatrically (in separate geographic areas), what is the Latin American perception of European Spanish?

Por ejemplo:
In the United States, an "English" accent is oftentimes associated with being proper (or, in some cases, even intelligent).
Unless it's a low class British accent. Cockney for example--that's not
quite proper.
I think your question is a good one. I am not Latino but I know
quite of few Latinos many of whom are baffled by Spanish for Spain. I traveled to Spain. In a restaurant I had gone to, two Latinas were having lunch speaking Englsih mixed with Spanish. They addressed
the non-English speaking waiter in English. The grandfatherly waiter knew them, and didn't seem to mind. Apparently they frequented the place more than once. It was a struggle, but there was something sweet about it--nevertheless I hope this type of thing doesn't happen often. I think they were afraid to use what they knew for fear that they wouldn't understand the repsonse. Personally, I had no problem communcating with the waiter.
I have been told that some movies from Spain are dubbed for the Latin Amerincan audience although I have never seen this personally. I have seen a documentary filmed in Cuba for the Spanish audience that had subtitiles, and to top it off the Spanish spoke was simple and clear.

Despite all this, I think there is a perception among Latin American that Spanish from Spain sounds high-tone much the way we perceive British English.
Old June 17, 2009, 05:19 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English (USA)
tacuba is on a distinguished road
I have a friend here who is was born in D.F. and she told me that she had a horrible time understanding spoken Spanish in certain regions of Spain.

But heck, I have trouble understanding people from certain areas of my own country. Mississippi and Louisiana come to mind. I also met a guy here from Scotland, and I have to concentrate very hard to follow along when he's speaking at a normal pace.

Old June 18, 2009, 04:47 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I agree, curious question. I've read that in Latin America Spanish accent is not liked, though I like it because is my own, of course

Here, several years ago, some American films and cartoons were dubbed into Spanish by Mexicans, so I think we are used to the Mexican accent.

In Spain we have no problems to understand, usually, people from Latin America. I think it's harder to understand the accent from some places in Andalucia, above all the places where "ceceo" is used instead of "seseo". In Latin America "seseo" is more usual than "ceceo", so it's easier to understand. Anyway I can see different ways of speaking in the same country. I've seen films dubbed by Mexicans with different accents, some of them are (how could I say in English?) more "cantarín", while others have a more neutral accent.
Old June 18, 2009, 06:22 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Hola, me enteresa este hilo

¿Cuales dialecto es más difícil entender?
Alguien me dijo que en Argentina se habla muy rápidamente

Pienso que hay muchos dialectos en España que son muy difícil entender
Old June 18, 2009, 06:36 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
When I heard south-american people,a t the beginning it reminds me of some "telenovelas", but after 3 minutes I forgot it and I only listen.

saludos
Old June 18, 2009, 07:16 AM
Opal

Arielle is on a distinguished road
I have never personally noticed a difference (except for the above noted "vosotros"), but now that all of these small twists have been pointed out, I bet I will be able to hear them!
Old June 18, 2009, 07:29 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielle View Post
I have never personally noticed a difference (except for the above noted "vosotros"), but now that all of these small twists have been pointed out, I bet I will be able to hear them!
Mis orejas no discernen la differencia entre los dialectos. Todos los hispanohablantes suenan muy parecidos/iguales. Espero comprender la palabra hablada (spoken word) muy pronto
Old June 18, 2009, 07:46 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Si sigue oyendo español podrás diferenciar accentos distintos. Muchos paises tienen accentos difinitivos. Puede ser divirtido distinguir accentos.
No soy ningún experto pero tuve éxito adivinando accentos.
Old June 23, 2009, 12:58 AM
Diamond

ROBINDESBOIS is on a distinguished road
Un hilo muy interesante. Hay acentos bastantes diferenciados, el español más puro en cuanto a acento yo diría que es el hablado en el norte de España, notése País Vasco, Navarra y Castilla y León, las demás regiones tienden a tener un ligero acento, pero no tan pronunciado como los catalo-parlantes y no todos, los gallego parlantes y no todos, y los andaluces y otras comunidades del sur como puede ser extremadura. Los acentos de Sur America son varios tambien, yo distingo muy bien el argentino, el mejicano, el colombiano y el ecuatoriano, los demás son similares. La mayor diferencia entre el castellano de España y el español americano es el distinto uso de ciertos vocablos, que a veces nos suenan a chino, pero en general se mantiene una vonversación perfectamente. Y dudo que se doblen las películas a no ser que se trate de un lenguaje de la calle o una jerga específica de un grupo de gente, que ni los oriundos del país lo entienden.

Tags
dialect, iberia, lisp, spain, spanish

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: