Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Other Languages > Other Languages

You missed the boat if you didn't learn Spanish if you're trying to learn Italian

Being the language lovers that we are... A place to talk about, or write in languages other than Spanish and English.

Closed Thread

Old October 19, 2009, 07:58 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBINDESBOIS View Post
VEry nice story, I love it. How do you translate into spanish the following :
That negativity can rub off on you
La negatividad se pega.
o
La negativididad es contagiosa.

Can you say : No quiero estar pringado por su negatividad

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old October 19, 2009, 11:37 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
@brute: El inglés no es el idioma más hablado del mundo. El chino mandarín ocupa el primer lugar, seguido del español y del inglés. Otras fuentes dicen que el Hindi precede al español.
I read where there are more actual native speakers of Spanish than there are native speakers of English. Sin embargo hay mas gente en el mundo que estudian y hablan inglés como secundo idioma.
Old October 20, 2009, 05:05 PM
Emerald

Native Language: British English
brute is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
@brute: El inglés no es el idioma más hablado del mundo. El chino mandarín ocupa el primer lugar, seguido del español y del inglés. Otras fuentes dicen que el Hindi precede al español.
Cierto ,eres correcto. Pero, he leido que hay mas personas en China que en EEUU que inglés hablan. Por desgracia, actualmente inglés es el idioma que domina el mundo de comercio y del ordinador.
Old October 25, 2009, 11:24 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I'm agree with you Brute, the majory of people worldwide speaks English, although there different idioms in the each country, for instance people native from England have different words than EEUU, furthermore I think that it's more for different kinds to English, but yes there are more people who speaks English than another language as second language.
Old October 26, 2009, 11:06 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
I'm agree with you Brute, the majory of people worldwide speaks English, although there different idioms in the each country, for instance people native from England have different words than EEUU, furthermore I think that it's more for different kinds to English, but yes there are more people who speaks English than another language as second language.
Spanish is second entonces. At least in the U.S. When you're in second place you try harder también.
Old August 09, 2010, 02:41 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
Gina is on a distinguished road
I've learned some Italian (before Spanish) and would love to return to it one day and learn it to a high level. I can see lots of similarities between the two languages; my basic knowledge of Italian helped with Spanish, and my knowledge of Spanish now means that I can understand more Italian now than I could when I stopped learning Italian.
Old August 09, 2010, 06:08 PM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Chris is on a distinguished road
I would think that Americans would be a little more eager to learn when in another country. After all we hear "Why don't the try to speak English? Why are we printing signs in Spanish? If we went to their country we would try to speak their language and they wouldn't print the signs in English." all the time. I got angry once at a Mexican restaurant. We went there for lunch. My coworker was ordering his food and giving all kinds of instructions to the girl and she wasn't understanding what he was saying. He started getting mad at her and I got angry at him. His attitude is "They come over here and take our jobs and they should at least learn English..." Well you could tell she was clearly trying to learn English. But... This guy is an idiot anyway. If I had known more Spanish I could have ordered for him. (Trying not to get too political but I don't think people should be allowed to illegally come to our country, but in a legal way I'm all for it. I know enough 2nd generation Mexican immigrants to know that it's rude to point them out because they can speak in a tongue other than English and have slightly darker skin. Also it's not my job to find illegals. I can't imagine how my friend Elsa must live if she is constantly asked if she's a citizen. I do imagine that my co worker would be angry if he was asked the same...)

Anyway I wanted to learn a second language. While researching Spanish was the one that I felt I could get the most use of. As I'm learning more and more about the language and about the people and countries that speak it I find more and more reason to keep studying it. Did you know that the largest non white ethnic group in the USA are of Spanish speaking decent? Or that the country that has the second largest Spanish speaking population is the USA? Yep, I think it will come in handy. Could have already been very handy if I would have gotten off my kester and learned it sooner.
Old August 09, 2010, 08:13 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Hello Chris.

I liked to much your commentary.
But I have some doubts about some words you have wrote in your last post.

For example you have wrote Coworker, I have understood that word could means Copiloto.

A person to side from you.

I don't know if I am well or at least I have the minimum knowledge about that word, but I like to learn that word.

Am I right?
Old August 09, 2010, 10:51 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Hola, Crotalito,
co-worker (AmE) (work mate) colega, compañero/-ra de trabajo;
(collaborator) colaborador, colaboradora

@Chris. Well, "nunca es tarde si la dicha es buena" (ie., it is never too late!)
Old August 10, 2010, 10:26 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
Now that I'am an italian citizen I think it will be a good idea to learn italian
Villa, do you know a good website to do so?

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: