Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary > Idioms & Sayings

"dar un beso"

An idiom is an expression whose meaning is not readily apparent based on the individual words in the expression. This forum is dedicated to discussing idioms and other sayings.

Old June 09, 2009, 11:36 AM
Ruby

Native Language: English
NiCACHiCA is on a distinguished road
"dar un beso"

I was just speaking with someone from Nicaragua and they asked a friend to "dar un beso" to another person whom their friend was going to visit (he doesn't like the person). It was used in a negative connotation; he was being mean. Can you help me with what it translates to in English?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 09, 2009, 11:54 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
People normally say "salúdame a Juan", "saluda a Juan de mi parte", to say "give him my regards". A more affectionate way to send one's regards is to say "dale un abrazo" or even more affectionate "dale un beso".

That's an ironic use of the expression, just the same as you would say "give my regards to (someone you definitely don't like)", rather to express you don't mean anything nice at all.
Old June 09, 2009, 01:42 PM
Ruby

He said it's a saying (un dicho) in Nicaragua. When I asked if that phrase was "malo", he said yes. I have no reasoning in thinking this, but my thoughts went more to an English equivalent of something like "kiss my butt" (to put it nicely). But, like I said, I have no reasoning for this. Any other ideas?
Old June 09, 2009, 01:59 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Unless it's a very regional idea or a private joke with friends, there isn't a standard bad meaning for that expression that I know.
Old June 09, 2009, 02:10 PM
Ruby

hmm...ok, thanks for your help. I'll ask him to explain it next time I talk to him.
Old June 09, 2009, 05:11 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCACHiCA View Post
I was just speaking with someone from Nicaragua and they asked a friend to "dar un beso" to another person whom their friend was going to visit (he doesn't like the person). It was used in a negative connotation; he was being mean. Can you help me with what it translates to in English?
Mainly the people in the chat room always used affective words in some examples they express their way to appreciate someone with one virtual kiss, if someone tells you. I send you one kiss it does not meaning that he wants to give you one kiss in your lip, but I believe that the way that each person uses the affective way is different depending the way as you have one relation to friend with the person, then if you turn to adquire to way to express one good bye is correct always that only it be as to say good bye.

I hope you can understand me.
Old June 10, 2009, 01:54 PM
Diamond

Elaina will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCACHiCA View Post

I think the person was just being sarcastic or facetious. People tend to do that.
Old June 10, 2009, 02:10 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaina View Post
I think the person was just being sarcastic or facetious. People tend to do that.
I believe that the person was being lovable.

Because normally when one person says in one chat room, I send you one kiss does not impolite and less sarcastic, but well, it's took depending of the person who decide if get the kiss or not
Old June 10, 2009, 02:12 PM
Diamond

Elaina will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
I believe that the person was being lovable.

Because normally when one person says in one chat room, I send you one kiss does not impolite and less sarcastic, but well, it's took depending of the person who decide if get the kiss or not

According to NiCACHICA, these people don't like each other that's why I think one was being sarcastic or facetious!
Old June 10, 2009, 02:47 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaina View Post
According to NiCACHICA, these people don't like each other that's why I think one was being sarcastic or facetious!
Then I don't know to me it's indifferent.

Tags
beso

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: