Old August 12, 2008, 07:06 AM
Pearl

ElDanés is on a distinguished road
Spanish movies and music

It's easy just to find a Spanish movie or music, but instead of I'm just finding something random on the Internet, I would rather ask you, what you think is good.

I believe it's a good way to learn a language (especially its pronunciation) through movies and music, even though I don't know Spanish very well yet. It will also give me a feeling of how Spanish is used in the real world.

I'm open to all kinds of music and movies. It would probably be good if the movie has lots of dialogues, but I don't require it, so suggest me whatever you have on your mind.

Thanks!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 12, 2008, 07:13 AM
Pearl

Oh, that's funny. I just realized, that my favorite artist has made songs in Spanish. Hitherto I had thought he only made songs in Portuguese and English, but also, Spanish! Great. The artist I'm talking about is Devendra Banhart if anyone's interested.

I'm still open for suggestions from you!
Old August 12, 2008, 07:22 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDanés View Post
It's easy just to find a Spanish movies or music, but instead of I'm just finding something random on the Internet, I would rather ask you, what you think is good.

I believe it's a good way to learn a language (especially its pronunciation), through movies and music, even though I don't know Spanish very well yet. It will also give me a feeling of how Spanish is used in the real world.

I'm open to all kinds of music and movies. It would probably be good if the movie has lots of dialogues, but I don't require it, so suggest me whatever you have on your mind.

Thanks!
Since you've asked, there are a couple of corrections above, mostly by way of polishing up what you wrote. Your English is quite good.

I love the clear pronunciation and music style that Gloria Estefan offers. Her Mi Tierra album is very nice. She is Cuban, so she has a Latin American accent, but that is what I learned.
Old August 12, 2008, 07:28 AM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
Oh, that's funny. I just realized, that my favorite artist has made songs in Spanish. Hitherto I had thought he only made songs in Portuguese and English, but also, Spanish! Great. The artist I'm talking about is Devendra Banhart if anyone's interested.

I'm still open for suggestions from you!
I've not heard of him. Thanks for sharing.

By the way, hitherto is a quaint (and antiquated) way to say before/until now/today or up till now.
Old August 12, 2008, 07:31 AM
Pearl

Thank you for the corrections, and I will look into Gloria Estefan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty
By the way, hitherto is a quaint (and antiquated) way to say before/until now/today or up till now.
Yes, I like archaic English word, and that's why I keep using them. I've noticed that not many people use them; is it considered a bad practice?
Old August 12, 2008, 07:36 AM
Pearl

One of his Spanish songs:

Old August 12, 2008, 07:51 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Rusty's suggestion is good. If you can obtain the lyrics to the songs. Read the lyrics and listen to to singer at the same time, it really helps. Listening to singers is a great way to learn to speak better. Ballads are always best for beginners. The boleros from the 1950's, though old-fashionsed can help, because they are often sung clearly and usually the words make sense.
Old August 12, 2008, 07:59 AM
Pearl

Thanks, poli. Can you mention any particular artist? It would make it easier for me to find it then.
Old August 12, 2008, 08:13 AM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
Thank you for the corrections ...

Yes, I like archaic English words, and that's why I keep using them. I've noticed that not many people use them; is it considered a bad practice?
No, it's not considered a bad practice. I'm very comfortable with the archaic words because I'm quite well versed in the 17th century English used in the KJV (King James Version of the Bible). However, most people in the US aren't familiar with those words (there are many who advocate the use of modern translations of the Bible and other great literary works). So, it's probably better to use the archaic words sparingly.
I only mentioned this to you in case you weren't aware that you were using quaint language.

(Hitherto doesn't appear to be as old as whence or wist. I would not try to use those on the unexpecting public. )
Old August 12, 2008, 08:24 AM
Señor Speedy

Here is Gloria Estefan's Ayer, with embedded lyrics! The recording is a bit garbled, but you'll get the idea.

The song you posted by Devendra Banhart is great. He doesn't pronounce the letter 's', so he must have learned his Spanish in the parts of Spain where they elide it as well. That is how the Nicaraguans speak, too. I learned most of my Spanish in Nicaragua, so I was able to follow him quite well.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: