Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

Mas poemas

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old January 20, 2019, 11:42 AM
Opal

Arkoiris is on a distinguished road
Mas poemas

Context:

When or where my youthful spirit
Found this sparkling isle of bliss,
Which the angels might inherit
(With no stint of happiness),
I 've no power to tell in numbers,
And slight knowledge where to place
That which, haunting all my slumbers,
No existence has in space!

[Cuándo o dónde mi espíritu juvenil va a encontrar esta resplandeciente isla del encanto, la cual los ángeles [.....] (sin escatimar felicidad), no tengo el poder para decirlo con números, y poco conocimiento de dónde colocar lo que, rondando todos mis ensueños ¡No tiene existencia espacial!]

In the fadeless realms of Fairy,—
In Imagination's clime,
Where the banners, silken, airy,
Float above the walls of time;
There this Poet's Isle may wander.
Like a planet lost at birth,
Till the enamored soul, grown fonder
Meets it midway from the Earth! - by Rebecca S. Nichols, 1851

[En los reinos inmarchitables del pais de las hadas, - En el entorno de la Imaginación, donde los estandartes, sedosos, etéreos, flotan por encima de los muros del tiempo; Hacia allí pudo haber deambulado esta Isla del Poeta. Como un planeta perdido al nacer, Hasta que el alma hechizada, , la encuentre a medio camino de la Tierra.]

Which the angels might inherit - no entiendo bien el significado de inherit
en este contexto - heredar no tiene mucho sentido.

Till the enamored soul, grown fonder - me gustaría saber como se puede traducir esta frase.

Gracias por su ayuda...

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 21, 2019, 11:33 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkoiris View Post
Context:
Which the angels might inherit - no entiendo bien el significado de inherit
en este contexto - heredar no tiene mucho sentido.

Till the enamored soul, grown fonder - me gustaría saber como se puede traducir esta frase.

Gracias por su ayuda...
Me pregunto ¿por qué los ángeles son los que puedan heredar la isla de felicidad? ¿Tal vez son los herederos de la isla porque es una manifestación del cielo?

En la otra frase, el significado literal de the enamored soul es ambiguo. Lo tradujiste a el alma hechizada: si la expresión original fuera o the enchanted soul o the bewitched soul, tu traducción sería perfecto, pero a mí el significado de enamored es más ambiguo y no tiene una connotación de hechizo tan fuerte como las otras palabras, así que el alma enamorado también sirve de traducción. En este caso grown fonder puede significar que el alma se ha enamorado más que antes y por eso se esfuerza a reunirse con lo de qué esta enamorado.

Last edited by wrholt; January 21, 2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old January 22, 2019, 06:38 PM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrholt View Post
Me pregunto ¿por qué los ángeles son los que puedan heredar la isla de felicidad? ¿Tal vez son los herederos de la isla porque es una manifestación del cielo?

En la otra frase, el significado literal de the enamored soul es ambiguo. Lo tradujiste a el alma hechizada: si la expresión original fuera o the enchanted soul o the bewitched soul, tu traducción sería perfecto, pero a mí el significado de enamored es más ambiguo y no tiene una connotación de hechizo tan fuerte como las otras palabras, así que el alma enamorado también sirve de traducción. En este caso grown fonder puede significar que el alma se ha enamorado más que antes y por eso se esfuerza a reunirse con lo de qué esta enamorado.
Gracias - my problem was that I read that enamored was not the same as "estar enamorado de alguien" [in love with someone]
Old January 22, 2019, 10:22 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkoiris View Post
Gracias - my problem was that I read that enamored was not the same as "estar enamorado de alguien" [in love with someone]
That's correct: it's possible for them to mean the same thing, but enamored can also mean estar loco por algo.

I found this list of synonyms for the verb enamor: fascinate, bewitch, enchant and enrapture. However, they are not perfect synonyms; depending on the context, some of the time you can use any of them with little difference in meaning, and some of the time the meanings are very different.

Also, the poet published her poem nearly 170 years ago; it's possible that the commonly-accepted meaning and connotation of the word during her time and in her community is different than the meaning and connotation it has for me within my community. Also, Spanish is my second language, and I haven't encountered translation equivalents for enamored very often; it's possible that hechizado is a valid translation for the poet's intended meaning of enamored in this context.

Last edited by wrholt; January 22, 2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old January 24, 2019, 12:54 PM
Opal

Thank you very much for your helpful explanation.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: