Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > Introductions
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

¡Hola, bicolano here wanting to learn Español!

Don't be shy, come introduce yourself.

Old November 26, 2015, 06:04 PM
Opal

JPeeph is on a distinguished road
¡Hola, bicolano here wanting to learn Español!

hi everyone, I am from Philippines. It is sad I missed the opportunity to learn Spanish which was scrapped late in the 80s. I feel there is an importance of learning it as Philippine history is my favorite subject. I, as a Bicolano (Bicol a region on the east coast of Luzon Island) our language is peppered with Spanish idioms. Recently as I watch local news on TV I realized the importance of giving myself a shot of learning Spanish in order for me to appreciate our language. Because we grew up learning English and Filipino (Tagalog) most younger folks would prefer to use English/Tagalog words instead of hispanismos in our language. It may soon be gone that we wont be hearing Spanish words in our language unless most people would appreciate in using it in everyday conversation. Since there is no more Spanish subjects in our schools English/Tagalog words are becoming common. The only way to hear Spanish peppered bicol is through local TV news or listening via AM radio. Spanish idioms in our language are viewed by younger generations as archaic. I believe we should continue the tradition of learning Spanish in order to enrich and appreciate our language. Any help from the forumers here in order for me to learn Spanish the quick way would be greatly appreciated. Gracias!

Here's a sample of our language:

Labi quinientos na residente kan paanan kan bulkan an naka-escapar sa peligro kan pagsabog kan Mayon huli sa atab na pag-aviso kan gobierno na mag-evacuar sa salvadong lugar ngani ma-evitaran an daños y perjuicios sa buhay kan tawo asin mga propriedades.

(Over five hundred villagers living at the foot of Mayon volcano had been warned to evacuate to safer places in order to avoid loss of lives and damage to property.)

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 27, 2015, 06:09 PM
Emerald

Native Language: English
Glen is on a distinguished road
Welcome to you JPeeph. Congratulations on finding this, the best site for learning. The main reason I first joined was Tomísimo's tremendous Idioms section, and it sounds like you might be interested in that section yourself. Feel free to contribute some of the Spanish idioms you are hearing there on local media. Sure the younger generation may consider them archaic, but they still pack a lot of punch in just a few words - plus, they have been a valuable way for me to learn the language!
Again, welcome!
Old December 06, 2015, 11:06 PM
Opal

JPeeph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Welcome to you JPeeph. Congratulations on finding this, the best site for learning. The main reason I first joined was Tomísimo's tremendous Idioms section, and it sounds like you might be interested in that section yourself. Feel free to contribute some of the Spanish idioms you are hearing there on local media. Sure the younger generation may consider them archaic, but they still pack a lot of punch in just a few words - plus, they have been a valuable way for me to learn the language!
Again, welcome!
Thanks!
Old January 30, 2016, 02:17 AM
Opal

nuncatepuedoolvidar is on a distinguished road
Hello JPeeph! It's nice to see a fellow Filipino here (not Bicolano tho. Sorry about that) who appreciates and sees the Spanish language like I do. Although I grew up in Thailand and can communicate well with Tagalog, I can't help but be fascinated how the modern Tagalog has components of the early Spanish vocabulary. Clearly, you have noticed the same and I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Kaya sana magtulungan na lang po tayo dito sa website na ito at ma-enjoy po natin ang pag-aaral ng Español. Natuto lang naman po ako dahil ang girlfriend ko ay lumaki sa Honduras noong 4 years old pa lang sya. At dahil dun, isang taon na po ako nag-eensayo ng Español ko kasi isang taon pa lang po kami. Buen dia y siempre Dios te bendiga!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: