Old March 09, 2012, 02:36 AM
Banned

Native Language: English
gsc is on a distinguished road
Hola de Los Abrigos

Hi everyone.

My name is Gay, my husband is Dave, and we've just bought a house in Los Abrigos, Tenerife. We wanted to avoid the usual touristy places where everyone speaks English and I feel we have the best of both worlds.

We are near the harbour, the only bit that has tourists for the fish restaurants, and near enough to drive or take a bus to holiday areas if we want that, but mainly I want to learn the language and mix with the locals. At the moment I am splitting my time 50-50 between the UK and Tenerife.

I am 60 and my memory is dreadful so I'm having to work very hard at my Spanish which is beginner level.

I look forward to chatting with everyone - in Spanish!!!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 09, 2012, 04:48 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
¡Bienvenida a los foros, Gay!

Hay otro miembro de los foros que vive en Tenerife. Quizá se conozcan.
Old March 09, 2012, 06:19 AM
Banned

Gracias por la bienvenida.

Sí, le envié un mensaje y Perikles respondió, pero no puedo enviar un otro mensaje por ocho horas.
Old March 09, 2012, 06:35 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Welcome from me, and you have answered my PM question. I see you have chosen the village with the best restaurant in Tenerife (Los Roques - I went once when somebody else was paying).

I have found very few Spanish in Tenerife who speak a comprehensible language - almost all speak with what I think is an impenetrable dialect which makes them sound as if they had a speech defect as well as a sock in their mouth. Try not to let that put you off learning.

Edit: cross-posted with the above.
Old March 09, 2012, 06:41 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc View Post
Gracias por la bienvenida.

... no puedo enviar un otro mensaje por ocho horas.
otro = another
otros = other
Old March 09, 2012, 06:55 AM
Banned

Gracias Rusty - hay muy errores mas por venir, estoy seguro.

Tengo síndrome de fatiga cronica y olvidaré casi todo lo que aprendo pero es posible que es simplemente la vejez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Welcome from me, and you have answered my PM question. I see you have chosen the village with the best restaurant in Tenerife (Los Roques - I went once when somebody else was paying).
Yes - there are places one goes only when visitors come to stay and offer a night out as reward for their free accomdation.
Quote:
I have found very few Spanish in Tenerife who speak a comprehensible language - almost all speak with what I think is an impenetrable dialect which makes them sound as if they had a speech defect as well as a sock in their mouth. Try not to let that put you off learning.
I am begining to find that out. Fortunately my builder has an English wife - it's a good start.

Guia de Isora looks very pretty. I haven't been yet. Maybe I will get to meet you some time when I am back in Tenerife.

By the way, Yaisara's, next to Los Roques, is also good and somewhat cheaper with wine at 1.25 euros.

Last edited by Rusty; March 09, 2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts
Old March 10, 2012, 07:21 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc View Post
Hi everyone.

My name is Gay, my husband is Dave, and we've just bought a house in Los Abrigos, Tenerife. We wanted to avoid the usual touristy places where everyone speaks English and I feel we have the best of both worlds.

We are near the harbour, the only bit that has tourists for the fish restaurants, and near enough to drive or take a bus to holiday areas if we want that, but mainly I want to learn the language and mix with the locals. At the moment I am splitting my time 50-50 between the UK and Tenerife.

I am 60 and my memory is dreadful so I'm having to work very hard at my Spanish which is beginner level.

I look forward to chatting with everyone - in Spanish!!!
Hello gay I'm George from Mexico, it's a place to have to here with us, I bid you welcome and well just I have read all your post and I can understand that you have gotten a new house in Spain, that's result wonderful.

Then if you need to help with the translation in anything, please you don't hesitate to ask me help.

Truly yours,
Old March 10, 2012, 10:23 PM
Banned

Buenos Días George

Gracias por sus amables palabras. Esperando mejorar mi Español con la ayuda de todos.
Old March 14, 2012, 02:24 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
You're welcome David,

Not I practice all the days as I did long time before, because I have a lot of issues in my life that they are priority than this ones, although always I can find a short time for me.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: